Author Topic: Logical Reasons For Certain Operations On a Layout  (Read 1067 times)

Caleb

• Superintendent
Logical Reasons For Certain Operations On a Layout
« on: March 11, 2015, 03:14:57 PM »
I am planning a large layout for the future. The railroad is my fictional regional, Indy Rail. The layout would set from Northern Kokomo to the old wye south of Cicero. There would be a large yard at Tipton with a classification yard and maintenance facility. On the railroad I am wanting Intermodal, Triple Crown, and even ballast trains but I can't find a rational reason for them to be on this specific line. I wouldn't want to make any extra facilities for these trains such as an intermodal terminal or a limestone quarry. For the Intermodal I was thinking maybe the CSX in Indy hands the train off to the Indy Rail so they could drop it off for NS in Logansport. For the Triple Crown maybe CSX ships the trailers up from Georgia and hands them off at Indy for the NS similar to the Intermodal. I don't know if any of those would make sense but any ideas would be much help. Thanks.

crfan59

• Dispatcher
  • CP freight to Lousiville on CSX' Hoosier sub.
Re: Logical Reasons For Certain Operations On a Layout
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 06:50:19 PM »
Stone could come from the quarry on the former Monon north of Delphi, then run it east on NS to interchange with you at Tipton for points south, west, etc.  Intermodal  /  Triple Crown trains could be handed off by NS at Peru or Logansport then operate them via the ex-Pennsy from Logansport or "reinstalled" LE&W from Peru to your terminal at Kokomo.  You then forward them to Indy to CSX for points south, east, or west.

crfan
One way, Your way, My way, Our way, Right way, Wrong way, Conway, Conrail !

MDavis

• Superintendent
  • VP; Webmaster Naptown White River
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 06:13:34 PM »
I am planning a large layout for the future. The railroad is my fictional regional, Indy Rail. The layout would set from Northern Kokomo to the old wye south of Cicero. There would be a large yard at Tipton with a classification yard and maintenance facility. On the railroad I am wanting Intermodal, Triple Crown, and even ballast trains but I can't find a rational reason for them to be on this specific line. I wouldn't want to make any extra facilities for these trains such as an intermodal terminal or a limestone quarry. For the Intermodal I was thinking maybe the CSX in Indy hands the train off to the Indy Rail so they could drop it off for NS in Logansport. For the Triple Crown maybe CSX ships the trailers up from Georgia and hands them off at Indy for the NS similar to the Intermodal. I don't know if any of those would make sense but any ideas would be much help. Thanks.

The problem you are running into is, the more roads you add in, the more expensive a move gets. NS and CSX do not want a middle man, anywhere, if its avoidable. Also, They prefer to transfer things at major points. for a road the size of IndyRail, Their hand-off points to the outside world aren't gonna be huge, and a large yard, NS is liely still only gonna alot the IndyRail a small part of it.

For example, at the NWR, there's a yard. Three tracs of the yard have access on one end to a branch line serving two towns in addition to the mainline. The other 4 tracks cannot and only feed into the mainline. And while that's as much real-estate issue, that has become the "West Marmon" recieving yard.

Tcrown traffic is tricky, because it tends to move in specific corridors, because of the way its built. Its possible that a CHI-Laf-Tip Triple Crown corridor COULD be established, but you'd need to provie the industry for it.

Speaking of Georgia: In the 1960s, after the LN/Monon merger, the Southern wanted to run 48hr service between Atlanta Georgia and Chicago. They told the Monon "If the LN merger is rejected, we'll match it." Then they talked to the Milwaukee, who couldn't get a train from CHI to BEDFORD in 48hrs, let alone out of the state. In the real world, the plan was scrapped. I have it in my head the Naptown Club layout was able to get the SOU's attention. Of course, when the Southern and Norfolk Western merged, they got their corridor, but it's fun to imagine.
In accordance with our lease agreements with the Army, graffitists at JPG will be considered tresspassing and a national threat, and shot on sight.
-CMPA: HO
http://www.sites.google.com/site/cmpaho

Caleb

• Superintendent
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 06:46:02 PM »
The whole railroad would probably be from Davenport, IA to Indy and maybe up some places up North around Rochester and Valporaiso but the layout only be a small chunk. I was thinking I should just do the layout from Van tower to Kokomo Grain on Morgan street.

MDavis

• Superintendent
  • VP; Webmaster Naptown White River
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 12:47:15 AM »
The whole railroad would probably be from Davenport, IA to Indy and maybe up some places up North around Rochester and Valporaiso but the layout only be a small chunk. I was thinking I should just do the layout from Van tower to Kokomo Grain on Morgan street.

Having some idea about fictional endpoints is a great start, especially on through traffic.
In accordance with our lease agreements with the Army, graffitists at JPG will be considered tresspassing and a national threat, and shot on sight.
-CMPA: HO
http://www.sites.google.com/site/cmpaho