Author Topic: NXDN Indianapolis  (Read 1076 times)

AmcorLocal

• Brakeman
NXDN Indianapolis
« on: November 30, 2016, 12:34:14 PM »
I have heard a few transmissions using NXDN digital on the IC dispatcher channel (160.560). I think they transmitted digital by mistake because shortly after hearing it they switched back to analog. Has anyone else heard any NXDN digital in the area? I'm interested to do more testing with my NXDN transceiver. I know in some places the defect detectors send digital messages to the radios that show axle count, milepost, train length, etc on the radios screen. Does anyone know if the digital narrow-banding switch is included in the PTC mandate? Whenever that will be finished I do not know.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
Re: NXDN Indianapolis
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 04:44:46 PM »
That is interesting. The railroads have been buying Kenwoods capable of it. It's the next big push. May have been someone testing it.

Big holdup is the locomotive cab radios. I am not sure all of the run thru power is equipped with it yet.

Now I am kicking myself. I was going to buy a Kenwood commercial radio capable of NXDN for my scanner feed, but funds were tight and I could only move up to a narrowband FM capable radio back when they changed.

It's nothing to do with the PTC push, it's a separate thing.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

AmcorLocal

• Brakeman
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 05:41:39 AM »
I have the Kenwood NX210-K2 handheld. The sensitivity and selectivity is great on it and I've yet to hear any NXDN digital on it. Analog performance is good, so I imagine that it will perform great on digital. In the previous post when I heard the transmissions I was using a mobile analog transceiver. The NXDN transceiver is much easier to program with the software than people make it out to be. Just requires a bit of research.

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
  • Railroading: It's a way of life, more than a job.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 05:13:24 PM »
What exactly is NXDN?  And how does it work?
"Don't find a fault, find a remedy."

AmcorLocal

• Brakeman
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 10:15:03 AM »
It is a digital radio protocol developed by Kenwood and Icom. Railroads will be switching from narrow-band analog because the FCC wants them to narrow-band even further by using tighter channel spacing which NXDN will allow for "6.25Khz spacing". The purpose of this is to increase the available spectrum of the VHF and UHF bands.

mononradio

• Conductor
NXDN Indianapolis
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 02:24:00 PM »
Have yet to hear any digital transmissions on VHF land mobile band, or any of the new splits, even around Chicago.
With the merger consolidation and continued "rationalization" in the industry, there is very little current need for new splits that are already available, much less another round of them.
No need to be in any rush to go digital, which requires twice as many base stations and a great deal of network-server-building.
Much cheaper just go get a Verizon or ATT deal on a corporate package.
A lot of this is industry-promoted by companies wishing to sell new equipment when the old stuff still works just fine.
And sadly. in the event of natural or man-made disasters, it will quickly go kaput.

Looks like defect detecting will become mobile-based, with 24/7/365 transponders reporting from each car, especially of the haz-mat variety.
But they've been talking about electronic braking and all that stuff for years with very little movement.
Railroading does not often respond to change very quickly. 

AmcorLocal

• Brakeman
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 07:07:56 AM »
I agree there is no rush for digital since it's going to take so long to upgrade the communication infrastructure 100 percent. I have heard it, but only once or twice in the past year.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 07:01:07 PM »
About how much does one of those Kenwood Radios cost.

mononradio

• Conductor
Radio Cost
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 01:32:20 PM »
The retail prices for handhelds were around $700 at the outset, but seems they have started getting cheaper on ebay and elsewhere.
The UHF ones are more commonly available than the VHF siblings.
Believe it or not, many police and fire departments are already purging their original first-generation digital Kenwood's, which are already at or about 8-10 years of age.
If you get lucky, you can find a PD or FD that first went digital while still on VHF.  Now they will be moving to the newly released former TV UHF channel bands, or even higher in freq.
Those radios are worthless now to anybody except perhaps railfans and hams.