Author Topic: New member from Bluffton,IN.  (Read 1907 times)

Dewey643

New member from Bluffton,IN.
« on: January 18, 2016, 04:00:23 AM »
Hello from Bluffton,IN. My name is Dewey Jacks,...but go by Dewey643 here on the forum. My purpose for joining the forum is to get some history information on some of Indiana's railroads,and some of the major lines that run through Indiana. In addition to being a ham radio operator(call sign KC9SYJ),I am getting into rail roads heavily as
a replacement for the fishing hobby that I no longer have much interest in. As soon as time and budget allow,I hope to begin building my first model railroad in N-scale. Have not yet decided which RR line I want to model yet,or just come up with something on my own. Gas City,IN. is my home town.

rogerhensley

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
Re: New member from Bluffton,IN.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 06:55:18 AM »
Well, in the general area, the Big Four (NYC) ran East-West though central Indiana from the Ohio line through Muncie, Anderson and Indy. The Pennsy ran North-South from Richmond-New Castle, Anderson, Elwood and North. And the Nichol Plate (NKP) ran across Indiana from Muncie, Alex, Elwood and Tipton. Those are old names. They went to the PC, Conrail and CSX and the NKP to NW, and NS.

Take your pick. :-)

Roger
http://madisonrails.railfan.net/ 
Roger Hensley

Railroads of Madison County - (NYC and More) - http://madisonrails.railfan.net/
East Central Indiana HO RR - http://madisonrails.railfan.net/eci/eci_new.html

ScottFlood

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 08:39:33 AM »
Welcome, Dewey ... glad you're here!

Dewey643

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 11:46:45 AM »
I live here in Bluffton,and we have a short line,...Wabash Central,...that I THINK runs from Van Buren to Craigville,...or it could be just from Warren To Craigville. It serves Salamonie Mills in Warren and Helena Feeds( or Helena Chemical) in Craigville,I believe. That track it runs on is in sad shape and needs repairs badly. They run super slow,...no more than 10 mph! It interchanges with NS here in Bluffton. Wabash Central is based here in Bluffton. I don't know the name of it,but there is a grain elevator here in Bluffton that I believe it serves also.

KPryor

• Brakeman
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 12:13:24 PM »
Welcome from KA9PHI.
Ken Pryor
KA9PHI

arcticrail

• Superintendent
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 09:45:16 PM »
73's from KD9ADE    :)
If it moves or makes noise...I'm interested!

Joosh

• Engineer
  • No defects. Detector out.
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 05:42:51 PM »
Hello there!

rrnut282

• Mogul
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 01:29:54 PM »
First, welcome.

Second, Wabash Central doesn't serve any grain elevators in Bluffton.  Agland Grain is served by NS and the other has no sidings.  They do serve the former Moorman's feed mill on the West side of town.  It kinda looks like an elevator.
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

Cmdr_Suds

• Superintendent
  • Notch eight and sanding!
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 10:20:24 PM »
Welcome Dewey!
My work has taken me to Bluffton quite a bit lately.  I have done some reading on the old CB&C (Chicago, Bluffton & Cincinnati) or as it was known as "the Corn Beef & Cabbage"  I feel that the name was a little ambitious since it never made it past Huntington and Portland and was pulled up in the early 1900's.

Suds
"No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced."

rrnut282

• Mogul
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 01:23:38 PM »
Yet, you can still see evidence of the CB&C in many places around town.
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

Russ Schwartz

• Dispatcher
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 11:44:28 PM »
Welcome aboard, Dewey! 

This site is an encyclopedia of Indiana railroad history and operations.  I'm sure you'll find it a great resource when you build your model railroad.

-- Russ Schwartz