Author Topic: NNYC Museum visit  (Read 980 times)

GP30M4216

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
NNYC Museum visit
« on: May 19, 2016, 12:35:23 AM »
I had the opportunity to recently visit the National NYC RR Museum in Elkhart for the first time in about 6 years.  In my younger days, I actually worked there as an intern nearly 10 years ago.

A cool mural poster from Adams & Westlake Co., headquartered in Elkhart

Old Station Signs from various eras.  I'm not sure where on the depot the Amtrak sign was mounted.  One sign seems to have gone missing...was it a NYC era depot sign?

3001 looks better than she has in a long time with a fresh coat of paint and those trademark new elephant ears.

Old South Shore #15 at the far end of the equipment line, looking worse for wear but with newish roof protection hopefully keeping the water out!

The operable Selkirk 250-T derrick looking good with a fairly recent paint job.

This former Chessie boxcar well-positioned and looking good perched on the Benham Avenue bridge - a fine museum billboard!

Another angle of the 3001; those elephant ears really change the entire profile of this venerable locomotive!

E8 4085 received the lightening stripe scheme many years ago and is starting to look a bit tired.  The self-guided tour of the cab and engine compartment make it an important part of the experience, however!

View from the cab of NYC E8 #4085 with the GG1, Mohawk and Conrail Caboose in view.

Finally, back on the mainline, the northbound Grand Elk road freight powers up on the Coach Track for the run to Kalamazoo, Mich. with 111 cars of mixed freight.

MFromholt

• Engineer
Re: NNYC Museum visit
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 05:02:40 PM »
Great photos! We were there about two weeks before for our first ever visit. It really is a nice little museum.