Author Topic: B&O brush clearing  (Read 7481 times)

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
Re: B&O brush clearing
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2015, 11:53:20 PM »
a little update. the wayne township fire support services division, along with the fire chief and Township Treasurer, cleared the B&O trail from raceway rd to tanzel rd about a month ago.

between the cheif and the treasurer, among some other members, have formed an informal group to facilitate development of the far west marion county segment of the B&O trail. The far west segment is defined from speedway to raceway rd.

I've also got word that the B&O trail will only extend into Marion County as far as Michigan st. As going any further east would not be practical among other reasons, such as getting next to industry, and crossing the belt. there really isnt a reason to put people down there in that part. Sidewalks along Michigan st and the proposed eagle creek trail will handle any connectors to the north, south, and east.

Well that and technically Michigan Street eastward has never been abandoned, it's still in use to store cars for an industry there.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

trafficcritic

• Dispatcher
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2015, 07:08:10 PM »
Went for a bike ride last week and found this large stack of ties in the ROW near North Salem at MP 150. Looked for metal but couldn't find much, just too many weeds in the way perhaps.

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2016, 08:22:46 PM »
There will be some work days going on through the year on the B&O in marion county. The focus will be to start at michigan st and go to concord, then possibly go west as time goes on.

If anyone is interested in volunteering just comment or pm me. So far there is another scheduled work day coming up in april, but there is a plan to push all summer long.

I know in the near future im itching to get my chainsaw fix again after being cooped up all winter. I've got the first few trees of the year to drop on the trail that others didnt get during the initial clearing section. I'll get some pics of the area when i do.

**EDIT. As far as i know, the section between concord and michigan we are clearing to the width of all 3 tracks in the remainder of the old moorefield yard, as shown on 1986 aerials.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 09:02:37 PM by doublestacks »
Steel is real and it feels no pain.

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 12:34:22 AM »
There will be some work days going on through the year on the B&O in marion county. The focus will be to start at michigan st and go to concord, then possibly go west as time goes on.

If anyone is interested in volunteering just comment or pm me. So far there is another scheduled work day coming up in april, but there is a plan to push all summer long.

I know in the near future im itching to get my chainsaw fix again after being cooped up all winter. I've got the first few trees of the year to drop on the trail that others didnt get during the initial clearing section. I'll get some pics of the area when i do.

**EDIT. As far as i know, the section between concord and michigan we are clearing to the width of all 3 tracks in the remainder of the old moorefield yard, as shown on 1986 aerials.

Rough area out there now. Might find a body or two....

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2016, 12:38:27 PM »
about a week ago we had to take out some trees between 267 (green st?) and 500E in Tilden. I snapped a couple of pics of where i was working at just east of tilden a bit. myself and a board member worked on monday, then the next day two more BOTA members and two workers from hendricks county highway department showed up and knocked out the rest of the trees. its always fun when you can cut down a tree and leave the mess for the contractor to clean up  8)

now that these problem trees are out we can move forward with the bid for the project. phases 3 and 4. the project will be asphalt from 267, west across white lick creek, retrofit the old bridge supports and abutments to hold a pedestrian bridge, and run a little more asphalt just west of the bridge a ways, then it will switch to limestone the rest of the way to 500E. This is going to be one of the bicentennial projects.

ScottFlood

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2016, 07:17:04 AM »
Doublestacks, any plans for a trailhead? I'd love to ride/walk the B&O, but it's tough to find parking nearby.

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2016, 12:00:50 PM »
Doublestacks, any plans for a trailhead? I'd love to ride/walk the B&O, but it's tough to find parking nearby.

on the brownsburg end you can park in this caldesac right here in thornburg estates. its actually labeled as a trailhead according to BOTA on their trail map if you was to check out their website. www.botrail.org

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.8142869,-86.4005151,66m/data=!3m1!1e3

the next place to park is on the avon side in the wynbrooke subdivision across from the community park.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7999083,-86.3324172,84m/data=!3m1!1e3

i use this one alot and nobody bothers your vehicles. its a nice neighborhood.

i would like to note that the section between 1000E and 300N is unpaved. It was sold to the town of brownsburg late last year, so they will be paving it in the future. as of right now its open, and its been sprayed with weed killer last year. so you can get to brownsburg if you are willing to ride over the ballast. you will just have to get off your bike at 300, walk down an embankment to get to the road crossing. they fixed this up last year, i have not seen it yet but i know its doable.

hopefully as funding gets better there will be some more pronounced trail heads put in.

monon43

• Dispatcher
  • Oh to have a time machine...
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2016, 03:33:49 PM »

the next place to park is on the avon side in the wynbrooke subdivision across from the community park.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7999083,-86.3324172,84m/data=!3m1!1e3

My gosh, did they cram every last house they could into this subdivision?!?  Man, I'm glad I live in the country...

ScottFlood

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2016, 08:36:40 PM »
Thanks! I'll have to give it a try. I'll stick to the paved parts for now ...

CatFoodFlambe

• Brakeman
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2016, 08:57:34 PM »
My gosh, did they cram every last house they could into this subdivision?!?  Man, I'm glad I live in the country...

The homes on the left are what they call "free-standing condominiums" -you get the same size house on a mini-lot.   Depending on where you live, it can save you about 15-20% over the cost of a normal home - not a bad deal for first-time buyer, no owner's fees
 and you don't have to listen to the couple fighting on the other side of your bedroom wall at 2 am.  ::)