Author Topic: PSCI (IRR) wreck - Azalia, September 1941  (Read 1138 times)

jsaviator

PSCI (IRR) wreck - Azalia, September 1941
« on: December 01, 2017, 11:38:24 AM »
Anyone know exactly where was the collision between PSCI (ex-IRR) car 78 and a work car on September 8, 1941 that put an end to the Indianapolis-Seymour line? From a post on a Columbus (IN) forum, the idea I get is that supposedly it was around six miles north of Azalia, much closer to Columbus than to Azalia. Quote: "the accident that resulted in the closing of the interurban line occurred behind, west, of the Burbrink Farm on South Gladstone Avenue. I think that road was known at Azalia Road at that time." Another source says that it was "two miles south" of Columbus,  which would match what the post in the forum says (this area indicated by the red arrowhead). Attached is a clip from "The Singing Wire-Volume II" showing Car 78 and the work car at the collision site. It appears to me that there is another car on a siding to the rear of the southbound work car. According to a list I have, sidings south of Columbus were: Troy siding (MP 46.6), Newsom siding (MP 48.7) and Morris siding (MP 50.8)--for reference, Azalia is listed at MP 51.8. If it's Morris siding, that would put the accident at the second (north) half of an S-curve north of Azalia (at the green arrowhead). Anyone have more than that?

« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 12:23:26 PM by jsaviator »

cattdaddy1951

• Fireman
Re: PSCI (IRR) wreck - Azalia, September 1941
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 11:50:05 AM »
If you can find a copy of The Magic Interurban by George Bradley there is significant coverage of the accident. It occurred on a curve which doesnt show on your Google map and I think was farther south than the descriptions said. A work motor was heading south to rescue what they thought was an istranded passenger car. In reality, the high speed car was travelling north towards a fateful collision with the motor. Several fatalities and it ended all service on the line for good.

jsaviator

Re: PSCI (IRR) wreck - Azalia, September 1941
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 12:25:05 PM »
I revised my post after your reply-- if it was farther south than the other forum stated, then maybe just south of Morris siding at MP 50.8 is a good candidate for the location.