Author Topic: Presentation on US Presidents' Use of Trains  (Read 711 times)

Craig Berndt

Presentation on US Presidents' Use of Trains
« on: March 13, 2008, 06:23:39 AM »
When Presidents Traveled and Campaigned by Train.

This is a presentation by Richard Harris, a former Ball State administrator who combines his great interests in the American Presidency with trains. 

Andrew Jackson was the first and all that followed him have been on board trains at least briefly.  Harris takes us on a fascinating historical journey with an emphasis on the "Golden Age" of FDR, Truman and Ike as well as covering several very poignant "final trips."  Besides many pictures from Bob Wither's super book on the subject, Mr. Harris provides fascinating historical insights and many amusing happenings on the presidential trains. 

Mr. Harris made this outstanding presentation to the Hoosierland Chapter of the NRHS last fall and it was outstanding. Not just for railfans. Everyone will enjoy this presentation.

Sunday, March 16
2:00 p.m.
Baker St. PRR Depot
Ft. Wayne

Free to all.

Craig Berndt
Three Rivers Railroad Heritage Council

wheeler

• Brakeman
Re: Presentation on US Presidents' Use of Trains
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 09:48:00 AM »
Craig- I have a mounted photo of President Harding's funeral train all decorated that was presented to my great grandpa and has a note attached that thanks the garrett terminal crew for expedisously servicing the train on its' stop there.(I think all of the guys on shift then got one). No date on it though.