Author Topic: MONON ABANDONMENT  (Read 36771 times)

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
MONON ABANDONMENT
« on: December 07, 2017, 11:03:58 AM »
INDOT received official notification of abandonment application for the Monon from Bedford to New Albany this morning.   Should see it show up on STB site in next few days.  Have a client looking at OFA at least on North end, so it may not all be dead, but the fat lady is in the wings warming up.
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

xgap

• President
Re: MONON ABANDONMENT
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 12:59:58 PM »
Even so, will they then pull it up?
I assume all trackage up to NS (ex-K&IT).
That figures, after the crossing rebuilds and New Albany's elimination of one way streets and addition of bike lanes.
Hey Scrap, Care to put a scrap value on what is in place vs cost to remove?? Thanks for any info.

oh5oh

• Brakeman
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 03:17:24 PM »
A sad end of an era. I would love to get my hands on a piece of rail if they pull it. A scrap of tie with about a 12"-long piece of rail spiked to it. I remember Monon trains rumbling past my grandparents' home when I was just a bit younger.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 04:56:20 PM »
I donít think they can do Vernia to K&IT yet. It hasnít been OOS long enough. As they only stopped serving the business at Vernia a few months ago.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 08:43:42 AM »
What happened to the Port Authority that wanted it from Bedford South? Since CSX wants to Abandon it, Can they now apply to get it?

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 11:46:13 AM »
They don't seem to exist anymore. If anyone knows of anyone with city/county still interested, have them email me at jlntwo@sidetrackrail.com
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

Bob

• Dispatcher
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 04:29:00 PM »
This article says something about no funding for port authority.
http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2017/06/27-indiana-abandon

Union Depot

• Fireman
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 05:39:20 PM »
Then judging from the last sentence in the third paragraph of the June 27th article in Trains, there had to be at least a figure that CSX had in mind for the sale / lease of the line to the authority?  What was or currently now is the asking price of the line? 
Union Depot - Historic Railroad Images of Vincennes and Surrounding Areas: https://www.flickr.com/photos/82856031@N04/

k9fon

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 07:14:04 PM »
This is sad. Whats next, the Indiana Sub???

Broadway

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 02:18:59 PM »
There's at least business on the Indiana Sub from Loogootee west. I'm not surprised at this -- it's been well more than the 2-year waiting period and not a single shipper has complained. Sad, yes, but you knew it was coming.

k9fon

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 05:58:47 PM »
Oh itll be another trail..... Nope not one online shipper anymore,.

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 07:05:25 PM »
INDOT received official notification of abandonment application for the Monon from Bedford to New Albany this morning.   Should see it show up on STB site in next few days.

Officially filed today from OOQ252 (looks like just south of E Fork White River) to OOQ314 which appears to be just north of I265. Whoops, that's what the map shows but the filing says "near Bedford, milepost OOQ251.7, and near New Albany, milepost OOQ314.0. A whopping .3 mile difference from the map.

All 17 pages here:

https://www.stb.gov/filings/all.nsf/ba7f93537688b8e5852573210004b318/b3a39be7d45bc330852581fb0071675a/$FILE/244875.pdf

k9fon

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 07:47:59 PM »
Why is the trackage north of the river excluded?

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 08:31:45 PM »

Because it has had local traffic move over it in past 2 years. (Now closed Pillsbury)

Wema

• Dispatcher
  • A Rail History Nut
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 09:45:07 PM »
Interesting starting point. Why not the entire line in Bedford?

k9fon

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 09:53:37 PM »
Because it has had local traffic move over it in past 2 years. (Now closed Pillsbury)

I was talking about the track above the white river to Bedford...

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2017, 10:26:16 PM »
Can anyone be more specific (say on a google image) as to where these mileposts are? I think I can understand keeping that much of the south end because of Pillsbury.

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2017, 11:51:13 PM »

Are the wrecked container wells still up near the river, or have they been removed yet?

IndyKing

• Mogul
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2017, 11:55:32 PM »
Can anyone be more specific (say on a google image) as to where these mileposts are? I think I can understand keeping that much of the south end because of Pillsbury.
Ralph, I don't have a Google image, but MP OOQ251.7 is exactly 1.7 miles South of the White River bridge and very close to the CR 500 S crossing at Yockey.  Interestingly, that is also the division point between the Bedford and Best DTC blocks.  MP OOQ314 is the location of the small bridge over Slate Run, which is where the switch into the former industrial park is located, just North of I-265 in New Albany.  As has been discussed, the section to the South of Mount Tabor Road (MP OOQ314.26) has been used more recently for switching Pillsbury.  However, the section North of CR 500 S (a.k.a. Yockey Road) was used to store a large cut of spine cars until it appears that someone set them rolling and they wrecked.  I don't recall exactly when that was, but it was within the last 5 years.  Since that portion of the line was being used for storage (they looked like TTX cars), and thus revenue generation, the track there may not be permitted to be abandoned just yet.

Are the wrecked container wells still up near the river, or have they been removed yet?
I can't speak to the area near the river, as being able to view that would require being on private property, but the cars that were near Yockey Road were removed a while back.
Cheers, Al

Wema

• Dispatcher
  • A Rail History Nut
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2017, 12:39:26 AM »