Author Topic: "The Siding" cars to move  (Read 2377 times)

ATSF616

• Conductor
"The Siding" cars to move
« on: March 20, 2016, 03:41:33 PM »
Peru's railroad-theme restaurant "The Siding" has closed after 30-plus years.  The main building has been demolished, and two ex-MILW lightweight cars which served as a dining room annex have been donated to the city of Peru.  After cosmetic touch-up, they will be displayed somewhere along the former C&O and NKP rail-trails.

rrnut282

• President
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
Re: "The Siding" cars to move
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 01:15:17 PM »
Bummer, I never made it over there to eat.
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

LJ

• President
  • The train's are on their way back!!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 05:34:33 PM »
The food there use to be pretty good!! Had a nice view of the tracks as well.

Trainman19

• Superintendent
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 10:28:59 AM »
Bummer, I never made it over there to eat.

I know the feeling. My parents have been, but I never went and I regret it now.  :(
20 down. Time taken to complete: 4 3/4 years.

LJ

• President
  • The train's are on their way back!!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 01:58:10 PM »
The contractor in charge of moving them use to work for Conrail and the NS as a trackman. I told him if the city doesn't want the cars, I have a spot on the farm here in White County. Have not heard anything since I said that???

WLMarc

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 09:20:33 AM »
That is sad.  I never got a chance to eat there either.  On a similar note, I was just in Greencastle a few weeks back and noticed that the Monon Restaurant on the north side of town (by the US231 crossing) is no longer operating.  When did that restaurant close its doors?

IndyKing

• Mogul
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 10:39:58 AM »
That is sad.  I never got a chance to eat there either.  On a similar note, I was just in Greencastle a few weeks back and noticed that the Monon Restaurant on the north side of town (by the US231 crossing) is no longer operating.  When did that restaurant close its doors?

I vaguely recall going there to eat at some point in the last year or two and they appeared to be close at that time too.
Cheers, Al

TomB

• Dispatcher
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 11:59:39 AM »
Reminds me of the old Victoria Station chain of restaurants with rail cars out in front.  They went out of business also.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Station_(restaurant)

Chessie's in Barrington, IL, is thriving in an old C&NW commuter station with two former IC commuter cars for dining.

ScottFlood

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 07:12:25 AM »
There used to be an ice cream parlor in an old dining car along the Panhandle in Lansing, Illinois ... less than a mile from the state line. The Hoosier State used that line back then. Went out of business in the late 80s, I believe.