Author Topic: Avon yard pull down channel  (Read 1439 times)

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
Avon yard pull down channel
« on: November 07, 2015, 08:49:41 PM »
Could someone explain what this channel is?  What movements does it cover?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
  • Railroading: It's a way of life, more than a job.
Re: Avon yard pull down channel
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 08:55:11 PM »
What AAR channel number is it?  If it is 82 that is just the puller jobs talking amongst eachother and tower two and a ground guy that used to be tower one verifying track switch line ups etc.  The traffic on that channel will consist of pulling cars out of the class tracks bound for the departure yard for the building of outbound trains. 
"Don't find a fault, find a remedy."

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
Avon yard pull down channel
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 09:21:23 PM »
What AAR channel number is it?  If it is 82 that is just the puller jobs talking amongst eachother and tower two and a ground guy that used to be tower one verifying track switch line ups etc.  The traffic on that channel will consist of pulling cars out of the class tracks bound for the departure yard for the building of outbound trains.
Not sure.  I found a broadcasting web site that  is only Avon yard.  The channel is 3 and the actual number is 161.340 according to web site.  I heard a lot of talk from tower 2 and it seemed to be going to two different sets of crews that they kept calling 294 and 298??? I think.  Sounded like they were shoving because they kept counting car lengths.  I also heard thevindy line dispatcher too.  Something about picking up a conductor at girl school road. 

The site also says it monitors Indy terminal dispatcher, hump, primary switching channel 160.980 as well.  I also heard them refer to the Sanky inbound, lol.  Didn't realize that is what your name on here is from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 09:44:37 PM »
161.340 is the puller channel, aar 82 and 160.980 is the yard channel, aar 58.  The feed sounds like it has multiple channels being scanned.  Yea the sanky inbound is a track that leads from the main to the west end of the receiving yard. 

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 01:24:35 PM »
Pullers use a split channel system.  21-82. Broadcast on one, receive on the other.  Not sure which is the transmit, and which is receive.

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 08:45:26 PM »
I will have to research that.  I wonder what channel 21 is used for (TX vs. RX) because I have only heard sporadic traffic on that channel.  It could be that 21 is a transmit channel for the conductors hand helds and I cannot pick up hand helds from my location.  82 is so busy I lock it out on my scanner at the house.  I did listen to 82 during winter weather to try and save the needed relay of frozen switch info to tower two then have the towerman radio us for help.  I have no problem hearing truck, locomotive, or base radios from Avon at the house but cannot hear hand helds.  Sometimes on 82 there is a strong echo when guys are transmitting, I am not sure what causes that.