Author Topic: B&O brush clearing  (Read 8025 times)

doublestacks

• Mogul
B&O brush clearing
« on: March 16, 2015, 05:01:22 PM »
Well i got to have some fun with the chainsaw today. I cant think of a better way to break it in then to be working outside in warm weather, on an old railroad ROW, unless i was getting paid of course. I managed to snap a few pictures, and collected a few railroad spikes. We are working on the Tilden section, starting at 500E and ending at 250E. Work will be running the last two weeks of the month, i'll be working at least this week, maybe next week too. Not sure about that yet.

The first picture is looking back east toward 500E.

2 and 3 are of a property line marker, seeing how i cant find any numbers on it. Its now used to mark a fiber optic cable. From what i hear its not in a protective sheath so they are not too keen on taking out trees on the north side of the ROW. Any idea when that cable was put in?

#4 is a pic of the whistle post for the county road 425N crossing. I only worked out there for a couple hours and didnt quite make it to the crossing.

With the help of Hendricks County Parks and Recreation, they sent out a bobcat with an operator to uproot the trees, then a couple of us with saws were going through and cutting off the root balls. It makes for some interesting cuts, its been a good learning experience so far. Got my chain stuck a few times but im glad im learning on little trees with a little saw instead of everything else being bigger, with bigger problems. So far the bobcat made it to 425N, and will be starting on the other side tomorrow going west. Also they should have a chipper showing up soon as well. There is enough brush on the ground today for a full days worth of chipping. I'm glad to be able to contribute to the clearing and ill be able to take pride in the path for years to come after its finished.

Only if Marion county would prioritize their portion like Hendricks county has. >:(
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 11:57:22 PM by doublestacks »
Steel is real and it feels no pain.

doublestacks

• Mogul
Re: B&O brush clearing
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 01:38:36 AM »
I saw this attached to an old telegraph pole the other day, i dont know what to make of it? It looks like some numbers written on an asphalt shingle? Anyone seen this before?

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 03:10:34 AM »
Is this for extending the B&O trail?

BourdonBoy

• President
  • A conductor of both kinds.
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 07:26:50 AM »
We are working on the Tilden section, starting at 500E and ending at 250E . . . The first picture is looking back east toward 500E.

That is the very crossing I used to ride my bike to, to occasionally watch them switching at the siding that was there.
I'm glad clearing work has finally begun on that part of the route.

I saw this attached to an old telegraph pole the other day, i dont know what to make of it? It looks like some numbers written on an asphalt shingle? Anyone seen this before?

That would be a mile marker, MP 140.30 in this case.  MP 140.0 was just east of Hendricks Co Rd 500 E.  I've seen similar ones at various places such as alongside State Street Yard.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 10:20:08 AM by BourdonBoy »

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 12:06:24 PM »
Is this for extending the B&O trail?

yes. we are working between 500E and 250E in Tilden. me and the bobcat operator are working west of 400E today. the chipper crew is working to catch up to us, but we are making good progress.

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 04:36:53 PM »

That would be a mile marker, MP 140.30 in this case.  MP 140.0 was just east of Hendricks Co Rd 500 E.  I've seen similar ones at various places such as alongside State Street Yard.

you are spot on with that one, i just saw another telegraph pole today just west of 400E. it read 141 over 10. not sure what the "over 10" means? maybe its to show that its a whole number and not a fraction.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 05:02:59 PM by doublestacks »

IndyHog

• Superintendent
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 08:44:44 PM »
Could be MP 141 Pole 10. In the old days there were so many poles per mile. They were used to identify your location.
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......wait a minute, He's much worse

BRC

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 12:06:50 AM »
141.10 is 141 and 1/10th mile. 141.2, 2/10th, etc. Trail is kind of a sore spot with me right now. Like the idea, but other issues surrounding it I can't comment on right now. As you hack your way west of Tilden, you'll also see the r.o w. for a siding which ran on the north side from the road crossing west of Tilden to just east of the crossing at Tilden. Tilden originally had a lap siding arrangement. Kind of a poor mans double track.

BRC

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 12:11:28 AM »
As you get west of the crossing west of Tilden, you'll see a big ash tree on the south side. This location was the top of the hill running west out of Moorefield.

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 12:53:46 AM »
As you get west of the crossing west of Tilden, you'll see a big ash tree on the south side. This location was the top of the hill running west out of Moorefield.

so if i understand you right, are you saying the ash tree is in this section right here?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.8249652,-86.4538017,316m/data=!3m1!1e3

BRC

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 12:24:28 PM »
That would be correct. Right about across from where MP 141 would have been.

