Author Topic: Lawrence Indiana Interurban Station  (Read 1485 times)

cattdaddy1951

• Fireman
Lawrence Indiana Interurban Station
« on: October 18, 2017, 03:16:11 PM »
Anyone know how I could find out when the station in Lawrence at Franklin Road was built by the Interurban company. I have seen photos dated 1920 but I know it was there long before that. Appreciate any help any one can give.
Thanks, Tim

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
Re: Lawrence Indiana Interurban Station
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 03:58:58 PM »
As I recall, that was a combo depot/substation, so it was likely built at the time the line was built. Which was...umm...dang it, I can't remember exactly. It was about 1901.
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

cattdaddy1951

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 04:18:18 PM »
Yes it was a combo station with a spur into the building I guess for servicing. Found a great pic from historical society dated 1940 when the line was on borrowed time.  I was able to find an aerial but it is from 1936. I am sure the station was built much earlier, as you say, in 1901 when the line was built. My boss owns the property and that is what prompted all of this.
Thanks for the info.

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 06:58:58 PM »
Really? Neat! I think the station was at the core of the car dealership building last I found. Never stopped to try to investigate and prove it though.
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

cattdaddy1951

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 11:29:41 AM »
Here is the station in 1940. Notice the spur entering the building. Where the tracks and high speed are is now a quonset hut. The station has been added on to on all sides but is still there. Beyond the interurban is Franklin Road crossing and to the left is the Big Four now CSX double track. Notice, too, the waiting shelters for both roads and even a privy off to the left. How times have changed !

Sharky1

• Dispatcher
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 05:19:38 PM »
So the camera would have been near 47th st looking southwest?

This must have been very near the end of interurban line. Shame really because would have been business to ft. Harrison during the war.

I was always curious about the spurs into the Fort and how the Interurban line was at the stop for Harrison.
There a fine line between a 'hobby' and a 'mental illness'.

cattdaddy1951

• Fireman
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 06:56:38 PM »
Yes looking southwest,47th st. is to the right.

If IRR could have held on, this line would have been a godsend for Fort Harrison.

As it turned out, every available bus,including some made out of tractor trailers (see photo - Greyhound had it too, and maybe was an IRR bus formerly)were pressed into service ferrying soldiers from downtown  to the fort.

IRR was trying to end it's receivership and they sold off the rails and property to achieve that. If this line had been saved, it could have been the first Rapid Transit line into Indy. But that's a "what if" question !

IndyHog

• President
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 07:51:37 PM »
Where did the Interurban cross the Big Four to get to Ft Ben?  DX?
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......wait a minute, He's much worse

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 08:08:11 PM »
Where did the Interurban cross the Big Four to get to Ft Ben?  DX?

As I recall it did not cross the Big Four in the Indianapolis area except under(?) downtown. It came up along the east side of Fall Creek to 38th St where it turned and ran along the north side of 38th St (still R O W evidence there) and turned where 38th today goes over the former Big Four, then along side and north of the steam line.

IndyHog

• President
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 08:31:32 PM »
Thanks Ralph.  It may have come up College to Fall Creek and then onward. Have to try and catch those remnants sometime.

Looks like E 38th St North Dr. and  Lennington Dr. my have been built directly over/near the old right of way.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 09:05:34 PM by IndyHog »
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......wait a minute, He's much worse

21st Century Limited

• Fireman
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 09:28:19 PM »
Actually, the line out to the fort came up the middle of Martindale Ave, now Andrew J Brown Ave. Then past Sutherland Ave, the line ran at the very eastern edge of the old NKP north yard between Martindale Ave then yes, it swung due east down the left side of 38th St.

Sharky1

• Dispatcher
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 10:48:00 PM »
I understand that there was a stop for Ft. Harrison and since the interurban was on the north side of the NYC it was not a problem but I also believe that there were many rail served warehouse buildings on the fort and there would have had to have crossings of the interurban by these lines.  Also there were rail served buildings south of the NYC around Post Road that I can remember being removed in the late 1960's which were quickly replaced by the mobil home parks that are there today.
There a fine line between a 'hobby' and a 'mental illness'.

cattdaddy1951

• Fireman
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 12:50:51 AM »
The interurban turned north and followed Post Road to 56th where it had a big loop and station for Fort Harrison. Station is still there and in use as a business.

The NYC crossed the interurban farther northeast to serve the Fort and it crossed again at Pendleton for service to the Indiana State Reformatory.

George Bradleys book "The Magic Interurban" has photos of this and is an excellent source of info.