Author Topic: Current State of the CSX Illinois Subdivision.......  (Read 61631 times)

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
Re: Current State of the CSX Illinois Subdivision.......
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2017, 10:00:55 PM »
And they don't need to be working as long as they are protected by police or RR employees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

santa fe warbonnet

• Fireman
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2017, 06:02:29 PM »
Really doesn't matter if the signal dept puts the crossing signals back in service, they will NOT work properly with all the rust on the rail. Would still need to stop and flag all crossings anyway.

hytwr1

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2017, 12:20:28 AM »
And they don't need to be working as long as they are protected by police or RR employees

Yes they do. Or at least be inspected and functional. Once trains roll through the crossings again, storage or not, the flashers and gates are considered back in service by FRA. 

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2017, 06:38:32 AM »
The Hoosier sub has/had a signal maintainer on it and he hasn't seen a train in years.   ;)

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2017, 10:34:55 AM »
Yes they do. Or at least be inspected and functional. Once trains roll through the crossings again, storage or not, the flashers and gates are considered back in service by FRA.

Bill's comments caused me to go to 49CFR §§234.249 - 234.273 to see all the inspections required and how frequently they must be performed. The list is long with time spans of 1 month, 3 months, annual, every 2 years, every 4 years and, finally, every 10 years for the thorough insulation test. ITM's signal maintainer explained that the signals along the line could be considered out-of-service and left un-inspected for long periods of time but if one or more monthly inspection were skipped an inspection (and tests) had to be done before a train could cross. The same was true for all inspections and tests. The longer they went un-performed the more had to be done before a train could go through the crossing. That 10 year insulation test is time consuming so if one were skipped the railroad better plan ahead if a train needed to cross.

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
  • Modeling high Hood GP30s on the CERA ca. 1996-1998
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2017, 11:34:00 AM »
I would assume that if something happened that a train NEEDED to run, crossings could always be flagged.
Modeling High Hood GP30s on the CERA based in Kokomo circa. 1996-1998.

CSX10020

• Dispatcher
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2017, 09:00:43 AM »
The CSX SA dispatcher gave an EC1 for something to go from WE Carbon to EAS Caseyville on the main track.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2017, 01:15:12 PM »
Maybe Hunter Harrison is Considering using the Line, Instead of letting it set Idle. It Welded Rail and has what 50 or 55 Mph on it. Could Take traffic off the Indianapolis Line if Needed.

CSX10020

• Dispatcher
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2017, 01:16:59 PM »
Their max speed is 40 but I've seen them go faster, they'll need to fix Salem since the rails are off the ties between the diamond and intercahnge plus the diamonds out at Shattuc and Odin but I'd like to see the route going again.

Bob Durnell

• President
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2017, 01:23:49 PM »
Two things I do not see in EHH's playbook.    1) Growing business on any line enough to overwhelm it and require a secondary routing.   2) Keeping backup routes just in case.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2017, 02:01:53 PM »
Two things I do not see in EHH's playbook.    1) Growing business on any line enough to overwhelm it and require a secondary routing.   2) Keeping backup routes just in case.

St Louis Kine was double track for a lot of its length.  Could easily connect sections of single track if warranted.  Otherwise, even handling the former B&O traffic, the line is still well under capacity.

Bob Durnell

• President
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2017, 03:17:46 PM »
You may sort have just answered your own question.   Since it's not a hot prospect to lease out, and even a less hot one to sell, it probably IS more valuable as a parking lot for all those cars.   Once those cars get disposed of, I think the line follows, unless the process takes longer than Harrison's tenure, then who knows?  I would love to see somebody like INRD have it, but if it was of any value to them, they would probably already have it.

IN1312

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2017, 10:32:53 PM »
You may sort have just answered your own question.   Since it's not a hot prospect to lease out, and even a less hot one to sell, it probably IS more valuable as a parking lot for all those cars.   Once those cars get disposed of, I think the line follows, unless the process takes longer than Harrison's tenure, then who knows?  I would love to see somebody like INRD have it, but if it was of any value to them, they would probably already have it.

Not necessarily. Sometimes even obvious ideas take a long time to come to fruition. With all the attention being suddenly given, maybe this is exactly what is about to happen.

Broadway

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2017, 12:55:38 PM »
CSX is going to use the line for car storage. Nothing else. Sad.

storrs19

• President
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2017, 10:42:20 PM »
The Hoosier sub has/had a signal maintainer on it and he hasn't seen a train in years.   ;)

Very true. I've seen him at various crossings north of New Albany testing the flashers and gates
Following the remains of the B&O in Southern Indiana

mmonken

• Brakeman
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2017, 02:02:08 PM »
Just curious if anyone has heard any updates on the status of this line? The only storage move on the west-end occurred nearly 2 months ago and nothing since. I'm wondering if the Illinois Commerce Commission prevented CSX from running any additional storage trains unless they reactivate the crossing signals.

CSX10020

• Dispatcher
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2017, 02:03:35 PM »
Salem diamond might possibly be oos or a rail was cut. Diamond signals are dark unless a UP train approaches it, the 2695 intermediate west of the interlocker is now dark.

mmonken

• Brakeman
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2017, 03:26:03 PM »
Saw a post on Facebook indicating that the section of rail has been removed again at Caseyville. I haven't seen it myself but just wanted to pass along in case anyone is interested.

I take this as meaning no additional storage trains on the west end of the IL Sub for the foreseeable future.

CSX10020

• Dispatcher
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2017, 09:17:54 AM »
Caseyville is cut, Salem’s diamond is still in service. So much for filling up the rest of the line; turns out when that eastbound X train went through, at 10 PM that night it went through Ferrin, which is a small town west of Shattuc, the people there went nuts and were flipping out because a train was moving through there at night.

mmonken

• Brakeman
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2017, 01:03:43 PM »
Residents and local officials in O'Fallon did exactly the same thing. Unfortunately they will probably all get their wish someday; abandonment of the line. Then they'll complain about the rail removal train  ;D