Author Topic: Proto-freelance Logansport & Eel River beyond the Iron Horse festival  (Read 755 times)

central1751

• Dispatcher
  • 6.6 miles from destiny. April 30th 1900
Small layout idea.  How about taking the the L&ER beyond the museum and the once a year Iron Horse Festival in the 1980's(man that was a fun time as a kid!!).  Lets say that Conrail decides to divest itself of the line from Logan to Kokomo much earlier than they did when the WS took it over and now US Rail(for the moment).  So not only do we have old No 1 2-8-0 but the need for a couple diesels to handle the grain and fertilizer traffic.  If we want to go wild, we could say the line to Winamac wasn't lifted, instead of the trail we see today, grain traffic coming south from Kokomo Grain gets interchanged with the NS, either at Logansport or taken south to interchange with whatever line is handling traffic from Kokomo to Marion where the grain out of Kokomo currently goes.  I have a model found to model the 2-8-0 with and I am thinking a low hood GP35, painted in PRR Brunswick green but with the lettering in white instead of the gold on PRR diesels.  The short hood nose would have the L&ER Keystone on it. I would set the line in the late 1980's just before CERA took over the Kokomo operations from the NS.  As I was just a young boy when the Iron Horse festival was in it prime, is there anything else in Logan that the L&ER could have possibly  served other than what is there today?   I can think of Ernie's Fertilizer on the south side, the freight car rebuild shop there along 18th street.   Was the coal plant there near were the passenger cars were kept, getting rail traffic back then?   Or the lumber yard?      Mike

central1751

• Dispatcher
Motive power is now set with a total of three 2-8-0 steamers with the original one being the actual No1 they had in real life.  The other two are an ex ATSF 1950 class and a ex-PRR H10 that was donated to my proto-freelance museum/shortline.   Freight duties handled by the lone GP35 with the occasional steamer in a pinch or on special occasions.  All models are older brass imports.  The ATSF 1950 class consolidation is from PFM/United, the H10 is an old Gem/Olympia import, the ex BC&G engine(based on a C&O G9 class 2-8-0) is an OMI/Ajin import that will come out of layaway in late October of this year, then go for modifications and professional painting next summer.  The lone diesel, ex PRR GP35 is an older OMI/Ajin import.   I m working on track plans now, need to do some scouting in Logansport to take pics and get some ideas of what I want to model.  Was there anything taking rail traffic in Logan in the mid 1980's?   I was to young to remember any of that.  Just remember the train and riding in the cab out to France Park.  I will be hunting some some more MDC PRR 4 axle passenger coaches this coming train show season.  Here is a pic of the ex PRR H10, she is in the back shop now, got tuned up, decaled and is waiting on a constant lighting circuit that I have misplaced at the moment. 

central1751

• Dispatcher
Re: Proto-freelance Logansport & Eel River beyond the Iron Horse festival
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 01:46:45 PM »
Ok, here is the fictional sister to the original Iron Horse engine No1.  She got a full backshop on the drive, constant lighting and new decals done by Cederleaf Graphics.  Still need to get some PRR style keystones for the boiler face.  Still has the round style that PRR used on the H class engines.