Author Topic: Problems with Tolls?  (Read 4070 times)

shane_man15

• Mogul
  • Back to building quality Honda products again.
Re: Problems with Tolls?
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2017, 03:00:03 PM »
Use the Sherman Minton bridge.
What he said.
Shane Smiley (shane_man15)

Modeler of the Muncie, Richmond, and Fernald Railway.
Train horns are also my thing.

GIMME A CORVETTE ALREADY!

coal road

• Engineer
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2017, 04:06:05 PM »
When you are traveling down I-65 that Minton bridge is a 30 minute or more detour.  Second street is two blocks off 65.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2017, 04:19:25 PM »
If it was listed, I missed it.

How much is the toll(s)?

shane_man15

• Mogul
  • Back to building quality Honda products again.
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2017, 04:51:51 PM »
If it was listed, I missed it.

How much is the toll(s)?
Toll Rates   2-Axle Vehicles   Heavy Trucks
Frequent Commuter Discount   $1.00   N/A
Transponder   $2.00   $10.00
Registered Vehicle (Video License Capture)   $3.00   $11.00
Non-registered Vehicle (Video License Capture)   $4.00   $12.00
Shane Smiley (shane_man15)

Modeler of the Muncie, Richmond, and Fernald Railway.
Train horns are also my thing.

GIMME A CORVETTE ALREADY!

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2017, 05:38:41 PM »
Yeah, $2 or $3 isn't worth fighting traffic to avoid the toll.

If $6 is breaking your travel budget you might not want to be taking that trip.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2017, 05:49:09 PM »
When you are traveling down I-65 that Minton bridge is a 30 minute or more detour.  Second street is two blocks off 65.

Problem with second street is it dumps into the Louisville downtown mess..... probably loose a lot trying to get back on 65, but it is an option yes.
At least with the Minton you can drop the hammer on the mostly open three lane interstate and cut into that time a lot.
65 south of the bridge is no picnic ether.. hard to run a good speed on that section.
Better then paying the extortion toll.

Also if your going towards Lexington. Go via Cincinnati. NO TOLLS ON ALL BRIDGES and it's virtually the same distance.

I refuse to ever pay a toll again, even if I have to spend more $$$ to avoid it.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

xgap

• President
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2017, 06:33:17 PM »
Yeah, $2 or $3 isn't worth fighting traffic to avoid the toll.

If $6 is breaking your travel budget you might not want to be taking that trip.
True. On my last big road trip I sure didn't sit down and and figure what tolls at what locations I was going to pay.
For the out of town no tollers it will be hard to beat the locals. They have dealt with detours and these choke points for years. There are one or two routes that may come into play. This coming week we shall see if there is a change in traffic patterns.
The 30 Years Too Late Bridges/Tunnels is such an improvement I'll gladly pay up when a certain route is to my benefit. But I don't have to cross on a daily basis. There are some folks which will make numerous crossings a day and some businesses claim they will be negatively affected.

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
  • Railroading: It's a way of life, more than a job.
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2017, 06:56:06 PM »
If you are a commuter and travel the bridge twice a day for work you are looking at $120 per month (figured at working four weeks per month, five days per week), or $1,500 per year additional expense (figuring two weeks vacation).  That is money that could be used to make that extra payment or two on the house each year.  Thats quite a bit of money for some, falls into the same category as eating out for lunch or stopping for some goodies at a gas station.  A toll is just another form of a tax hike in my opinion.  If I was forced to start paying a toll on my drive to work you can bet I would be researching out some other routes. 
"Don't find a fault, find a remedy."

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2017, 08:06:11 PM »
If you're crossing the bridge that much go for the Commuter discount. $1 for commuters, $2 per day, $10 a week, $40 per month, $480 a year.

I'd have to double check, but aren't tolls paid tax deductible on your taxes too?

Give up 2 packs of smokes or two grande Starbucks a week and you're recouping your losses.  If you can write it off, even better.

SemperVaporo

• Dispatcher
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2017, 08:52:14 PM »
If you're crossing the bridge that much go for the Commuter discount. $1 for commuters, $2 per day, $10 a week, $40 per month, $480 a year.

I'd have to double check, but aren't tolls paid tax deductible on your taxes too?

