Author Topic: Indiana Sub update  (Read 345768 times)

HoosierVirg

• President
Re: Indiana Sub update
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2008, 11:26:13 AM »
I remember the ties, etc, sitting there by the crossing in Osgood when I would go to Osgood to take my recycling stuff up to the center. I would also stop to eat at the Whistle Stop, guess I won't be eating there the next time, bummer.
Have a good and safe day!

Go Reds!

KM9X

• Conductor
  • I am near High Bridge MP 048 IN SUB
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2008, 12:07:06 PM »
Hot report from Osgood, westbound today with 6 engines, and 92 cars.. reported by kids, so no idea on any other details, but I can't remember seeing 6 engines on any train through here in years.
All for now

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2008, 02:02:34 PM »
I heard Q 573 down on the LCL Sub yesterday and wondered why it wasn't running on the Indiana Sub. While at the local McDonalds today two CSX guys came in and I asked them what was going on. The young guy told me that they hadn't run a train in the Indiana Sub since Thursday as the L&I is doing some track and bridge work south of Seymour. He said that was good in a way because they have been clearing a lot of trees off the track from the storms we have had the last couple of days. I asked him about the mysterious 100,000 ties and he grinned and said someone else got those. He did tell me that a track gang had just put quite a few new ties in the North Vernon siding.

Go Reds!

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 03:10:34 PM »
While it probably will not have any affect on the sub west of the Trautman Yard based St Joe Switcher's limits, a new customer is having tracks installed off the Indiana Sub.  Lone Star Cement in Saylor Park OH is getting tracks installed.  This is a new barge/rail/truck cement terminal that the local residents fought so hard against.  Also, a number of the main line switches along River Road are getting attention (new ties, etc.)
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2008, 10:54:06 AM »
I noticed the work at Lone Star on Thursday when I headed to Cincinnati to see the Reds play. Ballast is down and ties are there but seems like no work being done on the siding right now.

Go Reds!

KM9X

• Conductor
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2008, 02:59:12 AM »
Here is a "Scraphauler" type question:
 I was in Aurora a few weeks ago to enjoy hot wings at HOOSIERS.., and ran into Lburg when I heard an engine switching out cars. Caught them up at the old Schenley plant. Went on running around. Heard a CSX train, westbound, and it was about dark. I found it creeping into Aurora, I cut down by Cochran and under US 50. It was two engines and about 20 coal cars... It stopped for a good while,and then moved on west. I dont think it ever made it to MIlan, or tripped the scanner at Delaware or High Bridge  near my house.
Last week, coming back from HOOSIERS, I heard CSX engine calling out east end of Aurora and chased it down at cochran again, sat and watched this time. It had about a dozen coal cars, but also had tank cars (sulfuric acid) and some other mixed freight. They took forever but did a run around on that side track and looked to be headed back to Cincinnati.
I assume they must have pick up something, tank cars and bulk cars make sense, but where are these full coal cars coming from or going to??
I couldnt find any tracks going into the foundry.
I'll bet someone has a full picture of activity down there. Looks like it's enough to enjoy from time to time, as I've got some good pics in those areas this year.
dan

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2008, 08:57:31 AM »
Sounds like you saw the St Joe Switcher (J747 or J748 if I remember symbols correctly).  Crew is based at Trautman yard, which is pretty well the EAST end of their customer responsibilities.  (The tank car customers along the double track closer to Cincinnati, CGB at Riverside , and the Port of Cincinnati at CP Oklahoma are served by a yard job out of Queensgate).   Just east of Trautman is a CGB grain facility (former Indiana Grain), then (going west) is CF Industries (fertilizer - tanks and covered hoppers) Kinder Morgan/River Transportation (Rail to River/River to Rail facility - all sorts of traffic), future Lone Star site,  CGB Northbend (grain, fertilizer, coal, coke - covered and open top hoppers), CIND Interchange (all sorts of traffic), another fertilizer terminal who's name escapes me at Ft Miami (covered hoppers), DuPont at Ft Miami (tankers - sulfuric acid, etc), then CGB at Aurora (Coal, Coke, Pig Iron/HBI, grain - covered and open top hoppers, gondolas).   Crew then runs around train at Aurora in what tracks remain out there and returns east. They work customers in both directions - for example, CGB Northbend plus inbounds to CIND are worked on way west, and cars from CIND are picked up on way east. 

Coal cars you saw where likely either coal or coke off river loaded at one of the CGB docks.
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

KM9X

• Conductor
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2008, 04:12:02 PM »
I knew you would hav ethe answers..

ALSO:
I have it from a source that the WHISTLESTOP restaurant is under new management and open again in Osgood.

