Author Topic: Railfanning on motorcycle/motor scooter  (Read 572 times)

central1751

• Dispatcher
  • 6.6 miles from destiny. April 30th 1900
Railfanning on motorcycle/motor scooter
« on: July 30, 2017, 10:24:55 AM »
Any others here enjoy railfanning on 2 wheels?   Looking for someone to explore lines both active and abandon on 2 wheels.  I ride a 250cc motor scooter, light, nimble and fun to ride.   But my railfanning buddy doesn't ride.   I find its much more enjoyable on the scooter as I can hear and see more. Easier to stop and park to explore a bit on foot.  Lots of great areas to ride to the north around Logansport, Peru, ect.       Mike
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 10:35:36 AM by central1751 »

jdonutken

• Engineer
Re: Railfanning on motorcycle/motor scooter
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 11:02:10 AM »
Sounds like fun, but, alas, I live too far away to join you, and inner ear troubles have made it wise for me to step away from 2-wheels :(  Funny, but reading your post, I realized never used mine to railfan anyway; just cruised the countryside.  Surely you'll find someone to pal up with , and have great times  :)  Obviously, your post struck a nerve with, otherwise I wouldn't be writing this :)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 10:48:03 PM by jdonutken »
Costello: Never the twain shall meet.
Abbott: Which twain?
Costello: The twain on twack twee!

central1751

• Dispatcher
  • 6.6 miles from destiny. April 30th 1900
Re: Railfanning on motorcycle/motor scooter
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 06:18:17 PM »
The do make scooters that are reverse trikes. No balance needed.   Piaggio makes them, they go for around 2500-3500 bucks.  There is also the can am spyder reverse trike that is more motorcycle like.   I have a couple non train friends that ride those due to balance or bad knees.   I choose the lighter scooter as when I had my heavy motorcycle, backing up was nearly impossible unless the ground was flat, and holding the bike up at lights took both of my legs most of the time, with just my left leg down(the way your taught), I felt very unstable.     Mike