Author Topic: Monon Heritage Unit  (Read 2066 times)

High_Hood

• Engineer
Monon Heritage Unit
« on: March 16, 2016, 04:13:13 PM »
I have read several posts in other parts of this site that the Southern Railway was looking at the Monon as a merger partner to gain a Chicago gateway.
In the model railroading world we can freelance the what if's into our own reality. So lets say the Southern merged with the Monon, then in 1982 became part of the Norfolk Southern, fast forward to 2012 NS releases its heritage fleet and includes a Monon unit.
Since the NS units look like modern versions of their past counterparts, what would a Monon unit have looked like? Red and White? Black and Gold?
Has anyone else thought of this and made their own?

Trainman19

• Superintendent
Re: Monon Heritage Unit
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 05:50:08 PM »
My view: GE ES44AC (or ET44AC if built in 2015/16) in black & gold or an EMD SD70ACe in Red and White.

Added note: I once considered doing a modern look at the Monon, based on a role reversal of the L&N purchase. However, I have since gone to the idea of a modern Wabash RR, but may include the Monon into the timeline for the fun of it.  ;D
20 down. Time taken to complete: 4 3/4 years.

panhandle

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 09:03:40 PM »
FWIW, used to run these over the Monon route  for MSTS...

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 11:06:33 PM »
Those top two look so good that I want to lick them and see what they taste like!  SWEEET!! 8)

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 01:25:02 PM »
I would think that the MONON would have kept the Red and Grey as a Scheme for their Freights. It was a better looking Scheme or they may have changed it to something else. Maybe an earlier Scheme that they never adapted. they had several Schemes but went with the Red and Gray and Black and Gold. Yours look really Great.

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
  • Railroading: It's a way of life, more than a job.
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 06:40:04 PM »
The Monon choose their color scheme to represent Purdue University for their freights and Indiana University for their passenger units since they served both Lafayette and Bloomington.  Being that Purdue is my alma mater, I have to say I enjoy the black and gold heritage scheme!
"Don't find a fault, find a remedy."

arobb00

• Superintendent
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 07:20:52 PM »
I am an IU fan but I like the black and gold Monon scheme better :/   

monon_rr

• Dispatcher
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 11:31:37 PM »
The Monon choose their color scheme to represent Purdue University for their freights and Indiana University for their passenger units since they served both Lafayette and Bloomington.  Being that Purdue is my alma mater, I have to say I enjoy the black and gold heritage scheme!

There is a long held debate as to where the colors originated....Wabash and DePauw are also served by the line and have the same colors....I would say that the best bet is that by default they represented the four major colleges on the line.

ScottFlood

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 07:03:10 AM »
As was St. Joseph's College in Rensselaer (my alma mater) ... but cardinal red and purple didn't fit the Monon's scheme ...

PC 6561

• Brakeman
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 01:32:33 AM »
 So who is modeling a Modern Monon Railroad?
Thanks  M. Shirey

Trainman19

• Superintendent
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2016, 04:28:52 AM »

I was planning on doing so in HO, but switched to the Wabash. However, I may add the Monon, in a small role.
20 down. Time taken to complete: 4 3/4 years.

Chessieguy42

• Chief Dispatcher
  • Gotta love it
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2016, 10:18:16 AM »
Purdue hands down ;D
Long live the Chessie.

Lt._Dave

• Dispatcher
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 01:24:13 PM »

I actually have a Monon GP15 on my workbench, getting ready to paint in the black and gold.

High_Hood

• Engineer
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 06:47:51 PM »

I am slowly working on plans for a Free-mo module of Roachdale with both the Monon and B&O lines still being active and owned by NS and CSX respectively.

Gunplumber

• Brakeman
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 12:07:30 PM »
I am working on a small 4x6 starter layout that I believe is referred to as an inverted figure 8 (the second loop is inside the first loop so no need for blocking) with 2 short sidings. The majority of my rolling stock is Monon (no Monon locos yet). I would like to build a bigger layout loosely based on the Monon but lack much trackage info.

Posting is a pain in the a**. I have yet to post in less than 5 or 6 attempts.

Gunplumber

• Brakeman
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 02:40:39 PM »
Got my posting "bugs" worked out. Now I "think" I know what I'm doing... :)

wolfeden

• Conductor
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2017, 10:09:18 PM »
I have been working on a Monon layout since Thanksgiving 2016. Every weekend and almost every evening. My deadline is June 3rd. I will have it set up and running at the Monon food festival. It's a due or die thing. Track is as small as I can get by with and still be portable. Took my oldest son and I 1.5 hours to bolt it together. This is part of a creation my Dad and I built together back in 1995. The train sat in a unheated barn for more then 15 years. After Dad passed, I took over the restoration.

Here is a link to a short video.   
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 05:34:20 AM by wolfeden »