Author Topic: N. Judson vs. CKIN?  (Read 34569 times)

MSchwiebert

• Chief Dispatcher
N. Judson vs. CKIN?
« on: May 06, 2015, 01:17:27 PM »
I've been reading the STB filings, and it sounds that the Gov't entity that owns the trackage wants to have a new operator in place prior to the current agreement expiring on 12/31/15. Is this a case of inadequate performance, a better deal from someone else or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

midland sub

• Dispatcher
Re: N. Judson vs. CKIN?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 12:21:08 PM »
CKIN part of the infamous Felix Powell empire?

MSchwiebert

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 12:45:51 PM »
Yes it is, hadn't thought of that part of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

midland sub

• Dispatcher
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 02:31:42 PM »
Is it Felix Powell or Powell Felix???

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 03:23:50 PM »
Mr...powell
Mr...felix
;)

That Guy

• Fireman
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 10:27:24 AM »
I read it also.  Anyone know who the new operator is that the town is talking with?

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 10:53:16 AM »
I read it also.  Anyone know who the new operator is that the town is talking with?

They're probably needing to terminate the lease early so they can start to look for a new operator?  They should have a list of people who filed petitions to operate the line from 2005 when they first assumed control of it the property. 

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 11:03:40 AM »
They're probably needing to terminate the lease early so they can start to look for a new operator?

In the filing numbered 238357 entered on May 11, 2015 CKIN speculates:

"CKIN believes that the Town may on a sole source basis offer a new lease and operating agreement to the Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum, a nonprofit entity that has no expertise operating a common carrier line of railroad handling grain."

That, apparently, is CKIN's take on the matter.

Al Stevens

• Dispatcher
  • I "HOPE" you got the "CHANGE" you voted for!!
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 11:39:36 AM »
Promises were made to create a railroad committee with members from La Porte, Starke and Porter county with a member from HVRM and 1 from North Judson. This promise was made when all 3 counties and INDOT ponied up the money to buy the line.

It seems that HVRM is calling all of the shots.

It's time for the Town of North Judson to honor their promise and let the decisions be made by a truly independent committee.

Love or hate R. Powell Felix, he has managed to turn a 300 car a year weed patch into a respectable 5000 car a year railroad.

Whether North Judson honors their promise or not, any new agreement by law still has to be put through a transparent bid process. Choosing to break a promise is one thing. Choosing to break the law is another.

"Shippers & Service are 'Hi' priority with us"
INDIANA HI-RAIL CORPORATION

E-Unit

• President
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 03:52:19 PM »
In the filing numbered 238357 entered on May 11, 2015 CKIN speculates:

"CKIN believes that the Town may on a sole source basis offer a new lease and operating agreement to the Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum, a nonprofit entity that has no expertise operating a common carrier line of railroad handling grain."

That, apparently, is CKIN's take on the matter.

Powell has the rates set just barely below the costs of trucking it and makes very little/no profit on shuttling the unit trains between the class 1's and the customer. It is short haul to Michigan for the grain leaving Malden.  The new operator (probably none other than the HVRM) would raise the rates and dry up the unit train traffic, leaving just the fertilizer and loose grain.

The HVRM would then be able to play choo choo at leisure. They would use EL 310 or a leased geep move the few remaining cars. It's their dream and they have convinced the town that's the way it should be.
Prairie Maverick.

Bob Durnell

• President
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 10:05:40 AM »
The one question I would have is if the rates on the unit trains is THAT low, is it worth the wear and tear on the track to run them?  Back in it's formative years, Indiana Rail Road turned down some unit grain trains because the rate was too low to make up for what it would do to their fragile track at the time.  I am also reminded of the old story about the Erie Lackawanna;  "We lose money on every piggyback trailer, but make up for it in volume..."

midland sub

• Dispatcher
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 11:00:41 AM »
Is this speculation or solid evidence in a tariff that you make that claim? I don't know of a shortline operation that sets the rate for unit grain trains interchanged to CSX or NS. The grain marketing departments set the rate and they then pay the shortline a per car fee.

Powell has the rates set just barely below the costs of trucking it and makes very little/no profit on shuttling the unit trains between the class 1's and the customer. It is short haul to Michigan for the grain leaving Malden.  The new operator (probably none other than the HVRM) would raise the rates and dry up the unit train traffic, leaving just the fertilizer and loose grain.

The HVRM would then be able to play choo choo at leisure. They would use EL 310 or a leased geep move the few remaining cars. It's their dream and they have convinced the town that's the way it should be.

coal road

• Fireman
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 08:10:51 PM »
Sounds to me like a very pro-Powell Felix reply from someone who has issues with HVRM.  The question I have is are those issues real or based on what Powell has told people about HVRM?

E-Unit

• President
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 11:18:38 PM »
Sounds to me like a very pro-Powell Felix reply from someone who has issues with HVRM.  The question I have is are those issues real or based on what Powell has told people about HVRM?

I am for running freight over running museum trains. Twist it however you want. However, personal feelings between the CKIN and HVRM is the underlying issue in this situation no matter what side you are on.

And in response to midland sub:  Perhaps I should have further researched my statement before posting. That is the way it was explained to me.  I am a casual railfan and not a railroad employee. Some terminology could have been misinterpreted.
Prairie Maverick.

Chris Brown

• Dispatcher
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 08:20:21 PM »
I worked for Powell down in Evansville on the Evansville Terminal. Who does the track repair and maintenance on this line? The CKIN or HVRM?

coal road

• Fireman
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 08:29:49 PM »
If you call inserting gauge bars everywhere the ties are gone "maintenance", then that would be Powell's guys.

Al Stevens

• Dispatcher
  • I "HOPE" you got the "CHANGE" you voted for!!
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 09:47:30 PM »
If you call inserting gauge bars everywhere the ties are gone "maintenance", then that would be Powell's guys.
I call  bull$hit.
"Shippers & Service are 'Hi' priority with us"
INDIANA HI-RAIL CORPORATION

JasonA

• Fireman
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2015, 10:56:46 PM »
Call it what you want, but Powell was not maintaining the track to class 1 status per the operating contract.  I have been out of the loop for a couple years, but it was a constant struggle over track issues.

E-Unit

• President
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 04:40:19 PM »
When I was by last month they had a 3rd party tie gang out. The track isn't awful for what they use it for.

If you wanna see some bad track go to the Youngstown and Southeastern. The line started out an an interurban and was "converted" to freight
Prairie Maverick.

RailfanJ-Ro22

• Mogul
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2015, 04:09:01 AM »
You talk about bad track. Go to the old CKS Depot in Knightstown. It's the stuff of legend. :)

Jeremy Rose - Check out my railroad videos at www.youtube.com/railfantube