Author Topic: Current State of the CSX Illinois Subdivision.......  (Read 60685 times)

South end Tom

• Dispatcher
  • USN track inspector, Ret.
Re: Current State of the CSX Illinois Subdivision.......
« Reply #540 on: June 19, 2019, 01:57:00 PM »
Not at all germane to this thread or to the Monon trackage rights/line business, but just a couple details that I'm aware...

At the end of CP's ownership of the Latta Sub, before INRD took over, CP's trackage rights from Chicago to Terre Haute were CSX to Springhill, not Fayette.  Fayette was/is the end of the line, but its a power plant and road trains did not venture so far North.  Before trackage rights to Chicago were utilized on the CSX they used Conrail via Preston.

Bedford, MP 262.4 at the diamond, to Crane, MP 236, should be about 26 miles.

INRD left about 1 mile of track in east of the south Blankenship Yard turnout in order to serve (back in and deliver) unit ammunition trains. That is around MP 241 which explains the 21.15 mile statement.

ventrue

• Fireman
« Reply #541 on: June 19, 2019, 02:32:03 PM »
INRD left about 1 mile of track in east of the south Blankenship Yard turnout in order to serve (back in and deliver) unit ammunition trains. That is around MP 241 which explains the 21.15 mile statement.

Well, there we have it.  Duly noted.

Did they also leave Crane siding intact, end to end?  If so, I'm surprised they wasted another 4 miles of valuable main line track just to be able to back in when they could run around a Crane delivery in the siding and then shove in.  Especially given, I assume, infrequent deliveries to Blankenship?  My memory is bad so I'll have to ask, but back in the CP days I thought Blankenship was rarely, if ever, used.

South end Tom

• Dispatcher
  • USN track inspector, Ret.
« Reply #542 on: June 19, 2019, 02:58:46 PM »
Although I retired from the Government in September 2000, I remained working for contractors until July 2012. I know that the Blankenship Yard is one of three major loading-unloading sites and was at that time used very regularly. Those sites are also lightning protected and limited in capacity for explosive storage. These sites were specifically constructed for container traffic. I can't speak for how they are being used today with the rail taken up. But, I do know that at one time the Government gave a little consideration to taking over the track between Blankenship and Burns City. This would have tied into the "OLD MILWAUKEE YARD". That was before track removal. I don't know about the siding at Burns City. I will ask my sons if it is still there as they can see it from the 45 highway bridge.

IndyKing

• Mogul
« Reply #543 on: June 19, 2019, 10:49:19 PM »
They all dried up becsuse csx pulled all the rails
It might be that way now but back then csx pulled them without the customers ok
That is not true for Kimball at Borden.  Kimball were gone long before the industry siding there was even touched by CSX, which was only a few years ago.

The business is L thorn company and itís at 6000 Grant line Road and they are distributors of brick and stone snd from time to time I would watch them back in with three or four cars for loading or unloading.
Thanks, Tom.  I don't really know much about the service to L Thorn.  Do you have a date for when that stopped?

I don't know about the siding at Burns City. I will ask my sons if it is still there as they can see it from the 45 highway bridge.
The siding that runs past the old depot was still there in 2015, or at least the rails were, and it is still showing in the Google satellite view (although I don't know in which year that imagery was captured).
Cheers, Al

CSX10020

• Dispatcher
« Reply #544 on: June 20, 2019, 01:05:12 AM »
Heard that the rail in Caseyville has been taken back out of service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSX10020

• Dispatcher
« Reply #545 on: June 20, 2019, 09:30:32 PM »
Just noticed today that a couple stacks of ties that were dropped off about a month ago have wandered off to somewhere.

SoILguy

• Brakeman
« Reply #546 on: June 21, 2019, 07:43:28 AM »
CSX crossings at highway 51 in sandoval and shattuc road in shattuc have been fixed

CSX10020

• Dispatcher
« Reply #547 on: June 26, 2019, 12:54:37 AM »
I ended up talking to a CN maintainer today up in Kinmundy who started out with CSX on the B&O. He said that everything (even on the closed part) is still functional as for the signals, power to the boxes still, and the batteries are still charging. If the line is ever needed, it wonít take any time to re-activate the crossings, but BNSF and CN have 90 days to put the diamonds back in if there needs to be a through train. The story about BNSF wanting to buy the B&O was to deal with bypassing the issue of getting screwed over by UP where BN coal trains have to hop onto the Springfield Sub and then exit back onto the Beardstown sub at Girard. They would use the B&O from STL to Shattuc and would have to rebuild the east-south connector to get into Centralia. The Centralia trainmaster pushed for the company to buy the B&O but Warren Buffett didnít want to invest into another line.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #548 on: June 26, 2019, 10:10:39 AM »
... everything (even on the closed part) is still functional as for the signals, power to the boxes still, and the batteries are still charging. If the line is ever needed, it wonít take any time to re-activate the crossings, but BNSF and CN have 90 days to put the diamonds back in if there needs to be a through train. ...

