Author Topic: The Blizzard of '49  (Read 646 times)

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
The Blizzard of '49
« on: November 04, 2017, 08:18:34 AM »
This is a great documentary of the 1949 Storm of the Century that hit Wyoming, Nebraska and the Dakotas.  I watched the entire program and had my attention the whole time. I encourage you to watch the first 3 minutes to get a sense of how bad the storm was and before you know it you will be at the 17:00 mark.  ;)   However, if you only want the railroad part, go to the 17:00 mark and watch.  5 UP employees died in the line of duty.

cattdaddy1951

• Fireman
Re: The Blizzard of '49
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 01:29:51 PM »
What a fascinating story ! The strength and resilience of the people in that era is amazing, but many had, no doubt, weathered the Great Depression and knew how to survive. I shudder to think of today's populace dealing with all of this hardship without constant complaining and threats of lawsuits ! It was a different time for sure. Thanks for posting this !!!!
Tim

wolfeden

• Conductor
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
Re: The Blizzard of '49
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 01:35:33 PM »
The report of the upside down rainbow and the amount of snow a keyhole will let into a house surprised me. I watched the whole documentary twice. We think we had it hard here with the blizzards we have been through. They compare nothing to what this documentary shows.