Author Topic: Caboose at Brownstown  (Read 1598 times)

South end Tom

• Dispatcher
  • USN track inspector, Ret.
Caboose at Brownstown
« on: April 22, 2017, 11:56:17 AM »
Not everyone has a caboose in their back yard. Some do but this one is different. Over in Brownstown is a caboose on an elevated section of track. That may have been an elevated coal spur or an OLD industry track. Out of curiosity if anyone knows about it, you are welcome to share. These photos are from Google Maps.

Hammer

• Brakeman
Re: Caboose at Brownstown
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 08:16:53 PM »
There is a home about 30 minutes from where I live that has a C & O caboose in their yard and didn't know anything about it until a couple weeks ago when I went out for the evening and decided to go home a different way and that is when I discovered it.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 08:58:58 PM by Hammer »

VGR

• Dispatcher
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 09:07:13 AM »
Wow! I have never noticed!

South end Tom

• Dispatcher
  • USN track inspector, Ret.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 12:40:11 PM »
This probably explains the elevated track as there was a brick kiln there. 1958 USGS topo.

SimonTek

• Engineer
  • Linux Geek
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 12:32:28 PM »
The brick kiln's are still there. The track is still through the entire property. The people that own the place are nice, I've stopped there a few times.

Bob Durnell

• President
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 10:30:06 PM »
I'm having a hard time figuring out what the track layout was like.  Overhead views really provide no clues.

SimonTek

• Engineer
  • Linux Geek
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 07:51:31 PM »
Same one.

SimonTek

• Engineer
  • Linux Geek
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 07:53:17 PM »
What do you want to know about it. The kilns were on one side of the tracks. There were 2 tracks with the property. One still exists in whole condition.

IndyHog

• Superintendent
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 08:01:45 PM »
Is there a walkway on the trestle so you can safely get on the caboose?
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......wait a minute, He's much worse

Bob Durnell

• President
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 12:25:29 AM »
What do you want to know about it. The kilns were on one side of the tracks. There were 2 tracks with the property. One still exists in whole condition.

I can't see from the pictures or the map where the tracks ran to and where they connected to the main.  And why was the track elevated?

flinttim

• Conductor
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 07:24:14 PM »
Just saw this and thought I could enlighten the topic some. That property used to be the Heller Brick Yard. What is now the house used to be the Heller office. There was a spur going in to  ship bricks (obviously). The lay of the land there falls off quite a bit and the clay was dug out of the hills behind the yard.In a very big White River flood that area around it gets under water so everything was built high enough to avoid the flooding. Some years ago the Heller shut down and lay dormant. Sid and Jan Connell of Brownstown have always been into antiques and anyway the yard came up for sale. They bought the place with the idea to redo the "office" into their home.While that project was going on they got a letter from the RR telling them they were going to pull up the switch and spur. Jan quickly called the RR and asked if they might have a caboose to sell and they said "yes". The deal was struck, the caboose delivered and the spur taken up...............and now you know the rest of the story.

flinttim

• Conductor
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 07:31:00 PM »
I might add, I drove a school bus for years at Brownstown and this was on my route. The spur came off the main just before the driveway that is there now and was there then.I believe it was just part of the spur there at Ewing that served the Morgan Packing Co, Robertson Grain and Kieffer Paper Mill.