Author Topic: Moving the Southern Indiana Railroad Depot in Bedford, IN  (Read 4888 times)

IndyKing

• Mogul
Re: Moving the Southern Indiana Railroad Depot in Bedford, IN
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2016, 08:57:06 PM »
This is a one-time expenditure to save a historic building and perhaps find a use for it.

I am looking forward to when they open it up, I believe for trail-related use, as I am intrigued by how it will look on the inside.
Cheers, Al

South end Tom

• Dispatcher
  • USN track inspector, Ret.
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2016, 09:12:12 PM »
Here is the proposed floor plan taken from the contract drawings.

South end Tom

• Dispatcher
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2016, 09:43:48 PM »
Tom,

By chance, have you "heard" much information as to whatever became of the combined Bedford and Mitchell White River Port Authority, in addition to, any subsequent plans to retain rail service into Bedford (or the removal and replacement of it for trail purposes)?
I have no information concerning that. In Mitchell CSX cut out two short rails on the connector track just north of main street. Just what significance that has other than no train can access the Monon off the B&O. I posted a photo on the Indiana Sub page way back when.

South end Tom

• Dispatcher
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2016, 08:56:39 PM »
Here is an up to date photo of the progress so far. To me it seems like it is taking forever to complete. One hiccup occurred this summer. The building is at the bottom of the slope and water from a couple of heavy rains managed to seep in the lower mechanical space causing some damage.

South end Tom

• Dispatcher
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2017, 08:35:30 AM »
The station site and exterior work is now complete. They hope to have an open house this coming spring.

South end Tom

• Dispatcher
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 08:49:40 AM »
On a sadder note, just around the bend to the north sits the Monon Depot in disrepair. compare the two photos from 1967 and 2017.

IndyKing

• Mogul
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2017, 09:51:45 PM »
On a sadder note, just around the bend to the north sits the Monon Depot in disrepair. compare the two photos from 1967 and 2017.

Tom, it even looks like the recycler (Lawrence County Recycling?) has moved out.  Is this the case?
Cheers, Al

South end Tom

• Dispatcher
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2017, 08:10:23 PM »
Yes they have moved into the new consolidated recycling facility on Mitchell Road (South "M" street) where the old Elliot Stone Company was.

IndyKing

• Mogul
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2017, 06:15:48 PM »
Yes they have moved into the new consolidated recycling facility on Mitchell Road (South "M" street) where the old Elliot Stone Company was.

Thanks Tom.  I wonder how long it will last with no occupant, and gradually falling more and more into disrepair?
Cheers, Al

xgap

• President
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2017, 08:13:45 PM »
I'll assume this was funded by our Indiana Stellar program. IMO, that does not address the real issue,
Badly Needed Infrastructure. Which could then include a few cents toward our current working Indiana shortlines.

billstroud1980

• Fireman
  • A Railroad History Fan
Some say it can't be done, others do it anyways...
-Doormat