Author Topic: Current State of the CSX Illinois Subdivision.......  (Read 50771 times)

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
Re: Current State of the CSX Illinois Subdivision.......
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2017, 01:53:34 PM »
Does any of the Appalachian coal get shipped over seas anymore or is that all over too?

Not much.  Dollar is too strong coupled to Appalachian high mining costs so foreign Appalachian customers look more to South America and other points on the globe. 

CSX10020

• Dispatcher
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 09:31:38 PM »
Heard that the diamond in Salem will be taken out of service towards the end of this month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chessieguy42

• Chief Dispatcher
  • Gotta love it
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2017, 12:17:27 AM »
Heard that the diamond in Salem will be taken out of service towards the end of this month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kept it in this long?
Long live the Chessie.

CSX10020

• Dispatcher
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2017, 11:36:55 PM »
What kept it in this long?

I and a railroad maintainer were wondering the same thing too. All I can guess is that there weren't many problems with the maintenance of the diamond so it was kept intact, but the only issue was that it slowed down every southbound coming out of Salem. Another thing was maybe that they (as in UP) were gonna wait until they got their new signals at the diamond cut over which happened two weeks ago.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2017, 09:13:57 AM »
There is a reason the diamonds stayed in at certain spots.

W699-25 headed out the Illinois Sub to stash 110 storage cars out there.  More storage trains to follow. 80 miles of storage room out there, with 5000 cars slated to be sent out in 6000' to 7000' chunks.

csxgp15t

• Brakeman
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2017, 11:18:52 AM »
Very interesting CSX_CO. Any other information on that train?

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2017, 11:55:00 AM »
Train is sitting at Terre Haute waiting on a crew to take it south to Vincennes.

mmonken

• Brakeman
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2017, 01:42:26 PM »
Can they store cars in the OOS zone? I believe as of February, the entire line from Flora west is officially out of service via STB.

Broadway

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2017, 02:05:19 PM »
I believe the Monon was officially shut down with stored cars on it. Correct me if that's false!

xgap

• President
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2017, 02:53:20 PM »
Stored cars long gone.

Broadway

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2017, 03:46:46 PM »
Stored cars long gone.
   I know they've been long gone for a while, but were they storing cars down there after the notification of cessation of service -- or whatever the heck it was called -- was filed?

Rich

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2017, 08:06:32 PM »
A seemingly good piece of news. At least the section that was cut out in Caseyville IL, back in 2015 was just put back in and highrailers have been out in force on the western end.
From what I'm told, the diamond is still out at Odin IL and I don't have confirmation if the eastern cut has been put back in again. I'm an optimist though,
 so I'm looking at this as a good sign that maybe the B&O may make a comeback.

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2017, 08:44:30 PM »
Flora cut has been back in for a long time. X699 heading into Lawrenceville now going to Flora. I have heard there is scuttle talk of the IL to Vincennes being looked at and put back in service. Said the new boss likes trains to run a straight route. Supposedly it was hi railed to see what needs to be done to put it back in service. There, I said it!   ;D

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2017, 08:49:55 PM »
Said the new boss likes trains to run a straight route. Supposedly it was hi railed to see what needs to be done to put it back in service. There, I said it!   ;D

Don't get your hopes up for through service.  It's being looked at for its storage potential, not a thru route.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2017, 09:39:22 PM »
See my thread about CSXT in General Member Bull.  CSXT is storing roughly 40% of their fleet - when all is said and done, using 62' as an average length of car, CSXT needs 294 MILES of track to store cars on.  Illinois Sub offers at least 80 of those miles.  Filler up!  Soon the sub is going to be one big long string of cars

Rich

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2017, 11:08:02 PM »
I'm just content seeing something done, other than rails being lifted, which I was starting to believe was imminent.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2017, 07:16:41 AM »
X699-26 at Indy to go out that way this afternoon.  Looks like Vincennes is the point of entry.

Rich

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2017, 07:17:23 AM »
FYI......I just heard the SA DS talking to an X698-25. All I could hear was something about Salem and needing a report by, at Lawrenceville.

csxgp15t

• Brakeman
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2017, 09:55:23 AM »
I'm just content seeing something done, other than rails being lifted, which I was starting to believe was imminent.

I agree 100% with this statement. In the current climate of trying to boost their bottom line for shareholders, I foresaw salvage operations in the near future.  I still have not forgotten how quickly CSX pulled up the East St. Louis to Okawville Illinois segment on the L&N's Evansville line. This choice forever doomed the potential of a through route. At least car storage keeps the Illinois sub "relevant" in CSX's short-term future.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2017, 12:57:41 PM »
FYI......I just heard the SA DS talking to an X698-25. All I could hear was something about Salem and needing a report by, at Lawrenceville.

X698-25 originated in Vincennes.  It and Avon originated X699-25 are in the general Flora area.  698 could be cleaning up or helping put stuff away.
X699-26 originated in Hawthorne - as CSX_CO state, it is currently at Avon and is profiled for Flora as well.

Any one hears any other X numbers or sees odd trains, let me know.