Author Topic: Moving the Southern Indiana Railroad Depot in Bedford, IN  (Read 4726 times)

South end Tom

• Dispatcher
  • USN track inspector, Ret.
The contractor is estimating a May 9 -10 time frame to relocate the old SI (Milwaukee) depot to its new location 4 blocks south. This is being funded by the Stellar grant that the city obtained a couple of years ago. Also the city owns all the railroad tracks (whats left) and right of way of the Monon north of 13th street to the Central Foundry connection and Bedford Belt, plus portions of the Milwaukee tracks. The city would like to obtain the Monon to Mitchell, but is unable to obtain grant funding so far. CSX did sever the connector in Mitchell to the old B&O, but it could be coupled up very quickly. If possible I will photo the move and post it.

IndyKing

• Mogul
Re: Moving the Southern Indiana Railroad Depot in Bedford, IN
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 08:02:28 PM »
Great photos and great reporting Tom!  Thanks for posting this.
Cheers, Al

South end Tom

• Dispatcher
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 09:14:59 PM »
I forgot to mention that in photo 7 the red building is the old freight house.

buckeyehoosier

• Engineer
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 11:05:05 AM »
Glad to see it being saved. I was first up there back in the early 90s and every time I stopped in Bedford I'd always pay the old gal a visit.
Continuing my never ending quest for the dormant, the derelict and the decaying.

South end Tom

• Dispatcher
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 02:58:50 PM »
I just thought about the depot and drove over there. She is jacked up and ready to go. Still on schedule for May 9 - 10.

South end Tom

• Dispatcher
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 08:15:45 AM »
This morning the Times-Mail reported that the move has been rescheduled to May 18th due to the wet weather and rain forecast for the coming week.

rrnut282

• President
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 09:02:47 AM »
Can you imagine the towtruck they'd need if that got stuck in the mud? ;D
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

South end Tom

• Dispatcher
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 05:54:06 PM »
Here is a photo on the contractors web page that shows how it will be moved. Not sure how it is powered. There is one good hump at 13th to get over. I am sure they know what to do.

rrnut282

• President
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 09:36:22 PM »
I would also add that Sturgis MI did something similar a couple of years ago.  They had the audacity to move a NYC station next to a PRR track.  :o
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

South end Tom

• Dispatcher
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 10:27:58 PM »
I would also add that Sturgis MI did something similar a couple of years ago.  They had the audacity to move a NYC station next to a PRR track.  :o

Here is the link: https://www.wolfehousebuildingmovers.com/project/railroad-depot-move/

South end Tom

• Dispatcher
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 08:26:08 PM »
The contractor has delivered about 1/3 of the bogies. Looking good for Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Due to medical reasons I may not be able to post any "action" shots on Wednesday, but should be able to photo it wherever they stop later in the evening. The detailed stone carving dates from its construction in 1900. One of the reasons Walsh bought the railroad was for the stone traffic. In addition to the depot part, the building was the corporate headquarters.

South end Tom

• Dispatcher
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 06:49:22 PM »
The contractor is completing the bogie installation and has prepared the cribbing at the new location. Still a go for Wednesday. Note the generator on the end of the building.

South end Tom

• Dispatcher
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 10:58:41 AM »
The contractor will move the depot to the edge of the street today, a distance of about 50 ft., according to WBIW. Apparently, in case of trouble, a backup plan has been proposed.

South end Tom

• Dispatcher
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 05:17:39 PM »
First 50 - so far so good.

South end Tom

• Dispatcher
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 09:18:05 PM »
The contractor completed the move all in one day. Although I was unable to attend the festivities due to medical events, I will share some photographs that were posted on facebook. The last 3 photos are ones that I took about 4:30 this afternoon. I will post the finished product when it is completed, landscaped, etc. I have seen the plans and it should be rather nice. The graded area is the new parking area. This was funded by a Stellar grant the Bedford applied for. Oh yes, this has generated a lot of controversy. FB4 is in the swag adjacent to the Monon Depot. FB5 is just south of 13th Street.