Give up 2 packs of smokes or two grande Starbucks a week and you're recouping your losses.  If you can write it off, even better.

I don't smoke (hate the smell!); Don't drink coffee (can't stand the taste!); Don't drink alcoholic beverages; Don't eat out but once a month and then only to get a salad at Chick-fil-A; Run my winter thermostat at 67, summer at 82; Walk to most places to save gas and drive moderately when I do drive.

Tolls are no different than Trolls... to be avoided at any price.  Where are the Billy Goats Gruff when you need them?!

Semper Vaporo
Charles T. McCullough
CMBY RY

pkgs.

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
  • Railroading: It's a way of life, more than a job.
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2017, 09:09:39 PM »
Not sure about using tolls as a tax write off.  All a write off does is decrease your taxable income, it's not putting the money back into your pocket, it just limits the amount of money uncle sam can remove from your pocket in April.  Now a tax credit on the other hand... 

Looks like from the website you can qualify for a 50% discount on the $2 toll if you have a transponder and a prepaid account, and you make at least 40 trips across the bridge in a month.  So if you take a day off work and don't make any other trips across the bridge you will loose your discount. 

And these tolls will never go decrease in price or disappear remember that.
"Don't find a fault, find a remedy."

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
Problems with Tolls?
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2017, 09:27:05 PM »

No on the tax deduction.  Wife drove the Indiana toll road for 8 years.  We talked about this all the time on how nice that would be but in the end it wasn't that much money. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2017, 10:08:56 PM »
No on the tax deduction.  Wife drove the Indiana toll road for 8 years.  We talked about this all the time on how nice that would be but in the end it wasn't that much money

Quick check: they can be, but has to be business travel expense.  Same as parking fees and driving miles, as long as they are business travel.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2017, 10:23:21 PM »
Quick check: they can be, but has to be business travel expense.  Same as parking fees and driving miles, as long as they are business travel.
That's only if your self employed, correct?  If you are working for a company, not your own, that doesn't count.  Or at least you couldn't do a few years back. We tried deducting parking fees and toll road expenses through turbo tax and had a tax company one year and couldn't do it either time. Again, this was 5 plus years ago.  Heck, maybe it wasn't enough to justify.  I think the most she recorded $600 and some change for the year. 

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2017, 10:28:06 PM »
That's only if your self employed, correct?  If you are working for a company, not your own, that doesn't count.  Or at least you couldn't do a few years back. We tried deducting parking fees and toll road expenses through turbo tax and had a tax company one year and couldn't do it either time. Again, this was 5 plus years ago.  Heck, maybe it wasn't enough to justify.  I think the most she recorded $600 and some change for the year. 

If your employer sends you on a trip it's all deductible.  Your daily commute it's not.  I think an accountant can help set up ways to skirt that.  I know a lot of railroaders who take advantage of all those deductions as "business" expenses.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2017, 10:32:44 PM »
If your employer sends you on a trip it's all deductible.  Your daily commute it's not.  I think an accountant can help set up ways to skirt that.  I know a lot of railroaders who take advantage of all those deductions as "business" expenses.
Yep, I remember that's it.  Daily commute no good but business trips do.  Thanks for clarifying that. 

I'm sure some railroader rack up some miles over the year.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2017, 10:40:23 PM »
Yep, I remember that's it.  Daily commute no good but business trips do.  Thanks for clarifying that. 

I'm sure some railroader rack up some miles over the year.

Yep, tons of deductions to be taken if you know about them and set yourself up correctly.

Cmdr_Suds

• Superintendent
  • Notch eight and sanding!
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2017, 11:23:12 PM »
I have often thought that if you built a 4 lane superhighway from Noplace to Nowhere it would soon be clogged with traffic.  That line from "Field of Dreams" applies... "If you build it, they will come."
Seriously? Have you ever driven I64 a cross southern Indiana?  It is one on the most desolate highways in the state and it has been around since the early 70s.
"No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced."

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2017, 08:18:06 PM »
I have been on it and try to stay off of it, unless I have to take it.  I will use 56 out of Scottsburg or 50 out of Seymour to go West. I will even take 37 to get to Points South if I have to.