Author Topic: West side layout design.  (Read 2191 times)

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
  • Railroading: It's a way of life, more than a job.
West side layout design.
« on: September 18, 2015, 11:15:52 AM »
I have two young boys, so as any father, I plan to build some sort of layout for them in the future when they start to get to the to appreciate it.  My dad built a small N scale layout when I was a kid but we never really finished it.  I have more room now and quickly drew up a layout that resembles the west side going to Lebanon to Crawfordsville with some alterations and mix of the old and new.  Let me know your thoughts, and how does one go to figuring what all you can fit in a given space?  I'd say I have about a 12x22 area to work with give or take.  Are there any good books that assist with layout design?  The era of the layout would be early to mid 60s.  I know this drawing is pretty involved, but I suppose could be built in stages with the various yards and industries added as time permits (I ran out of paper for CP AN). 
"Don't find a fault, find a remedy."

crfan59

• Dispatcher
  • CP freight to Lousiville on CSX' Hoosier sub.
Re: West side layout design.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 12:32:30 PM »
Cool plan!  Looks very ambitious.  A couple things I would consider:  Anywhere you have tracks making a 180 degree turns, I would allow for at least 5 ft. of space.  That gives you a 30" radius on your track which I have always felt is the minimum if you are running larger cars or engines and want them to look and operate well.  Using a helix might give you more flexibility to construct one area over another (multi-level) with as much activity as you are planning.  That's what I'm trying to do,and I'm also trying to limit the "shelves" that the layout is built on to 2' widths or less so that I can reach in.  Another thing to consider is aisle width.  People often try to cram too much layout into one area and then it becomes awkward trying to move around -- especially during an operating session if you plan to have those.  There are a lot of great resources out there (books and on line) as well as some great area layouts.  I've gotten many of my ideas by observing other individuals' layouts.  You quickly develop your own strategy of what to do and also what not to do.  Good luck.

crfan
One way, Your way, My way, Our way, Right way, Wrong way, Conway, Conrail !

crfan59

• Dispatcher
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 12:38:16 PM »
After re-reading your original post, I realized that you are probably going N-scale so that would certainly cut the space needed in half vs. HO.  Hope your layout becomes a reality. 

crfan

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 12:14:34 AM »
Thank you for the info.  I need to search out some books that have standards for curve radiuses and such to help get a basic plan.  From what it sounds, with a 30" minimum curve radius, an HO layout would be huge with that design.  I thought I could just build the mains with some turnouts in place for futute industries and build them as time permits.  I also should adapt the layout to accomodate access portals or peninsula style construction.  Are there any good books that you know of that would be a good resource?

MDavis

• Superintendent
  • VP; Webmaster Naptown White River
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 03:46:14 AM »
Intriguing and Ambitious are the words. I like the plan, but I see two related issues.

1)Where are your aisles? I'm not seeing clear and defined aisleways, and I see a lot of *thunk* painful *trhwop* duck-unders.
2) To get this much space into your room, your aisleways look tight. (maybe I'm wrong?) How much are yu going to be reaching across and how much can you actually reach. It may be okay for two boys, but you?

I do like the plan though. Covers a good portion of Central Indiana and with plenty of running room. If the Club does ever expand, I may have to come looking for this...
In accordance with our lease agreements with the Army, graffitists at JPG will be considered tresspassing and a national threat, and shot on sight.
-CMPA: HO
http://www.sites.google.com/site/cmpaho

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 08:37:31 AM »
I need to do some major revisions to the plan.  Possibly change the era and eliminate Avon all together.  Make it an early 50s.  I also need to miminize the 180 loops as much as possible.  I was thinking of making a set up that could lower from the ceiling of my shop which would allow me a lot of room.

IndyKing

• Mogul
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 11:14:13 AM »
I need to search out some books that have standards for curve radiuses and such to help get a basic plan.

