Author Topic: Hello from Cartersburg  (Read 1740 times)

jjbford

Hello from Cartersburg
« on: April 23, 2016, 08:32:47 AM »
Hello - I'm excited to be part of the forum. Thanks for having me. I recently purchased some property in Cartersburg (Hendricks Co, west of Indy) which includes segments of both the old Vandalia and the THI&E Interurban, including a concrete bridge where the Interurban crosses a creek. The bridge still stands, but it's deteriorating. I have questions about the bridge's historical significance (is it anything special or just typical?), and preserving the bridge (what kind of work it would need and how to do it). I know this is a "New Member Welcome" section, so does anyone have any advice on the best place to discuss this on the forum? Maybe in the Interurbans section? Thanks, Jeff B.

IU_Tower

• Mogul
Re: Hello from Cartersburg
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 09:19:50 AM »
Welcome to the board Jeff.... As for preserving the bridge, I have no idea. Maybe some of the construction guys on here might know. Doublestacks.... any info here?
Former resident of Indiana, now living at the beach in NC

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 09:45:26 AM »
I have questions about the bridge's historical significance (is it anything special or just typical?

Jeff, welcome to the board. You have purchased property that is of historical significance to many of us here on the board. The bridge over the West Fork of White Lick Creek is one of several of that style built for the interurban railroads around Indiana. The bridge builder pictured it on postcards used as advertising for their work.

Ten or so years ago my late friend Ron Stuckey was preparing a slide program about remaining remnants of the THI&E. He, another friend & I got permission from the man we thought was the property owner (he wasn't) to go into the field and take photos of the bridge. Attached are two photos of the THI&E bridge and one (through the overgrowth) of the west abutment of what was the PRR bridge.

So, while all of this is valuable to us it might not be so to the rest of the world. Perhaps Nate knows someone with a more objective opinion.

Does your property include the spot where the THI&E went under the PRR?

jjbford

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 10:20:53 AM »
That's it! Glad to know you're familiar with it. I'm collecting what postcards I can, including the one attached. I'm happy to allow access to the bridge to anyone interested if they make arrangements with me in advance.

I don't own the underpass, but I know the landowner.

Like many old concrete structures, the rebar is deteriorating the bridge from the inside out, and water/ice freeze/thaw and erosion is causing the structure to separate in places. I figure that if the bridge has significance to society, funding may be available to help repair or rehab it before it gets worse and we lose it. Or maybe there's something that I can do myself on a small scale, but I'm out of my area of expertise. Any advice on repair or how to research and justify its significance would be appreciated!

Joosh

• Engineer
  • No defects. Detector out.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 01:30:08 PM »
Welcome aboard!

trainmaster53

• Jay Gould
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 04:22:04 PM »
Welcome. Glad to have you.

Russ Schwartz

• Dispatcher
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 09:40:54 PM »
Welcome jjbford!

The Monon ran down our back property line, and the interurban ran down our street.  It's great to be "sandwiched" in history! :)

-- Russ Schwartz

ScottFlood

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 08:57:46 AM »
Welcome jjbford from your neighbor ... I'm in the old part of Plainfield!

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 08:23:57 PM »
greetings from your distant neighbor in bridgeport, another town along the route. welcome to the board.

im not real sure what to do about the rebar falling apart inside. some basic steps you can take is to keep trees and vegitation cut around the bridge. use some tordon on cut trees and bushes to prevent second growth. take steps to repair any erosion from the creek. as we know either the east or west fork of the white lick creek can get pretty mean.

as far as the concrete itself, you can try basic things like the fast drying basement repair, or some grout in the cracks. if the hardware stores become useless, try a construction supply house like white cap construction supply.  which is on the west side here near girls school and morris st in the industrial park on the northeast quadrant of the intersection.

i may talk to you about stoppin in out there one day, glad to have you around.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 08:49:26 PM by doublestacks »
Steel is real and it feels no pain.

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 11:16:58 PM »
Welcome!! Back in 2002 I too explored the bridge and adjacent field, as well as the partially filled-in tunnel under the PRR. My photos and notes are still available on the old old INDRR site, here: http://indiana.railfan.net/ghosts/cartersburg.html

I'd say this bridge is probably one of the best preserved concrete arch interurban bridges and isn't threatened by development or highway expansion. I'll also toss out there that this bridge would be the easiest way for the PRR rail-trail, if it were to come this far, to cross the creek since the railroad bridge is long gone.

As for preservation, I'd recommend contacting Indiana Landmarks for ideas. They could even send out a rep to help you determine what might need to be done. Again, especially since this bridge, IMO, is a rarity. Heck, they might even put forth a match grant if you really want to go all out on preserving it!

Very happy to have you on board here!
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.