Author Topic: Indiana Railroads by County  (Read 3033 times)

Butch

• Fireman
Indiana Railroads by County
« on: October 10, 2016, 02:42:34 PM »
I've been working on this Indiana County Rail map and I have it completed to Spencer County.  I'll hopefully get it all finished before next spring - the older I get, the slower I think:-)  The county maps are pretty detailed; categorized by  "Street View of Railroads" (Hotspots), "Bridges and Overpasses", "Diamonds and Turnouts", and "Places to Pace Trains".  The app is written in Google Maps so it's fun to navigate - LOL.

Here's the link => https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1Squ_0K3ZlMlczp34encSC_VGYtU

Here's the link to the instructions => https://goo.gl/67DbsO

VGR

• Dispatcher
Re: Indiana Railroads by County
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 02:54:13 PM »
Looks good!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Butch

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 11:42:50 AM »
I have "finished" the map.  Got sidetracked for a couple of days due to to our basement flooding after a 6 inch rain and 15 hour power outage  :P  Luckily, the water didn't make it to my computer or guitar amps.  If you don't know your Indiana Counties (like me), you can click on the "magnifying icon" on the map table (upper left hand corner) and type in a city name.  The map will automatically zoom in to the county where the city exists, and from there you simply click on the map's semitransparent county layer to access my favorite "hotspots" in the area.  Have fun...   

I found another abandoned railroad due to this project.  My wife and I were looking over the abandoned Marble Hill power plant and discovered the former B&O had a branch line running from Nabb to Marble Hill in Scott County.  Check out this abandoned bridge => https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNkXGaVOW1SLtoqbIXeaNyu3Q60cQJd2edBs2xnGLsguWPAuVL4C2kcaqDgyFQv0Q?key=N2xFNEVGZ1NUTmxvNUxiRmdaSnBPSWJaVkN1SEpn

Steve

• Engineer
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 12:23:37 PM »
A couple of possible additions to the abandoned rails list:  Chicago, Bluffton, and Celina ran from Huntington to Portland.  I think it was abandoned in the 20's?  Also, the Findlay. Fort Wayne, and Western (part of the CH&D) ran from Findlay, Ohio to Fort Wayne and was abandoned in 1919.

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 01:37:31 PM »
I have explored the Nabb Branch quite a bit over the last 5 to 10 years and I missed that bridge, thank you so much for that.  I shall be headed to Corydon tomorrow so I will check it out.
Have a good and safe day!

Go Reds!

hibbard

• Dispatcher
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 07:40:13 PM »
[Chicago, Bluffton, and Celina ran from Huntington to Portland.]  Are you sure it isn't the Cincinnati, Bluffton & Chicago?
"The Corned Beef & Cabbage" was chartered on March 9, 1903, last run was on September 24, 1917 and the dismantling of the line was complete by June 1918.

Hibbard

Steve

• Engineer
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 12:02:15 PM »
My mistake.  I was going by memory.

MattMcC

• Engineer
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 11:27:28 PM »
In Madison County, the ex-PRR is missing along with the Central Indiana east toward Muncie. Also, are you ignoring the Indiana Union Traction?

StateLine-IndianaCity

• Brakeman
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 10:56:22 PM »
In Lake County the abandoned Monon (CI&L) from State Line (in Hammond) to Munster is missing from your map.  Much of it is now a bike trail.  It has also been proposed to be used the future route of the South Shore West Lake branch.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 10:37:28 AM by StateLine-IndianaCity »

Wes Lewis

• Dispatcher
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 12:15:03 AM »
In Allen County, the passing track on the Fostoria District east of New Haven is named Dawkins.  Edgerton is spelled with an e, not an a.  Aboite on the Huntington District is spelled as shown. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 07:21:18 AM by Wes Lewis »

INRD Fan

• Conductor
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 05:51:32 AM »
I've been working on this Indiana County Rail map and I have it completed to Spencer County.  I'll hopefully get it all finished before next spring - the older I get, the slower I think:-)  The county maps are pretty detailed; categorized by  "Street View of Railroads" (Hotspots), "Bridges and Overpasses", "Diamonds and Turnouts", and "Places to Pace Trains".  The app is written in Google Maps so it's fun to navigate - LOL.

Here's the link => https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1Squ_0K3ZlMlczp34encSC_VGYtU

Here's the link to the instructions => https://goo.gl/67DbsO

Nice work; thank you for doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary

• Dispatcher
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 07:38:01 PM »
Butch,

I receive daily emails from a website called "Atlas Obscura" and just today one of the articles concerns "Mapping the Ghostly Traces of Abandoned Railroads".  But, this is a project that covers the entire country.

Have you been working in conjunction with this crowd-sourcing group or did you do this separate?  The information is very similar, because Google maps is the source, but yours does focus on just Indiana.

Either way, this is very interesting resource & map, whether you just look at Indiana, or check out the rest of the country, so much information!!  Kudos to both for sure!

Gary

Wes Lewis

• Dispatcher
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 11:28:49 PM »
The passing track on NS in Blackford County is Montpelier, not Hartford City.

Birdog357

• Brakeman
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 12:43:31 PM »
I have evidence of an abandoned branch line in Starke County that you do not have on your maps. How would you like me to send you the info so you can add it in?

Butch

• Fireman
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 09:58:06 AM »
There are a number of abandoned lines I've omitted in this map due to lack of sources, and my inability to plot a reasonably accurate route in Google Earth.  Let's not discuss the possibility that I have simply missed a few - LOL.   I'll be happy to update the map if you provide a Google Earth kmz/kml file of the "missing line", and the source(s) describing:
* When the line was constructed
* Original Owner of the line
* Abandonment date of line

I am not a historian.  I am just a geek who loves history.  The historians who have done the legwork of gathering the information deserve all credit/discredit for the historical information provided - thus the reason many branch lines are not listed on the map ;)  One lesson I have learned from "map making" is that historical information can differ from source to source.  Even the Indiana Railroad Abandonments Site has been questioned.