Author Topic: N. Judson vs. CKIN?  (Read 35480 times)

Bob Durnell

• President
Re: N. Judson vs. CKIN?
« Reply #220 on: June 11, 2019, 07:15:51 AM »
I can't speak for anybody else, but I know that my group of train people would be MUCH more likely to make the trek to North Judson if the there was a train that went much further north.   What they are currently doing is fine for the kids, but holds little to no interest to us.

OrangeAndBlack

• Brakeman
« Reply #221 on: June 11, 2019, 01:04:58 PM »
Not crying but stating a fact about the complete lack of any real reporting by WKVI and that joke of a paper in Knox........... fake news.

::)

MSchwiebert

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #222 on: June 11, 2019, 01:15:22 PM »
What is the FRA class of track for what the museum runs on and for the rest of the CKIN? 

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #223 on: June 11, 2019, 03:10:18 PM »
I can't speak for anybody else, but I know that my group of train people would be MUCH more likely to make the trek to North Judson if the there was a train that went much further north.   What they are currently doing is fine for the kids, but holds little to no interest to us.

Have you tried setting up a private excursion that does just that?

LJ

• President
  • The train's are on their way back!!!!
« Reply #224 on: June 11, 2019, 05:23:35 PM »
What is the FRA class of track for what the museum runs on and for the rest of the CKIN? 
I think H.V.R.M.'s piece is rated for Class II, but do not hold me to it. As for the rest of the C.K.I.N., I believe it is still Class I or Accepted track. Although I have been under the understanding that the C.K.I.N. was eventually going to bring the whole railroad up to Class II track.

Bob Durnell

• President
« Reply #225 on: June 11, 2019, 06:52:21 PM »
Have you tried setting up a private excursion that does just that?

That's a little more ambitious than I could likely pull off, but what I'm saying is if the HVRM could offer such a trip even once a year, I could probably get them a dozen or more paying passengers without even trying.  I think the interest would be there.  Probably not on a regular basis, but once in awhile, yes.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #226 on: June 11, 2019, 09:06:12 PM »
That's a little more ambitious than I could likely pull off, but what I'm saying is if the HVRM could offer such a trip even once a year, I could probably get them a dozen or more paying passengers without even trying.  I think the interest would be there.  Probably not on a regular basis, but once in awhile, yes.

If I remember, itís almost 10 miles from N Judson to LaCrosse.  If 10 mph track still, thatís an hour each way, plus run around time, etc.

Thatís almost a 3 hour run.  Pretty long excursion for most people.  I can see why it may not be a draw for people.

Bob Durnell

• President
« Reply #227 on: June 11, 2019, 11:02:22 PM »
Which is why it COULD be a draw for REAL train enthusiasts.  I am interested in trips that are long enough to make it worth the effort, and offer the chance to ride miles most will never see or ride over.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #228 on: June 11, 2019, 11:11:44 PM »
Which is why it COULD be a draw for REAL train enthusiasts.  I am interested in trips that are long enough to make it worth the effort, and offer the chance to ride miles most will never see or ride over.

Ok. Back where we started at, have you reached out to them to see if theyíll accommodate such a run?

E-Unit

• President
« Reply #229 on: June 12, 2019, 12:23:51 AM »
Once this tie program is done the CKIN should be evaluated as all Class I. Slow, safe, and still a widely adequate speed for their operations. Class II wouldn't be cost effective even though some of their track would easily qaulify. 

And Bob Durnell: I understand the want to ride on some little seen trackage, but you aren't missing much. Judson to English Lake is by far the best scenery. Most of the rest of the line is straight track and fields, especially the Malden Branch. Plus the rail out there will rock you to sleep. North end from Thomaston to Union Mills isn't too bad, but nothing tourist worthy. Slight gradient going into the Mills and it is fairly wooded. One pretty gentle curve. Diamond at Hanna is pretty cool, but easily seen legally on foot/vehicle.

Oh and if you do charter a trip. Please enjoy the long wait to cross at Thomaston. I'd bring a tall thermos for the half hour to two hour wait for dispatch to let you cross his precision operated railroad  ::)
Prairie Maverick.