Author Topic: USS Indianapolis FYI  (Read 1255 times)

BantaRail

• Superintendent
USS Indianapolis FYI
« on: November 06, 2017, 04:50:59 PM »
In LIFE magazine of November 1936 is a great article with photos of the USS Indianapolis.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
Re: USS Indianapolis FYI
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 10:16:02 AM »
Sad story but great piece of history.  I try and watch it every time itís on the history channel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freightrain

• Superintendent
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 04:52:53 PM »
Have you seen the recent movie.with Nichilos Cage

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 06:57:49 PM »
Have you seen the recent movie.with Nichilos Cage
No, just saw previews of it about a week ago.  Iím sure Iíll see it

BantaRail

• Superintendent
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 12:47:21 PM »
I did not know there was a movie. Is it on DVD?

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 01:00:53 PM »
Thereís actually an episode on smithsonian channel this weekend for those with xfinity

Freightrain

• Superintendent
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 09:57:17 AM »
 I saw it on Netflix

BantaRail

• Superintendent
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 01:53:15 PM »
I do not have cable / sat.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 06:18:30 PM »
Me Either.

Sharky1

• Dispatcher
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 10:56:44 PM »
Well not much of a story. They were torpedoed and sunk in about 5 minutes. About half the crew died in the sinking and the rest feed the sharks for three and a half days. Really awful ordeal. Of 1126 sailors 317 were rescued.

Any real story starts after the rescue as the navy looks for a scapegoat. The Capitan was court marshaled after the war was over. He was blamed for not zigzagging on his way to the base they were headed to despite the fact that there were no enemy subs reported active in the area and the fact that fast ships like a cruiser were generally considered as moving too fast to give a good shot to hunting subs.

Only decades after the war was it revealed that the weapon that sunk the Indianapolis was a secret type called a "Kaiten" which was a maned kamikaze weapon. The captain of the sub which launched the attack was called to the court marshal and testified that the failure of the Indianapolis to zigzag made no difference as his attack would have succeed either way but he was not allowed to speak of the Kaiten torpedo as the navy had classified it as secret. The accuracy of the torpedo as well as the larger warhead were responsible for extremely rapid sinking of Indianapolis and the high loss of life. The use of the Kaiten torpedo was not revealed for some 50 years after the incident.

Captain Charles B. McVay III was convicted by the Court but the conviction was remitted by Admiral Nimitz and McVay continued his navy career until 1949 when he retired as a Rear Admiral. The sinking weighed on him through the years and he died at the age of 70 in 1968 when he committed suicide. He was found in his front yard with a toy soldier in one hand and the gun he was killed by in the other.
There a fine line between a 'hobby' and a 'mental illness'.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 12:34:14 AM »

Only decades after the war was it revealed that the weapon that sunk the Indianapolis was a secret type called a "Kaiten" which was a maned kamikaze weapon. The captain of the sub which launched the attack was called to the court marshal and testified that the failure of the Indianapolis to zigzag made no difference as his attack would have succeed either way but he was not allowed to speak of the Kaiten torpedo as the navy had classified it as secret. The accuracy of the torpedo as well as the larger warhead were responsible for extremely rapid sinking of Indianapolis and the high loss of life. The use of the Kaiten torpedo was not revealed for some 50 years after the incident.

Are you sure a Kaiten was used?  Iím not an expert on the Indy but I have read multiple articles and watched what I can about it and everything Iíve come across mentioned the use of 6 conventional torpedoes, 2-3 of which hit the Indy. 

Sharky1

• Dispatcher
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 09:28:55 PM »
Google "kaiten uss indianapolis" and you will find several references.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
USS Indianapolis FYI
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2018, 10:59:51 PM »
Google "kaiten uss indianapolis" and you will find several references.
I did some research a while back and kaitens being highly unreliable and according to Hashimoto himself were not used.  I found an article that says it sourced the us naval historical center and they even have Indianapolis listed as being sunk with conventional torpedos

« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 08:24:58 PM by Rick »

Sharky1

• Dispatcher
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 03:18:25 PM »
I did some research a while back and kaitens being highly unreliable and according to Hashimoto himself were not used.  I found an article that says it sourced the us naval historical center and they even have Indianapolis listed as being sunk with conventional torpedos

When governments try and control the reporting of information, the truth can become obscured. For decades the Kaitens were not an issue. Then more info came out and some revisionist historian wrote the story that the testimony about the Kaitens was suppressed and they had been used. FYI the testimony that the Indianapolis had sent an SOS message before sinking which had been ignored was suppressed because the Navy found it unflattering. Since the story was written citing the Kaitens, more info has been released correcting that so I have changed my thoughts on this.

"Oh what a tangled web......."