Visit the NMRA website, specifically the section that covers Standards & Recommended Practices (http://www.nmra.org/index-nmra-standards-and-recommended-practices).  That should give you some good information in both HO and N scales.
Cheers, Al

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 01:16:58 PM »
Visit the NMRA website, specifically the section that covers Standards & Recommended Practices (http://www.nmra.org/index-nmra-standards-and-recommended-practices).  That should give you some good information in both HO and N scales.

Thank you!

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 01:31:16 PM »
Ok, so I found an old track plan magazine I had from Model Railroader that gave me some decent guidlines on track centers and curve radiuses, also used some information gathered on this forum (thank you all).  Started drawing with some graph paper and believe me this layout would be just a dream and is much bigger than I expected!  It would be a lot of work.  Here is a draft I made this morning using N scale with anywhere from 16"-18" curves on the mains to 12" on the industry tracks.  It is quite a bit different than the first sketch with a lot of omissions.  Comes out to roughly 30'x20' and is a moderate L shape. 

The layout centers it's attention building around CP IJ and branching out from there.  Still a mix of old and new with some basic interpretations on what Lebanon might have looked like and Ames years ago.  Also have the B&O moorefield yards, old connections at CP1, Lebanon, and Ames.  Bear in mind there are many simplifications to the yards, industries, and interlockings that are represented.  Track centers are not to scale so this will also throw some aspects off when looking at the drawing.  I suppose if this was to come to fruition I would layout everything on some large pieces of cardboard or paper on the shop floor as it would look in actual N scale.  Again, I am just dreaming here!

I made some adjustments to the picture to assist in the contrast.  Hopefully it is clear enough to view.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 02:12:08 PM by SankyInbound »

rwadams

• President
  • CSX Indiana Subdivision
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 07:47:00 PM »
I need to do some major revisions to the plan.  Possibly change the era and eliminate Avon all together.

You should keep Avon just do it as hidden staging.
It will increase your operating possibilities.

If you have the money there are some good software programs for track planning.
http://www.eldoradosoft.com/3pi.htm
https://www.anyrail.com/index_en.html
http://www.cadrail.com/
These are just a couple.

Rog :D
Just never mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MDavis

• Superintendent
  • VP; Webmaster Naptown White River
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2015, 11:45:52 PM »
Hmm...

Keep in mind I work in HO, and N is much smaller, but that layout looks really crowded. I suppose as a corner of a city, that's not a bad thing, but Indianapolis is not a conjested Metropolitan like some are and it just looks busy with no break between scenes...

my .02 though, it's your railroad
In accordance with our lease agreements with the Army, graffitists at JPG will be considered tresspassing and a national threat, and shot on sight.
-CMPA: HO
http://www.sites.google.com/site/cmpaho

ScottFlood

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 07:23:22 AM »
Best book I've read on layout planning was John Armstrong's Track Planning for Realistic Operation (Kalmbach). I reread it frequently. Lots of great advice on standards and such. He points out a lot of mistakes people make when planning layouts. The book is a little dated, but the basic ideas hold up just fine.

crfan59

• Dispatcher
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 08:22:58 AM »
Looking at the revised layout, I see many reverse loops that would require autoreverser wiring & also many turnouts which, admittedly can be remote controlled, but if they are for industrial sidings, would you be able to reach in to couple / uncouple -- even with N scale?  Would the access spots provide the necessary reach to get to everything that is going on?  Still looks like a very neat plan but very involved!

crfan

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 08:54:55 AM »
The wiring is something I know nothing about.  You bring up some very good points, if even a part of this layout is to be a reality I will have to figure out the wiring.  I know a little about dcc but is it even possible in N scale?  And there would have to be a lot more access points as well.  I do like the design and the realism it provides for operations.  I would be more into having the industries and buildings than dramatic scenery like water, topography, etc.  I am going to start the research process by doing some reading on circuitry and seeing what the limitations will be.  My layout knowledge doesn't go much further than putting my HO track or lionel around the christmas tree each year!