Author Topic: Best time to watch trains on NS Chicago District, NS Marion Branch, and CSX Main  (Read 866 times)

EL1992

• Brakeman
  • Route of the Pheobe Snow
I've tried railfanning both the Chicago District (Chicago-Fort Wayne) and CSX Main (Chicago-Deshler) several times and have had very little luck on both lines. I've heard both tend to be busier in the morning but for the life of me, I've only caught maybe 1 or 2 trains on either line. Does anyone have any idea what time of day traffic tends to be up on both lines. I've also looked into watching traffic on the Marion Branch, but with the other two, have no good idea when traffic is at its heaviest.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
The Chicago District and Marion District have ATCS. You can get the files and watch for yourself.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

EL1992

• Brakeman
  • Route of the Pheobe Snow
How would I do that? I've heard of it, but have no idea how it works

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
Well the first step is to join this group.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ATCS_Monitor

Warning, they can be a bit thorny. Make sure to respond to the message you get to get accepted.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

huelsy

• Conductor
I go to Deshler quite often, and at least around there the busy time starts around 5 PM and runs to about 9 AM.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
With work going on in Elkhart, I'm not 100% sure but the Marion branch could be a little backed up because of stop boards at 421.  After the hit pedestrian on Laporte the other night, it was a mess getting through 421.  Trains backed up everywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk