Author Topic: Indiana Sub update  (Read 345636 times)

HoosierVirg

• President
Indiana Sub update
« on: June 16, 2008, 10:41:42 PM »
I heard on the scanner today Q671-16 on the Indiana Sub, first time I have heard this one. I believe there are two new ones because of the flooding in Iowa. They are Q671 and Q670 running from St Louis to Cincinnati, been awhile since we've had that kind of through traffic coming this way. Suppose to run for about a week.
Have a good and safe day!

Go Reds!

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
Re: Indiana Sub update
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 11:53:39 AM »
I once had an old head tell me there was one thing to be scared of anytime it happened (actually as a railroader there are many, but this is just one) he said to worry anytime your line has traffic moved due to a derailment, flooding, or anything like that.  When I asked why, he simply said that any time the railroad moves traffic, they reevaluate its times/crew use/mileage and that may not be good for you.
He said that more times then not, when the railroad wants to move a train, they use this for a reason.
It was very true too.

Not saying it will happen, but it can.

An evaluation trip is what got trains back on the Frankfort District from Lafayette to Muncie in 96...!
People in the traffic office change, and they may like what the past people/leaders didn't!

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 02:13:37 PM »
One might be worried about that, but the Q671 out of Cincy is 95% cars for the UP at Salem.  They get picked up by Q377 and handed off as a one nice complete train.  Going via the B&O would require that side to 'shove' the cars onto the UP at Salem, or send them to Avon for humping and then forwarding.  Works better to just run the Q671 via Indy to help move those UP Salem cars quicker and easier.

Normally Q671 only has a handful of cars for St Louis.  Those cars go to the A&S.

Practice Safe CSX

storrs19

• President
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 12:31:08 PM »
This is indeed a treat.  I would love to see some regular through traffic on the B&O.  I get tired of everything being diverted to the same line.  The B&O has had about a dozen "brushes with death" over the years and somehow has survived them all.  I am guessing that track speed is still 25 mph though from Seymour to Mitchell.  I think it is 40mph west of Mitchell though.  Of course the B&O line is suspect to flooding as well so who knows.  I guess it has had less rain than lines further north though.
Following the remains of the B&O in Southern Indiana

KM9X

• Conductor
  • I am near High Bridge MP 048 IN SUB
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 10:07:03 PM »
It has been strange to hear and see eastbounds on the IN Sub, but glad to see it being used more and more. My son was down from Indy this weekend and the scanner at Delaware tripped. We took a chance it was west bound as usual, and headed for High Bridge. Got some good pics. If we could just get an accurate time of one coming, we would try some shots from under high bridge. I can be at high bridge in two minutes from the wooden bridge , but to get to the dead end under will take about 10 min.
We went there this weekend too and took some pics.
BTW The train we saw on Sat had a bunch of tankers on it. I have reports that a long eastbound on Firday night had a lot of tank cars also.
Thats all from Osgood High Bridge area, MP 047 ish

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 10:41:07 PM »
I heard 670 on the scanner for the first time today, nice to hear an eastbound for a change.

Go Reds!

storrs19

• President
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 11:50:04 AM »
I wonder if the siding from Oakdale to Butlerville is available?  I know that sometimes they park cars on it for storage not needing it when the normal traffic flow is all westbound?  You only have two sidings between Seymour and Dearborn which are Oakdale-Butlerville and Milan.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 06:16:50 PM »
As of the last two days, Q670 and Q671 have been back on the St Louis Line.  Hope you guys enjoyed them while they lasted.

Practice Safe CSX

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 07:42:41 PM »
I enjoyed them while they were running on the Indiana Sub, thought they were gone since I hadn't heard them since Friday. Last time I was at the Butlerville siding it was full of boxcars. Noticed in the Jefferson Proving Grounds that CSX was also storing some boxcars on the Madison Railroad. This summer caught the Madison moving some CSX covered hoppers out of storage up to North Vernon to give back to CSX, the Madison was using both of their units for power that day. Usually I see only leasing companies rolling stock stored in the JPG but the last half of year CSX stuff has shown up for storage.

Go Reds!

KM9X

• Conductor
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 03:23:35 PM »
REF THE siding at Butlerville, it is full on both sides of the MUTC Army training facility drive, still the same CSX boxcars. Also, Milan siding has been full for ever. They ahd tank cars for about 2 months, and the citizens started calling everyone complaining about them sitting near their houses. The EMA director called CSX and they cam and moved them in a week. They then replaced them with auto racks, both sides of the Milan crossings have been full for a couple months.
When I made a trek into JPG, I was huge amounds of cars sitting on about every track in there. Madison RR should be making some money on storage!
The best part of that was when I happened to wander off the open areas, and found what I would estimate to be 500 BRAND NEW hopper cars, still had blue tags on the wheels.. not sure whose they are.