Keep in mind, the STB granted CSX a Discontinuance of Service Exemption on this line from MP BC244.7 to MP BC304.0.  That section of track is no longer in the National Network.  CSXT has no common carrier rights or obligations on that portion and can not use the line without authorization from the STB.   Before line could be restored to service, even for emergency use, CSXT will have to petition the STB to re-instate common carrier rights and obligations.  They would file to reopen and notify interests along the line. If there are no filed comments or objections (yes, an on line party could file an objection to reopening the line and require a hearing) in 30 days, the STB would rubber stamp and line could be reopened - figure 45 days minimum from initial filing to authorization.   So watch the STB website,  Nothing will happen over night - you'll see filings with the STB before you see any significant activity in the field. 

The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

ventrue

• Fireman
« Reply #549 on: June 26, 2019, 11:21:30 AM »
Keep in mind, the STB granted CSX a Discontinuance of Service Exemption on this line from MP BC244.7 to MP BC304.0.

I had to refresh my memory so I thought I'd just add that these limits are just West of the West end of Flora to between the switches of Aviston, reportedly.

Thanks for everyone's reporting.  :)

csxgp15t

• Brakeman
« Reply #550 on: June 26, 2019, 11:32:00 AM »
I had to refresh my memory so I thought I'd just add that these limits are just West of the West end of Flora to between the switches of Aviston, reportedly.

Thanks for everyone's reporting.  :)

Just as a clarification, the original discontinuance took effect on January 2016, was from MP327.9 to MP 304.

The second discontinuance took effect on February 2017 was from MP304 to MP244.7.

ventrue

• Fireman
« Reply #551 on: June 26, 2019, 11:46:46 AM »
Just as a clarification, the original discontinuance took effect on January 2016, was from MP327.9 to MP 304.

The second discontinuance took effect on February 2017 was from MP304 to MP244.7.

So, the whole thing from 244.7 to 327.9 is two separate contiguous discontinuance orders from the STB still in effect?  BTW, what is significant at 327.9?  I don't think I've ever visited that far West.  It appears to be about 1.5 miles East of Black Lane in Caseyville (the end of the IL Sub) toward the siding at O'Fallon.  I couldn't find a track chart so this is all based on perhaps dated information.

CSX10020

• Dispatcher
« Reply #552 on: June 26, 2019, 12:21:28 PM »
327.9 is right where the two downtown crossings of Caseyville are.

244.7 is a grade crossing location called Hanging Rock Road which is the first crossing west of the WE Flora switch. This crossing, and others up to Kenner are still in service with lights and gates still operating. The rail was cut at Mahogany Road (Kenner), but it is still in place with a red board on the side of the gauge just west of there.

SoILguy

• Brakeman
« Reply #553 on: June 26, 2019, 01:29:36 PM »
I ended up talking to a CN maintainer today up in Kinmundy who started out with CSX on the B&O. He said that everything (even on the closed part) is still functional as for the signals, power to the boxes still, and the batteries are still charging. If the line is ever needed, it wonít take any time to re-activate the crossings, but BNSF and CN have 90 days to put the diamonds back in if there needs to be a through train. The story about BNSF wanting to buy the B&O was to deal with bypassing the issue of getting screwed over by UP where BN coal trains have to hop onto the Springfield Sub and then exit back onto the Beardstown sub at Girard. They would use the B&O from STL to Shattuc and would have to rebuild the east-south connector to get into Centralia. The Centralia trainmaster pushed for the company to buy the B&O but Warren Buffett didnít want to invest into another line.

Looking at google maps, looks like where the connector used to be at has been taken over by landowners. Figure the ROW is no longer the property of the railroad unless the landowners illegally took over the easement

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #554 on: July 01, 2019, 07:37:12 PM »
Hearing a rumor a outfit calling themselves Cincinnati and Eastern Illinois (or something to that effect) submitted a request to purchase the Illinois Sub directly to CSX.

Anyone here have any background info on them?

CSX10020

• Dispatcher
« Reply #555 on: July 01, 2019, 07:47:05 PM »
Hearing a rumor a outfit calling themselves Cincinnati and Eastern Illinois (or something to that effect) submitted a request to purchase the Illinois Sub directly to CSX.

Anyone here have any background info on them?

Cincinnati Eastern Railroad (CCET)?

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #556 on: July 01, 2019, 07:56:58 PM »
Cincinnati Eastern Railroad (CCET)?

No. Definitely not them.  Though it sounds like the ones submitting the proposal was trying to play off that name...

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
« Reply #557 on: July 03, 2019, 06:11:35 PM »
Spotted a loaded coal train in Beman siding west of Vincennes Monday morning. Now there is a loaded coal train on the east side of the CE&D sub waiting to cross and go to Beman to run around the train. Not sure if these loads go north or south.
So still loading coal at Wheatland.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #558 on: July 15, 2019, 12:11:55 AM »
Has anyone gone out to see if any of this has changed? From the scuttle butt that I'm hearing, is that some guys are looking at buying the line.

If the same as the Facebook group, they sent a proposal directly to CSX to purchase the line.

CSX10020

• Dispatcher
« Reply #559 on: July 15, 2019, 01:18:50 AM »
Any word on that proposal or nothing?