Author Topic: Indiana Sub update  (Read 345762 times)

indyspy

• Jay Gould
  • Resident ATCS guru.
Re: Indiana Sub update
« Reply #2840 on: September 13, 2020, 02:13:47 AM »
Just an update on the far east end of the Indiana Sub. Last reported signal upgrades in 2018.

CSXT went total spend spree upgrading the line for PTC. (And adding in CTC)

CW Cabin and CP Oklahoma is now Rule 261 DOUBLE TRACK CTC. With at least 2 automatics on cantilevers. And two home signals on cantilevers. Also electric time locks on everything connecting to the mains.

CW Cabin to Finney is Rule 261 CTC with power switches on both ends and electric time locks on all hand throws.

Finney to Dearbone is also now also 261 both tracks. (This was the 4 mile long section of double track). There is a set of automatics on both tracks at the coal plant halfway. They didn't change the offset arrangement from when it had spring switches both ends. So another section of Double track CTC.

Lawrenceburg remains a CTC point, but retains existing hardware.

That was a LOT of money on tracks used for locals, detours, and a storage main for pounding racks to the CIND.

So it seems CTC is in effect on all mains from Lawrenceburg to Oklahoma
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 08:13:09 PM by indyspy »
If in doubt, Notch it out!

indyspy

• Jay Gould
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #2841 on: September 13, 2020, 08:21:58 PM »
Here is one of the new fancy supermain signals....... for a parking spot.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #2842 on: September 13, 2020, 08:27:27 PM »
Iím the grand scheme of things, the line side signal hardware isnít the most expensive part of the project. 

indyspy

• Jay Gould
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #2843 on: September 13, 2020, 08:46:15 PM »
Iím the grand scheme of things, the line side signal hardware isnít the most expensive part of the project.

True. But i do think this is a small case of the signal department going a little overboard. But with reason.

Mind you, going completely overboard like this does have its advantages. It requires no time wasting filings with the federal government. So there are advantages this method, particularly when your staring a PTC mandate down.
It also didnít require getting the track department involved. Which we saw how long that delayed the IU rebuild.

Mind you, this was done about the same time South Vernia got PTC which never got used once. So there are downsides.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #2844 on: September 14, 2020, 09:22:28 AM »
There is a good volume of extremely well paying TIH/PIH traffic that originates and terminates between CP Oklahoma and Aurora.  Essentially, CSXT was faced with fighting with a large national customer to discontinue service to them or upgrade the work limits of the local to PTC standards.  Much easier (and likely less expensive) to do their standard installation as if it was a heavy duty mainline vs. engineering some one off solution for this section.   Notice nothing has been done west of the local's operating area.   
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

Wema

• Chief Dispatcher
  • A Rail History Nut
« Reply #2845 on: September 14, 2020, 01:49:30 PM »
There is a good volume of extremely well paying TIH/PIH traffic that originates and terminates between CP Oklahoma and Aurora.  Essentially, CSXT was faced with fighting with a large national customer to discontinue service to them or upgrade the work limits of the local to PTC standards.  Much easier (and likely less expensive) to do their standard installation as if it was a heavy duty mainline vs. engineering some one off solution for this section.   Notice nothing has been done west of the local's operating area.
Not being familiar with the area (and not seeing anything obvious in Google Maps), what large customers are in the area are getting TIH/PIH traffic?

Thanks in advance.  :)

indyspy

• Jay Gould
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #2846 on: October 09, 2020, 08:51:01 PM »
Well. Back in late April/May someone posted a photo of new signals for an interlocking on the LIRC at Seymour.

I suggested the person should have looked around the area a little more thoroughly.

Well I did and I was right. I found the rest of the "puzzle"

First is there is a new active approach signal for North bounds in Seymour. Right now it's only partially active since the new interlocking isn't active. (Ignore the dishes, the homeowner has them a little close to the ROW, must love when a train comes)

I thought, okay well that is probably all... until i got to North Vernon.

Laying out north of the CMPA interchange yard is a complete new set of signals for the CSXT at Seymour, for the diamond, the CSXT side of the LIRC connection, and one automatic block east of Seymour. How do I know, they are taped with the location of where they go.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 09:14:24 PM by indyspy »

indyspy

• Jay Gould
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #2847 on: October 09, 2020, 09:04:54 PM »
These have definitely just been offloaded here and left.... likely all summer.

indyspy

• Jay Gould
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #2848 on: October 09, 2020, 09:12:48 PM »
More.

indyspy

• Jay Gould
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #2849 on: October 30, 2020, 03:34:50 AM »

Small correction. PTC limits end at Dearborn interlocking. Existing CPL signaling was left in place Lawrenceburg westwards. I guess if the local has to go switch Continental Grain and Barge in Aurora they are to not take any nasty stuff with them past Dearborn.

You can see the CPLs for Lawrenceburg in this Jaw Tooth video. As well as the new tri-lights at Dearborn

mflaugher

• Brakeman
« Reply #2850 on: February 19, 2021, 12:55:29 PM »
Yesterday, Feb 18,2021 on WBIW website: "(DAVIESS CO.) Ė The Indiana Department of Transportation announces a complete closure for a railroad crossing on State Road 57 in Washington. Beginning on or around Monday, March 1, crews with CSX will begin a project to replace the railroad crossing in Washington between Railroad Street and East South Street. Work is expected to last for about four days depending upon weather conditions. During the closure, local traffic will have access up to the point of closure, but all thru traffic should use the official detour following U.S. 50, I-69, and S.R. 58.  INDOT urges drivers to slow down and stay alert near crews.