Dan
Osgood

JGN

• Superintendent
  • Interested in all Rail History!
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 07:19:04 PM »
Ah, reminds me of the John "Couger" Mellencamp music video for "Pink Houses" where you can see a Chessie painted B&O hotshot somewhere near Seymour passing by in one of the shots. Jay

storrs19

• President
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 10:06:25 AM »
Yep.  I always liked that shot in the video for "Pink Houses".  As for the sidings, I guess when everything is running westbound you don't need any sidings so they just store cars in them.

Al Stevens

• Dispatcher
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 04:15:39 PM »
If anyone wants to get a look at the Pink Houses video, I've included a link to it on YouTube.
There are several train clips in the video.

"Shippers & Service are 'Hi' priority with us"
INDIANA HI-RAIL CORPORATION

CONRAIL1981

• Dispatcher
  • The RR is no longer in my back yard
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 02:00:54 PM »
Link didn't work but a quick search and I was able to see it right away.  Great shots of Seymour there.  Its changed a lot I think even since I was there last which was back in 03.
Paul Akers is the place to be.

Tom Pinnick

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 01:12:12 PM »
Recently CSX has installed flashers and gates at the first two county roads west of Mitchell. These are low traffic volume roads so one can only wonder why they desrve that level of protection. As of now, only the local operates west sporadically. There are three very small county road crossings that are not flasher protected, one west of the Rogers quarry and two in the vicinity of Tunnelton. Anyone else notice any uptick in maintenance east of Seymour? Has the big tie job commenced?

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2008, 01:54:12 PM »
I have not seen anything around here that looks like an up grade on the Indiana Sub, the alleged 100, 000 ties must have been eaten by termites,  lol. There were four westbounds the other day from Cincinnati to Seymour. Other than that "busy" day, the normal two freights and the local to North Vernon make up the traffic.

Go Reds!

Bob

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2008, 09:35:07 PM »
I drove Osgood to Seymour and back 3 times last week on hwy 50.  I don't remember seeing any track material anywhere.  I thought I saw what looked like a ballast regulator operating on the CSX main near the L&I diamond in Seymour (I had others in the car at the time and couldn't get a closer look).  There was track maintenance equipment on the L&I stub just south of the diamond in Seymour but I don't think it was CSX equipment.  I counted 202 boxcars on the Butlerville siding (not easy to do while driving so this may be off by a little).  About a year ago I seem to remember counting 201.

Michael Schwiebert

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 02:18:31 PM »
Those crossings that got the gates & lights may have monies allocated for improvements from prior to the downgrade of the line - especially if governmental monies are involved. Over here in NW Ohio,  there were a couple of crossings on the NS line between Findlay & Lima that were recently announced to have funding for improvements awarded - and the line is local service only.

Cheviot_Hill

• Dispatcher
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2008, 11:55:09 PM »
Recently CSX has installed flashers and gates at the first two county roads west of Mitchell. These are low traffic volume roads so one can only wonder why they desrve that level of protection. As of now, only the local operates west sporadically. There are three very small county road crossings that are not flasher protected, one west of the Rogers quarry and two in the vicinity of Tunnelton. Anyone else notice any uptick in maintenance east of Seymour? Has the big tie job commenced?
Nothing that I have seen yet between Cincinnati and Indiana state lines. Spraying to kill the grass and weeds, thats about it. Some of the projects that were started with replacement of wornout pole lines stopped. Some poles are up and not hooked up to anything. Been that way sinse last year. Have not heard anything of those 100,000 ties coming anymore. Thats not that there coming. Speed is still restricted to 25 mph. They have been dumping a lot of rock to shore up the riverbanks along the east side St. Joe siding, and again near North Bend OH. Thats all I've seen so far.

KM9X

• Conductor
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 02:28:29 AM »
I think I remember seeing some new cross ties sitting in Osgood downtown west of the main crossing. There is a pile of metal plates and other misc stuff there too. In fact, the cops arrested 5 idiots for stealing that metal in broad daylight and taking it to Schnieders Scrap Metal 4 blocks to the west!
They got caught by the people eating at the WHISTLE STOP cafe across the street!  FITTING!
ALSO  The Whistle Stop is closed... due to a boyfriend who owned it/girlfriend who was running it break up..

As you stomach turns...
Part 3

Dan