Author Topic: N. Judson vs. CKIN?  (Read 35466 times)

Buckeye #74

Re: N. Judson vs. CKIN?
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2015, 06:22:57 PM »
Would that be similar to what the Strasburg Railroad operations are?

xgap

• President
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2015, 10:16:23 PM »
Well as said, French Lick certainly pulled it off. It's no biggie, but they do get on the NS main to do their interchange. I wouldn't write off all of those Museum operation people. Some have more experience and years of service than some folks running the class ones. No guess at the funds to start up an operation though.
Aren't some of the Port Authorities operated as nonprofit?

E-Unit

• President
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2015, 12:08:12 AM »
There's a happy medium as far as "playing nice." The museum doesn't need the rail lines every day; if the freight moves predominantly on weekdays and the museum gets the reins on weekends -- and they communicate ahead of time when an exception has to be made -- this shouldn't be a big issues. We're not talking about high-density railroading of any kind here!

Exactly. They only have to run on weekends very occasionally. Class 1s can't always deliver the unit trains to them at opportune times. A new operator won't fix that.

That leads back to why would the town want the CKIN off? I could understand them wanting to try someone new after 10 plus years. But if that is the case is why is the museum so vocal about it if they have so little to do with it?

It all comes down to personal feelings between the CKIN and the HVRM and individual member level. I can't imagine any other "small potatoes" operator coming in and running it any better. I love the the little tidbit in the museum newsletter.
Prairie Maverick.

Bob Durnell

• President
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2015, 07:21:57 AM »
I have no idea what animosity there is and why between the CKIN, the town of North Judson and the HVRM, BUT, much like the late Craig Burroughs, Mr. Felix always seems to leave a trail of unhappy people wherever he goes.   Maybe the animosity is justified...

coal road

• Fireman
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2015, 06:55:05 AM »
Great, the museum wants to play railroad. Goodbye freight traffic.

There is NO freight traffic on the segment the museum runs on.  Hasn't been any since the line to Monterey was ripped up.

E-Unit

• President
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2015, 07:37:18 AM »
There is NO freight traffic on the segment the museum runs on.  Hasn't been any since the line to Monterey was ripped up.

Not quite.

Last year they ran a few covered hoppers of dry fertilizer out to English Lake. A farmer had an auger set up along Bigler Rd to transload it.
Prairie Maverick.

Chris Brown

• Dispatcher
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2015, 05:36:28 PM »
Well as said, French Lick certainly pulled it off. It's no biggie, but they do get on the NS main to do their interchange. I wouldn't write off all of those Museum operation people. Some have more experience and years of service than some folks running the class ones. No guess at the funds to start up an operation though.
Aren't some of the Port Authorities operated as nonprofit?
I came from the Indiana Railway Museum in French Lick, worked for Powell Felix at Evansville Terminal, Indiana Southwestern, and now CSX.

MSchwiebert

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2015, 01:02:43 PM »
Per a STB decision (link below) the museum will NOT become the new operator.
http://www.stb.dot.gov/decisions/readingroom.nsf/fc695db5bc7ebe2c852572b80040c45f/8157e5f82ff34f8485257e96004c97ed?OpenDocument

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2015, 02:18:37 PM »
Indiana Boxcar (CKIN parent) heading east - filed with STB to take over the Camp Chase Railroad on the southwest side of Columbus OH. 
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

STLX 7000

• Chief Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2015, 09:44:37 PM »
What has come of this commotion? Has a new operator been found?

Al Stevens

• Dispatcher
  • I "HOPE" you got the "CHANGE" you voted for!!
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2015, 10:19:23 PM »
I think they might have kissed and made up. Seems to be business as usual. Trains still running, mow work still going on.
"Shippers & Service are 'Hi' priority with us"
INDIANA HI-RAIL CORPORATION

STLX 7000

• Chief Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2015, 11:10:42 PM »
I think they might have kissed and made up. Seems to be business as usual. Trains still running, mow work still going on.

If true, that is great news! :)

STLX 7000

• Chief Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2016, 09:57:30 PM »
It now appears the museum intends to lawyer-up as the situation has become a City of North Judson/CKIN vs HVRM dispute. This could really blow things up. :o

E-Unit

• President
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2016, 02:46:40 PM »
It now appears the museum intends to lawyer-up as the situation has become a City of North Judson/CKIN vs HVRM dispute. This could really blow things up. :o

Do you have any citation to this?
Prairie Maverick.

STLX 7000

• Chief Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2016, 09:11:46 PM »
Do you have any citation to this?

This is what I gathered from the latest HVRM newsletter. They are worried about their ability to operate their museum trains. They are seeking legal counsel to protect themselves from "corporate interests" which probably means Indiana Box Car and Co-Alliance as those would be the beneficiaries should any ruling in the case go against the museum.

coal road

• Fireman
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2016, 10:24:35 AM »

I don't really see why the town would be going against the HVRM.  The one and only thing that town (and for that matter, Starke County as a whole) has going for it IS the museum. 
Why mess up the one and only out of town tourist draw they have going?

E-Unit

• President
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2016, 11:32:54 PM »
I don't really see why the town would be going against the HVRM.  The one and only thing that town (and for that matter, Starke County as a whole) has going for it IS the museum. 
Why mess up the one and only out of town tourist draw they have going?

How much tax revenue does the museum bring in for the county? Does the gas station sell a few extra hamburgers and juice boxes when they run trains?  ::)

I would be more concerned about disruption to local agribusiness. Those "self-serving" folks they mention in the newsletter are the real backbone of the county.

Museums work best on their own trackage. I have a feeling the museum or town did not consider that the freight operator would be successful and increase traffic levels tenfold. Hopefully the their legal representatives come up with a fair solution.
Prairie Maverick.

coal road

• Fireman
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2016, 06:05:55 AM »
There is no disruption to local agribusiness from the museum.  There is no business on the Lacrosse to North Judson portion of the line and most likely never will be.   

E-Unit

• President
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2016, 01:34:22 PM »
There is no disruption to local agribusiness from the museum.  There is no business on the Lacrosse to North Judson portion of the line and most likely never will be.

If they never go that way, why is the museum making a big deal out of it?
Prairie Maverick.

coal road

• Fireman
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2016, 05:15:11 PM »
IS it the museum that is making a big deal of it?   
There is definitely NO business on the Lacrosse to North Judson segment.