Author Topic: Ways to Reduce Wind Noise for Recording Video  (Read 828 times)

Joosh

• Engineer
  • No defects. Detector out.
Ways to Reduce Wind Noise for Recording Video
« on: January 06, 2016, 06:33:39 PM »
I question whether or not this is the right spot for this thread, but it seemed sensible to me, at least.

Anywho, I thought I would ask what some decent ways to reduce wind noise from video. I don't believe my camera has a port for an external microphone, so that won't be an option for me, so what else would work?

huelsy

• Conductor
Re: Ways to Reduce Wind Noise for Recording Video
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 08:02:48 PM »
Are you talking while filming or editing?  Just google, noise reduction from video and there will be a ton of hits.  I can't find the exact video tutorial that I used to remove it, I will keep looking and if I find it, I will post the link.

Joosh

• Engineer
  • No defects. Detector out.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 12:55:49 AM »
Are you talking while filming or editing?  Just google, noise reduction from video and there will be a ton of hits.  I can't find the exact video tutorial that I used to remove it, I will keep looking and if I find it, I will post the link.
Either, I suppose, but I'd prefer while filming. While yes, a Google search did come up with a nice array of ideas, I just thought I'd go ahead and ask here for any suggestions from others here.

trafficcritic

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 12:28:10 PM »
I use a Tascam DR-22 recorder to separately record audio. Then I replace the camera audio in post. For my recorder I have a foam microphone cover that blocks most wind noise. Unfortunately this is the only way I could get decent audio in my videos.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 03:40:53 PM »
You can take old sweatshirt or flannel shirt and cut and tape around mic opening.  Issue comes with wind through the plastic opening and this prevents the majority from getting there.  Won't say who but a person who does DVD and youtube has this setup on a camera they use for alternate angles and it does work.