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 05:03:13 PM »
cool, i'll have to go back through and look for it sometime. the chipping crew is working in this area at the moment.

i was working between 400E and 450N again today, i almost made it down to 450 and had a group of large trees to cut up. i pinched my saw again pretty good and was too lazy to go back to my truck and get my wedge and axe. so i tried rocking my chainsaw out of the cut and buried my chain into my bar, butterflying the end of it. so that concluded my week on the trail for me. next week they will be working some more. the bobcat hasnt started on the west side of 450N yet, but come monday they will.

i found one more whistle post, this one was broken over laying on the south side of the right of way. (conductors side if headed westboud) it was still attatched to the ground by a piece of rebar or two, so i couldnt roll it over, and its too heavy for one person to lift so i just left it where it was, but i did manage to photograph it. this was for the county road 450N crossing.

the next two pictures are before and after photos that was just east of 425N, at the west end of the section BRC was talking about. facing west. the leaning tree was my first widowmaker ive got to deal with. not to mention it was dead too. after a couple plunge cuts with the chainsaw i got it down where the bobcat can take over and knock it down. alot of the grade looks like this as you go west, being raised up, then it flattens out some west of 400E.

overall its been fun this past week and a good learning experience. about the same time i damaged the bar on my chainsaw, the chipper broke down because of slipping belts, and getting clogged up with vines and some wire. so everything kinda broke down at once. funny how that works sometimes.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 05:27:25 PM by doublestacks »

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 06:26:32 PM »
here's the goods i found. there are so many spikes through this area that if i stopped to pick one up every time i saw one i wouldnt get anything done. also found a nice lump of coal on the south side of the ROW.

i looked at what ties i could along the edge of the route and didnt find any date nails. i was hoping to find some.

BRC

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 02:25:45 PM »
Don't know if there are any old tie butts from that siding on the north side or no. Be your best bet for date nails. The main was rehabbed rather completely in '82.

BourdonBoy

• President
  • A conductor of both kinds.
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 04:38:22 PM »
As you hack your way west of Tilden, you'll also see the r.o w. for a siding which ran on the north side from the road crossing west of Tilden to just east of the crossing at Tilden. Tilden originally had a lap siding arrangement. Kind of a poor mans double track.

Where exactly did that siding start and end?  The only siding I remember (late '70s thru the end in 1992) was Tilden being on the south side of the main, only existing between 500 E and 575 E.  The grade crossing at 500 E was definitely just the main, no siding, during the years I mentioned.  I also spent time back in the day near the 425 N crossing and don't recall a siding in that area either.  Thanks.

BRC

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2015, 09:40:52 PM »
This siding was removed in perhaps the late '50's early '60's. It was gone well before I was born. The west switch started just east of the private crossing at Tweedys place. Ran down across the road crossing at Tilden and cut in behind the west switch of the siding which we remember. This info. from the guys who worked out there, things my dad recalled and my own explorations as a kid in the late '70's.

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 01:50:33 AM »
one last update for this year. i stopped back by on friday at the end of the 2nd week of clearing. the chipper had quit early, probably due to a lack of man power, and they needed to get wrapped up to quit on time. I didnt even unload my chainsaw or put down my coffee cup that day. The bobcat was grading off the ballast and getting things dressed up. I walked the path from 450N to almost 250E. There was a legal drain that crossed the ROW, and they cut down the rail bed to put a culvert in and didnt rebuild it.

a little past that someone dumped about 5 or 6 loads of concrete. however the bobcat did manage to clear the ROW west of 250E and 200E, out to the field and stopped. So it is open, but the timber was never cut up and chipped.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.831476,-86.4841366,315m/data=!3m1!1e3

in mapelwood there are a few owners with rights to the railroad land once it was abandoned, however the trail assocation owns most of what is in the town.

ill be looking forward in the coming years to do more clearing work. the scenery should get alot better as the clearing continues west.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 02:13:53 AM by doublestacks »

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2015, 10:48:03 PM »

I'm not very sharp on trees, but i went for a walk today from 425n almost to the field near maplewood. I snapped a couple pictures of trees in this section so i can better understand what you're talking about. The biggest one i can find in this section on the south side is a sycamore tree. between 425N and 450E. now in this section, the tree line running north and south, i did see a tree that resembled an ash.

the second photo i think is an ash tree. someone correct me if im wrong. but its on the north side of the ROW. Its the 2nd biggest tree i can find in this section.

turns out i guess the bobcat didnt quite make it all the way to the field on the other side of 250E. maybe 300' past 200E. I didnt go much further, and it was a good thing i didnt. I had a tick start to latch onto my leg from this area. The rest however is pretty clear walking.

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2015, 10:59:23 PM »
I heard from one of the BOTA board members today that INDOT will be opening the bid for trail construction between SR267 and 575E, including building the bridge over the west fork of white lick creek.

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 11:32:45 PM »
a little update. the wayne township fire support services division, along with the fire chief and Township Treasurer, cleared the B&O trail from raceway rd to tanzel rd about a month ago.

between the cheif and the treasurer, among some other members, have formed an informal group to facilitate development of the far west marion county segment of the B&O trail. The far west segment is defined from speedway to raceway rd.

I've also got word that the B&O trail will only extend into Marion County as far as Michigan st. As going any further east would not be practical among other reasons, such as getting next to industry, and crossing the belt. there really isnt a reason to put people down there in that part. Sidewalks along Michigan st and the proposed eagle creek trail will handle any connectors to the north, south, and east.