Author Topic: Tulip Trestle Viewing Platform  (Read 2297 times)

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
Tulip Trestle Viewing Platform
« on: October 17, 2015, 10:12:16 AM »
There will be a Ribbon Cutting Ceremony at Tulip Sunday Afternoon at 2;00 Pm. Everyone is Welcome. Larry Shute Say's says its a very nice Viewing Platform. Hope to see everyone there tomorrow. Larry has something to do with the History of Tulip Trestle. For those who may not know this, Tulip Viaduct is 2,295 Feet Long and 180 Feet Tall. If you have Never been there, it is a Sight to see. In World War II The US Army had to Place Troops There because the Germans wanted to Blow it Up. Larry Shute has Information on the Viaduct.

trafficcritic

• Dispatcher
Re: Tulip Trestle Viewing Platform
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 12:00:59 PM »
What are the best times to observe trains traversing the trestle?

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 10:43:49 PM »
There is a Correction on the Date. It is Next Sunday Oct 25th at 2:00 Pm. As far as Good Times to catch the Trains, I do not know. I am meeting with Larry Shute Tomorrow afternoon and will have more information on good times to observe the Trains. Sorry for the Mix Up, Larry corrected the Time a few minutes ago.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 07:04:57 PM »
Was at the Observation Platform Today. Looks Real Good. Larry would like a Big Crowd Next Sunday at the Ribbon Cutting. It is at 2:00 Pm. So Mark your Calendars for Sunday Oct 25th and make this Operation Tulip Trestle Observation Platform. Hope to see everyone there Next Weekend.

MFromholt

• Engineer
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 06:50:08 AM »
By chance can you provide directions for where the platform was built?

trafficcritic

• Dispatcher
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 09:50:30 AM »
Was at the Observation Platform Today. Looks Real Good. Larry would like a Big Crowd Next Sunday at the Ribbon Cutting. It is at 2:00 Pm. So Mark your Calendars for Sunday Oct 25th and make this Operation Tulip Trestle Observation Platform. Hope to see everyone there Next Weekend.

Will there be a train around that time?

chriis

• Dispatcher
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 11:50:20 AM »
If things are normative, i doubt there'll be a train on Sunday at 2pm, maaaaaybe an eastbound HWSA as early as 4pm, maybe.

The location of the viewing platform can be found in an older thread: http://indianarailroads.org/board/index.php?topic=17446.0

What are the best times to observe trains traversing the trestle?

To update times for traffic passing over the Tulip Trestle, there are basically three trains.

I see Coal runs thru Bloomington 2-3 times per week around sunrise, both loaded (slightly later) and empty (slightly earlier). Last year, IPL announced the Harding St Station is to convert to natural gas next year. I’d gamble at the trestle 6-7am.

Manifest/container trains tend to swap crews in Switz City most Monday thru Friday’s. The westbound SAHW is supposed to go on duty in Indy at 12:30pm, I most often see it pass thru Bloomington about 3-4pm. The eastbound HWSA is supposed to go on duty at Jasonville at 2:30pm, I moat often see it pass through Bloomington 8-10pm. Saturdays only the SAHW runs, and Sunday only the HWSA, both a few hours earlier. I occasionally see coal trains running in the manifest’s slot. (I’ve read that the westbound now runs west past Linton and Dugger directly to Palestine,IL in order to expedite the containers to CN, then heads back to Jasonville). I’d gamble at the trestle 4-7pm M-F, with a sidetrip to Switz City in the middle.

Rock for the scrubber at Merom comes off the branch in Bloomington often at 9:30pm sharp 3-4 times per week, then the engines have to flip ends on the siding and it leaves town west on the mains a fat hour later. I occasionally see the empties doing the reverse about 12:30am. I’d gamble at the trestle about 11pm and a sidetrip to Bloomington.

At current track speeds, the trains can make it from Bloomington to the Tulip Trestle in a fat half hour, and I suspect that the trip from Switz City to the Trestle is a skinny half hour.

When there’s trackwork, (regularly in the summer) the manifest/stacks tend to run later.

The sightings thread catches about 70% Bloomington east (it’s not called hearings…): http://indianarailroads.org/board/index.php?topic=5736.0

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 12:20:21 PM »
The most reliable train seems to be the afternoon/evening Northbound/Eastbound out of Hiawatha on Sunday.

As long as I have watched the INRD, there always seemed to be a late Sunday Afternoon/Evening train that heads north to SAT.
They often have extra engines needed for the week at SAT.

In the Summer days are long enough to have light on the way up..... this time of year it's a crapshoot.

But it is by far the most reliable train to catch on the trestle.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 07:21:03 PM »
Just a Reminder that the Ribbon Cutting at the Viewing Platform at Tulip is this Sunday at 2 Pm. Hope to see Everyone There on Sunday.