South end Tom

• Dispatcher
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 09:22:28 AM »
For anyone interested, the Times-Mail [www.tmnews.com] has a free photo gallery on their website. Just scroll down and on the right side is the link.

South end Tom

• Dispatcher
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 12:58:50 PM »
Here is the video made by Kevin Hudson showing the depot move from the air. I don't see any actual movement of the structure itself but other equipment and people are moving. I guess an inch a minute is pretty slow ???????

IndyKing

• Mogul
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2016, 08:51:01 PM »
Now the Monon has two depots! ;D
Nice reporting, Tom.
Cheers, Al

buckeyehoosier

• Engineer
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2016, 03:39:32 PM »
All that money to save the depot but none to save rail service, let alone attract new rail customers.  ::)
Continuing my never ending quest for the dormant, the derelict and the decaying.

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2016, 04:58:59 PM »
All that money to save the depot but none to save rail service, let alone attract new rail customers.  ::)

What you would like for railroads would be great but much more massive expenditure and likely ongoing. This is a one-time expenditure to save a historic building and perhaps find a use for it.

IndyKing

• Mogul
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2016, 08:57:06 PM »
This is a one-time expenditure to save a historic building and perhaps find a use for it.

I am looking forward to when they open it up, I believe for trail-related use, as I am intrigued by how it will look on the inside.
Cheers, Al

South end Tom

• Dispatcher
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2016, 09:12:12 PM »
Here is the proposed floor plan taken from the contract drawings.

South end Tom

• Dispatcher
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2016, 09:43:48 PM »
Tom,

By chance, have you "heard" much information as to whatever became of the combined Bedford and Mitchell White River Port Authority, in addition to, any subsequent plans to retain rail service into Bedford (or the removal and replacement of it for trail purposes)?
I have no information concerning that. In Mitchell CSX cut out two short rails on the connector track just north of main street. Just what significance that has other than no train can access the Monon off the B&O. I posted a photo on the Indiana Sub page way back when.

South end Tom

• Dispatcher
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2016, 08:56:39 PM »
Here is an up to date photo of the progress so far. To me it seems like it is taking forever to complete. One hiccup occurred this summer. The building is at the bottom of the slope and water from a couple of heavy rains managed to seep in the lower mechanical space causing some damage.

South end Tom

• Dispatcher
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2017, 08:35:30 AM »
The station site and exterior work is now complete. They hope to have an open house this coming spring.

South end Tom

• Dispatcher
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 08:49:40 AM »
On a sadder note, just around the bend to the north sits the Monon Depot in disrepair. compare the two photos from 1967 and 2017.

IndyKing

• Mogul
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2017, 09:51:45 PM »
On a sadder note, just around the bend to the north sits the Monon Depot in disrepair. compare the two photos from 1967 and 2017.

Tom, it even looks like the recycler (Lawrence County Recycling?) has moved out.  Is this the case?
Cheers, Al

South end Tom

• Dispatcher
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2017, 08:10:23 PM »
Yes they have moved into the new consolidated recycling facility on Mitchell Road (South "M" street) where the old Elliot Stone Company was.

IndyKing

• Mogul
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2017, 06:15:48 PM »
Yes they have moved into the new consolidated recycling facility on Mitchell Road (South "M" street) where the old Elliot Stone Company was.

Thanks Tom.  I wonder how long it will last with no occupant, and gradually falling more and more into disrepair?
Cheers, Al

xgap

• President
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2017, 08:13:45 PM »
I'll assume this was funded by our Indiana Stellar program. IMO, that does not address the real issue,
Badly Needed Infrastructure. Which could then include a few cents toward our current working Indiana shortlines.

billstroud1980

• Fireman
  • A Railroad History Fan
Some say it can't be done, others do it anyways...
-Doormat