Just in case you want a bite while waiting on a west bound.

dan

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2008, 12:56:02 PM »
The symbols for the St Joe Switcher are J786 and J787, thanks for the list of industries along the Indiana Sub Scraphauler, I drive along 50 three or four times a month to to the Reds games and have made a list of the industries switched but missed some of them and you completed the list. Dan, I saw the Whistlestop was opened again when I was there last week. An added note here, as you drive west along 50 just west of Dillsboro on the right , north, side of the highway you will see a CSX caboose on private property. I believe the side/intersecting road is 750. If you turn left,south, on that road and go to the end and look off to the left you will see another caboose in the little patch of woods there. The gentlemen who owns that caboose is/was the engineer on the St. Joe Switcher. A friend took me over a few years back to see the caboose and I met the owner and got him the history of the caboose, he found out I was a fan so asked if I would do that for him. He got the caboose out of DeCoursey Yard years ago. He has it fixed up nicely now for his cabin in the woods.

Go Reds!

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2008, 01:43:29 AM »
Going to the Reds game tonight I noticed the track has been laid into the Lone Star facility now. I found a CSX track crew working on a switch around Anderson Ferry on CSX but saw their truck hi-railing along on the CIND down to the switch. I also noticed at Valley Junction the CIND was in the process of unloading a larger trailer office for the site. Later coming home noticed it was unloaded and in place.

Go Reds!

KM9X

• Conductor
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2009, 05:49:35 PM »
What is happening on the Indiana Sub. I have not heard the Delaware scanner trip for a good while, maybe before Christmas. no " EAST END OF OSGOOD" transmissions on the scanner.
Dan Osgood

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2009, 08:54:22 PM »
What is happening on the Indiana Sub. I have not heard the Delaware scanner trip for a good while, maybe before Christmas. no " EAST END OF OSGOOD" transmissions on the scanner.
Dan Osgood

Short answer - nothing happening out there.  The traffic that had been moving over the line is overflow traffic from the LCL Sub (Shortline) between Cincinnati and Louisville.  By CSXT service design, Louisville traffic is heavily dependant upon automotive traffic.  Louisville handles classification of automotive (parts and finished) while Cincinnati concentrates more on general merchandise.  With the auto industry in the shape it's in, traffic at Louisville is down significantly.  Subsequently, traffic on the LCL between Cincinnati and Louisville is down to a level that an overflow route between the two yards is no longer needed.  I don't think anything has run through Osgood since early December.   Short of an extra trying to stuff more storage cars in what little empty passing sidings remain, or possibly an extra digging cars out of a storage cut for some reason, I would imagine it will be several months before traffic is back up enough on the LCL to start the B&O-LIRC routing again - That is of course until CSX piles one up on the LCL and you get a day or two of heavy detour traffic.

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2009, 10:22:20 PM »
Hey Dan, as scraphauler said Q573 and Q511 the two that were running on the Indiana Sub have moved back down on the LCL Sub. They have been gone for awhile now, the scanner is quiet out here isn't it? I just got back from Louisville where I was for a couple days and I heard 573 at Central Avenue as I spent some time at LaGrange watching an auto train go east today. O'Bannon Yard by the Ford plant is shut down right now, was strange to drive in there today and not see any activity and see all the auto transport trailers parked and stored back by where they load the autoracks.
Virg in Versailles

Go Reds!

storrs19

• President
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2009, 09:32:41 AM »
"By CSXT service design, Louisville traffic is heavily dependent upon automotive traffic."  That is an understatement if there ever was one, LOL.  That is seemingly I ever see here on CSX :( 

I did hear the local get blocks from North Vernon to Mitchell the other day though so he was making a trip along the seldom used middle portion of the B&OSW.  They were proceed blocks which is good in that it means the CPL signals are still functioning.
Following the remains of the B&O in Southern Indiana

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2009, 01:07:55 PM »
Signals should be working okay, hear the signal maintainer out here asking for time to work a couple of times a week. I heard the local over at North Vernon a couple of days ago too. Still very quiet on the Indiana Sub.

Go Reds!

KM9X

• Conductor
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2009, 02:52:04 PM »
This picture tells it all!
NOTHING MOVING
Snowed last Tuesday and took the pic Saturday Jan 31

oat324

• Dispatcher
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2009, 04:35:38 PM »
Time for CSX to sell the line to the Indiana Railroad. What a system that would be. 8)

glendale

• Brakeman
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2009, 06:43:01 PM »
I heard they have cars stored on both mains in a few spots

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2009, 12:30:22 PM »
I took  a ride through the Jefferson Proving Grounds yesterday and noticed that there are about 100 more cars in storage, about 50 more CSX steel/scraphauling gondolas, about 25 more of the nice new black tankers IIRC they are CFTX, not sure on those reporting marks, and the rest are CSX covered hoppers. The 100 "new" cars in storage have come in since my visit last week, must keep J 780 coming over from Mitchell pretty busy getting them to North Vernon for the Madison to pick them up.

Go Reds!

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2009, 09:17:28 PM »
In addition to operating a large fleet of cars primarily hauling, well, you figure it out  ;D , the company I work for is also heavily into railcar leasing.  Fortunately, we do not have that many cars idle (in storage), but other companies are not nearly as fortunate.  In our weekly meeting last week, our VP said that out of the roughly 1.9 million railcars in North America, over 400,000 are currently in storage, and that number is expected to pass the half million mark very soon.  Railcar storage is at a premium right now and helping shortlines and other with excess track (museums, etc.) weather the current economic storm.   .