Author Topic: How Far Can a Real Railcar Roll?  (Read 4164 times)

Caleb

• Superintendent
How Far Can a Real Railcar Roll?
« on: April 14, 2015, 12:03:45 PM »
How far can an empty 4750 hopper roll on even ground on jointed rail? I was just wandering because I was thinking I should pinch the truck side frames a little to give the wheels more rolling resistance to simulate the prototype more.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
Re: How Far Can a Real Railcar Roll?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 08:12:02 PM »
Years ago a String of Freight Cars Rolled out of Avon and made it to IU Tower.

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 03:08:33 AM »
Years ago a String of Freight Cars Rolled out of Avon and made it to IU Tower.

they only made it a little shy of girls school road to the east, just as the rail grade started into a cut. the train piled up between the two neighborhoods. they got very lucky it happened where it did.

i hope the crew has made a full recovery since then, i know they both had some serious broken bones.
Steel is real and it feels no pain.

Caleb

• Superintendent
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 08:02:33 AM »
Oh that's right! I think I remember my dad saying that the engineer of the locomotive the cars hit was one of his friends from the military.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 04:10:25 PM »
If a car starts rolling at avon it won't stop till downtown.  That's because it is all downhill.

In so far as a car rolling on flat track it depends if it is loaded or empty, and how well the car rolls. Some will roll a thousand feet or more, some might only roll 10.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 11:32:27 PM »
What I was talking about happened many Years ago and I knew the Operator at IU that was on duty when the Cars stopped at the Tower.

MDavis

• Superintendent
  • VP; Webmaster Naptown White River
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 05:57:01 PM »
What I was talking about happened many Years ago and I knew the Operator at IU that was on duty when the Cars stopped at the Tower.

I've heard that too, it was easier for Hawthorne to go get 'em than for Avon to send a tow.
they only made it a little shy of girls school road to the east, just as the rail grade started into a cut. the train piled up between the two neighborhoods. they got very lucky it happened where it did.

i hope the crew has made a full recovery since then, i know they both had some serious broken bones.
This was a seperate incident.
In accordance with our lease agreements with the Army, graffitists at JPG will be considered tresspassing and a national threat, and shot on sight.
-CMPA: HO
http://www.sites.google.com/site/cmpaho

Caleb

• Superintendent
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 06:48:28 PM »
Does anyone know where I can find a news article for the accident where the string hit the locomotive?

I was also thinking about giving those darned sergeants a second chance but assembling them myself so they'd operate better and giving some rolling resistance so they'd couple better.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 07:22:57 PM »
you would have to contact the Indianapolis Star.

Caleb

• Superintendent
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 01:38:15 PM »
I just found a thread on another forum that suggested utilizing a flywheel attached to the axles in all the cabooses of the train so that you would have to operate the train with care so that the slack doesn't wreak havoc like on a real train.

MDavis

• Superintendent
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 07:35:08 PM »
I just found a thread on another forum that suggested utilizing a flywheel attached to the axles in all the cabooses of the train so that you would have to operate the train with care so that the slack doesn't wreak havoc like on a real train.

Honestly, with the way physics scales down anyway (badly), I wouldn't worry too much about a detail like that
In accordance with our lease agreements with the Army, graffitists at JPG will be considered tresspassing and a national threat, and shot on sight.

Caleb

• Superintendent
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 09:01:40 PM »
That's what I thought. The thread was talking about a 1955 John Armstrong article and I figured with today's DCC, especially TCS's new momentum/real braking feature on the WOW, putting the work into something like that really isn't necessary although I do like the idea.

Caleb

• Superintendent
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 09:02:54 PM »
It's just like with the Sergeant couplers, the concept is great but if only they could make them so that they work at least half the time.

MDavis

• Superintendent
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 02:52:24 PM »
It's just like with the Sergeant couplers, the concept is great but if only they could make them so that they work at least half the time.

That's literally another topic, but I think you ended up with some lemons. Actually, there was a discussion on rthe Sargent Yahoo group last weekend that there may be some casting issues keeping some of the Type E kits from locking all the way. Not all of them, mine worked well, (most of my Sargent equipment is in storgae--no layout) just a bad batch

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 08:35:20 PM »
Its been 2 plus years since Ive bought any sergents but I never had a issue.  My guess is now that there popularity has taken over the casting issues will arise. 
I hope any issues are resolved as thry are good couplers

Caleb

• Superintendent
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 08:02:08 AM »
I know this sort of defeats part of their purpose but I wonder if theres a way to file them down and put self centering springs in the boxes on the locomotives and some railcars.

MDavis

• Superintendent
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2015, 03:35:20 PM »
I know this sort of defeats part of their purpose but I wonder if theres a way to file them down and put self centering springs in the boxes on the locomotives and some railcars.

the crafty decentering strings that are shaped like a couple box will fit just fine, also I think the knots in the coupler shank that's supposed to take a small spring is as much for sending as it is for attention but I don't know that for sure