Author Topic: Problems with Tolls?  (Read 4072 times)

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
  • Railroading: It's a way of life, more than a job.
Re: Problems with Tolls?
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2017, 05:42:30 PM »
Now the state wants to raise our taxes an average $5 per month to help pay for road improvements after having an administration that has bragged about having a $2,000,000,000 surplus?  Nothing makes sense anymore. 
"Don't find a fault, find a remedy."

xgap

• President
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2017, 08:37:19 PM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/02/16/indiana-house-oks-gas-tax-increase/97989860/
May want to ring up your Senator and the Governor's office unless you are in agreement.

mononradio

• Conductor
User Fee vs Tax
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2017, 04:15:09 PM »
So which is the hike on the license plate, tax increase or user fee increase?
Does it make any difference how you call it?

coal road

• Engineer
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2017, 04:54:39 PM »
They are also currently trying to shove a statewide wheel tax down our throats. 

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2017, 12:34:09 PM »
As if we aren't already Taxed enough. Maybe if THOSE WHO WANT A TAX HIKE WOULD TAKE A PAY CUT. Then maybe They could Pay for the Road Work. Those People get Paid way to much, For no more that they do. Pass what they want and not what the Tax Payers say is needed.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2017, 04:05:20 PM »
Rather that blaming the "THEY" boogieman, why not research to see what it driving the spending bill.    Long story short, the Governor's Blue Ribbon Panel on Transportation ultimately ended up in six regional committees each comprised of 30-40 transportation industry managers developing regional strategic plans that became the INDOT Strategic plan.  It is that plan that the bill that just passed the House is trying to fund.  If you want the improved transportation and the economic growth that is believed will go with it, you have to fund it somehow.

The committees where very truck centric to begin and that was a flaw that was noticed, so an effort was made to reach out to rail or rail customers, water, and air.  While it is still highway heavy, there are some rail projects included in the plan.  And the plan is a living document with the committees still intact and meeting on a regular basis, so over time, the other modes or transportation will see a more even playing field.    And for the record, no one on these committee other than Conexus are paid - these are volunteer positions and take up a lot of time.   

Go to  http://www.conexusindiana.com/logistics-strategic-plan   Scroll down on that page to regional links on left hand side

In related news, there is a bill still in committee but optimistic it will make house floor that would double the State Industrial Rail Development fund.   This is the fund that helps mainly shortlines with infrastructure projects, new sidings, etc.  Right now its sole source of funding is approximately 0.0003% of the State general sales tax receipts.  Proposed legislation would double that to approximately 0.0006%.  That is 6% of one cent.  Or one penney out of every $16.60 in sales tax
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 06:54:39 AM by scraphauler »
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

mononradio

• Conductor
No Chicken Little
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2017, 03:01:59 PM »
Indiana roads and bridges are not in any state of immediate decay or collapse.  There is no need for 'chicken little" to be out there calling for tax hikes.  In fact, it would likely be better to wait and see what the feds do.  Not that it is going to happen with the current flock of fowl down at the Statehouse.

It is the responsibility of Congress to address federal transportation priorities, not the Indiana legislature.
The "glamour" roads in Indiana are of course  I-65, most of which has just recently been rebuilt, and of course I-69, which more or less has already been paid for.

One can argue whether the NAFTA route of I-69 was really needed, or if in fact there will be any trade between here and Mexico in the future (the Wall is going up, after all, along with the border taxes).
Of course it could benefit FedEx considerably, linking its Memphis hub more directly by ground to the northeast, possibly making other hubs, such as Indianapolis, unnecessary.

The crisis for freight rail has always been that taxpayers build new four-lane highways which parallel their bread and butter routes, thus eliminating most of the advantage that rail once had.
There aren't many routes left parallel to freight railroads still to "upgrade" in Indiana, with SR25 / US24 being the last, and threatening to kill off the last of the NS auto parts traffic across Indiana.

But since our new President made a federal road program a high priority in his campaign, one can argue that states jumping the gun now with new taxes might come back to bite them in the butt.

