Author Topic: Why did the RRs switch to Diesel??? [Solved: Speed, Dick Dilworth]  (Read 1938 times)

Gary

• Conductor
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Only a one word answer is needed.

And, the answer is related to a significant person in locomotive development.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 11:40:22 AM by robert_b1 »

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
Re: Why did the RRs switch to Diesel???
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 09:23:10 PM »
Not the right answer but money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bleed red

• Engineer
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 09:43:13 PM »
Rudolf or Clessie?

Jeff

• Engineer
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 09:38:53 AM »
Efficiency. Steam engines were not efficient.

indiana226

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 10:13:35 AM »
Steam engines were not efficient in more than one way; the constant coaling and water stops were becoming an issue, as well as the amount of maintenance a steam locomotive requires. A steam locomotive had to make a water stop every so often and that would take significant time. They also had to overhaul the steamers, which took them out of service for significant periods of time. The routine everyday maintenance on steamers was also difficult for the railroads to continue. The switch was made to modernize the railroads from a technology that was in from the mid-19th century up until the early 1960's.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 11:53:28 AM »
Maintenance is the key.

N&W ran some tests in the 50s.

Performance on the road, and fueling costs were just about a wash.

Where steam faltered was the maintenance. Hundreds more men were needed and they cost a lot more to overhaul and needed it more often.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

Gary

• Conductor
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 04:45:00 PM »
Good answers..............

Not the one I am looking for!!

I also was sure that it was the maintenance and cost that did the steam engines in.

It is not what this "PIONEER" had stated as fact.

(yes that is a hint!)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 09:36:06 AM by Gary »

h2466

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 06:28:40 PM »
The Kaufman act? Ken 8)

Gary

• Conductor
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 09:11:10 PM »
The Kaufman act did hasten the diesel into usage, but is not the answer.

Indiana226 is on the right track, so to speak. 

Think technology.   

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 09:39:13 PM »
Does it have to do with signaling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

h2466

• Conductor
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 10:04:56 PM »
Electrification? Ken 8)

Gary

• Conductor
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 09:35:24 AM »
Nothing to do with signaling.

Of course a Diesel produces electricity, which runs the traction motors, but is not the answer.  This is however, the direction the DEVELOPER wanted to go.

(Another hint!)

SemperVaporo

• Dispatcher
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 01:07:36 PM »
I don't know who this 'individual' is... and I am being polite to call this 'individual' as such  :P ... but if/when you reveal this 'individual's' identity, if I could get hold of this 'individual', not that I advocate violence :-X, but I just might do something to express my displeasure  >:( at this 'individual's' role for the demise of the Steam Locomotive.  Durn Diseasal Dismals.  :'(

Semper Vaporo! is the maxim. :-*
Semper Vaporo
Charles T. McCullough
CMBY RY

pkgs.

rrnut282

• President
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 01:14:50 PM »
Are you looking for the study on electrification where they found 'savings' in having the locomotive carry its own generator rather than a central plant and all that expensive wire?
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

Gary

• Conductor
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 04:40:13 PM »
SemperVaporo,  you would have to have a shovel to get to this person!!

I am sure a study was done, but that is far too involved for what this person
was referring to. 

This is directly related to the introduction & development of the diesel engine, for railroad usage, almost 100 years ago.

The railroads wanted this.
The railroads needed this.
The customers demanded it.

It is a 5 letter word.

h2466

• Conductor
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 06:19:27 PM »
Power? Ken 8)

hobodano

• Engineer
  • Retired Sou/NS
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 07:15:02 PM »
AGEIR  ??? BUSCH  ???  Lemp's  ???
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 07:30:23 PM by hobodano »
Fairly familiar with southern Indiana trackage

Gary

• Conductor
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 08:07:12 PM »
h2466.....you are soooo close.

What does more POWER get you????

5 letters......

Ok......"S" is the first letter!!!

hobodano

• Engineer
  • Retired Sou/NS
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2016, 08:14:51 PM »
SPEED  ???
Fairly familiar with southern Indiana trackage

Gary

• Conductor
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 09:24:38 PM »
YES!! 

It is SPEED!

The person in question is Dick Dilworth, the "Pioneer Developer" of the Diesel engine.

(Not exactly as stated in the book, but what what follows is a condensed version)

The period of time right after the depression was very hard for the RRs.  They were losing patronage to slim pocketbooks, to the highways and to the airplane.  For the business that was left, the competition was fierce.  The railroads tried various lures to the public, outstanding meals for example, but speed and high regularity of service was developed over the years and was successful.

The Union Pacific went for speed in the form of a small 3 car articulated trainset named the "City of Salina".  It attracted tremendous attention before it ever ran a mile.  The Burlington was next, using the small articulated trainset, the "Pioneer Zephyr".   Made of stainless steel, it was the first successful main-line train to use a Diesel engine.  It was speed that brought the internal combustion engine to the main line.  It was the diesel engine that lifted the horsepower ceiling and made possible the big locomotives of today.

During the winter of 1935-1936, which was severe, the President of the Burlington discovered his twin Zephyrs were performing faster than rival steam trains on the Chicago to Twin Cities route and found that the small wheels, heavy front end and constant smooth torque of the Zephyrs would power them thru the snow better than a steam engine.  They actually set up a test and had to shovel mounds of snow onto the track for the demonstration.  The Zephyr blew thru like an explosion and the Burlington used this event in their advertising.

Dilworth had discovered that when a steam locomotive heavy enough to pull a long
train went beyond 70 mph, it did one of two things.  Either the wheels pounded the track, often RAISING THE ENGINE OFF OF THE TRACKS or making the nose of the engine sway back and forth.  If you corrected one weakness, you would enhance the other.  He found there was a ceiling of size and speed beyond which the steam locomotive would not go.

After proving the small diesel trainsets could go fast and became more reliable, the next step was to develop an engine that could be used independently, that did not require a separate special trainset.  Once he developed that, it was all but over for steam engines.   The EMD FT units were the end result of this and they were very successful for the railroads. 

Unfortunately for fans of steam, like me, this was their end.  Diesels got more horsepower, became faster still, required much less maintenance and saved the railroads lots of money, by cutting employees, maintenance facilities, etc, etc.

I always thought that the maintenance costs, etc, is what caused the railroads to turn to the Diesel engines.  This little book, "The Dilworth Story" was a shock for me to read.  Great little book, picked it up at the Indy South train show!