Congress is not likely to appropriate funds to states with highway programs in good shape.  More than likely, federal money will be directed away from the relatively "good shape" states such as Indiana, to those who lag behind (like Kentucky).

Congress likely will raise the gas tax and index it to inflation in the near term as well.

One would wish that the "chicken littles" in the statehouse would take a pause prior to rushing into tax hikes on hapless Hoosiers. 

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2017, 03:34:18 PM »
We drive it 2 times every month.

You bail off on US31, aka 2nd Street, run to Broadway and ramp up at 1st Street and go.  Not hard.  Northbound reverse.  I lose 5 minutes max.. without transponder for car it's 4 bucks, 2 with.

Not an extra hassle to avoid it at all.
Oh and if you run 265 to Sherman Minton jump back on 64 and through to 65 it costs ya 15 min roughly. 

Or if you like scenery, go via Madison

With as many issues as they have had in billing, I'm not using it

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2017, 06:17:46 PM »
Drove over the toll bridge last month.  Thought about getting off but traffic was flowing smoothly and it looks like you would have to go through/into downtown Louisville.  Wasn't sure if that other option had stop lights so I just stayed on and didn't lose any time heading south or north on the way back.  Not sure of what cost since I already have a EZ pass from up here for the toll road. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2017, 09:44:18 PM »
In-laws drive over it in January SB and early February NB.  received a paper bill early march.

IndyHog

• Superintendent
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2017, 09:51:44 PM »
I go back and forth several times a month. I bought the transponder. Gets the toll down to two bucks a shot. They take the money out of an online account. Might try that bypass on US 31 if I have some time.
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......wait a minute, He's much worse

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2018, 06:31:33 PM »
And as we go on, there are some Nasty complaints posted on the Riverlink page.

https://www.facebook.com/RiverLinkTolls/?hc_ref=ARRbnUqi9C8cUrMf_GBYlYKS6_A90vc_nhuV86lqsWL0-H7rt5BQTZdDYYEjTzDkmtY&fref=nf

Multiple posts on the Riverlink page of
Inaccurate crossing records
Waiting to send out the invoices until MONTHS later, then charging copious late fees. Particularly for non Indiana and non Kentucky people.
Multiple invoices for paid tolls.
And they claim it will take until 2053 to pay off the bridges.......

Somethin smells here, and it's not the Ohio river.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2018, 09:44:37 AM »
These will get worked out just done hiccups.  When the bridge is paid off, itíll still be a toll to cross. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2018, 12:22:28 PM »
All they are doing is taking us Backwards. Even the Folks in Kentucky are asking Why a Toll Bridge, When the Kennedy Bridge was Paid Off by Both Indiana and Kentucky. These Same People what to know where The Federal Dollars are at, Since this is Part of the Federal Highway System.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2018, 11:22:36 PM »
I've used it 4 times, billing takes too long.  Buddy had late fees never having been billed.
I just got my bill from October's crossing...

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2018, 11:44:40 PM »
 I just move down to the southern Indiana area around Corydon from Versailles after 20 years and am learning the area.  One of the reasons for the slow billing is that traffic has been  much higher than was projected so they are now hiring more personnel to speed up the process.  I asked my grandson about his billing as he uses the bridges periodically and he said he has had no problem.  Of course right now hazardous materials can not go through the tunnel as one of the safety features is not operating correctly.
Have a good and safe day!

Go Reds!

xgap

• President
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2018, 12:05:31 AM »
For me, works well so far with an account. Depending on the route I'll gladly pay the $2. Thirty year too late bridge with the costly tunnel is great, but has just moved the backups else where.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2018, 12:50:44 AM »
Traffic is way off any projections.
Billing is a nightmare. Sitting on a bill now has us crossing bridge 4 times for dates we weren't there.. and says second notice. Oh and 5$ late charge..

Not alone latest article in news today about it

xgap

• President
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2018, 12:36:52 AM »
May want to add the additional rate increases to the list.