Author Topic: Building a Layout With No Compression  (Read 1327 times)

Caleb

• Superintendent
Building a Layout With No Compression
« on: March 09, 2015, 10:01:48 AM »
I was just thinking about my dream layout, would it be very interesting to build a layout in scale form, 60' to the mile, with no compression, from Kokomo Grain on Morgan Street to the Tipton diamond? The railroad would be my fictional regional, Indy Rail. I'm just not sure if operators would get very much excitement from this since it would all be just open space and a few side tracks. I know this layout would be big, probably a walk-in 95x45'.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 10:38:09 AM by Iowa Interstate Man »

MDavis

• Superintendent
  • VP; Webmaster Naptown White River
Re: Building a Layout With No Compression
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 10:03:11 PM »
I was just thinking about my dream layout, would it be very interesting to build a layout in scale form, 60' to the mile, with no compression, from Kokomo Grain on Morgan Street to the Tipton diamond? The railroad would be my fictional regional, Indy Rail. I'm just not sure if operators would get very much excitement from this since it would all be just open space and a few side tracks. I know this layout would be big, probably a walk-in 95x45'.

I wrestle with the same issues. I really wNt to do the Madison road, but the three key landmarks, North Vernon, The Hil, and Jefferson Proving Grounds are HUGE space hogs to do it right, and for only one train, maybe two, is that really goung to be enough to be interesting?

There's plenty of examples though, the Logansport and IN Northern is a great little railroad. Maybe you can draw from those as examples
In accordance with our lease agreements with the Army, graffitists at JPG will be considered tresspassing and a national threat, and shot on sight.
-CMPA: HO
http://www.sites.google.com/site/cmpaho

Chessieguy42

• Chief Dispatcher
  • Gotta love it
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 10:58:45 PM »
I would like to do something along those lines with Knox County. Have the CE&D sub and the B&O. 1985 to 2015. You make a good point about making it to scale.
Long live the Chessie.

510Russ

• Dispatcher
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 11:10:12 PM »
I'm just not sure if operators would get very much excitement from this since it would all be just open space and a few side tracks.

Reminds me a discussion in one of the TRAINZ forums a couple years ago.  It went something like this:

To build a route in Saskatchewan, take a baseboard, and run a track straight across it.  Put a wheat field texture on the ground.  Now copy and paste that baseboard 250 time...

;D

I tried a kind of route compression in TRAINZ last year.  I wanted the journey from Indy to Chicago to take 1 hour in the simulator, so I scaled the distances accordingly.  But I did it across the board (pun not intended!) and I ended up having to delete 1 or 2 blocks from towns in order to keep everything in the right place.  When I started modeling parts of Indy, I had to double the scale because it just wouldn't work.

Today, I'd do interesting stuff in full scale, and I'd simply leave out large pieces of uninteresting stuff.

(Right now, I'm modeling the area around Union Station, hence the weird questions I've been asking on here about track assignments and such...)

-- Russ

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 10:21:49 AM »
Union Station is a neat place to model. But Remember you had 7 Railroads that came in to Union Station. You had the Monon, Nickle Plate, Prr NYC, B&O, P&E, and the IC. The Indianapolis Union Railway controlled Union Station. I would like to see pictures of your layout with Union Station. There is a Guy that has a Model of Union Station in N Scale that takes it to several Train Shows. it is a Real Nice Model. Denny Aleska made one in HO Scale for a friend of mine. I was trying to get Denny to do one for me in N Scale, but it was not meant to be. I grew up just West of Downtown.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 10:26:20 AM »
I think that there were 13 Tracks in Union Station. If you could come to the Historical Society Meet on Wednesday Night at MCL on South East St, Mel Hartley could answer all those questions that you have about Union Station.

510Russ

• Dispatcher
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 10:36:31 PM »
I would like to see pictures of your layout with Union Station.

A map from TRAINZ is attached.

I think that there were 13 Tracks in Union Station. If you could come to the Historical Society Meet on Wednesday Night at MCL on South East St, Mel Hartley could answer all those questions that you have about Union Station.

Yes, 12 going in on the East side, and 13 on the West side.  I wish I could have done the MCL thing, as I had a meeting tonight, as I do most Wednesday nights.  Every now and then I get a free one, so I'll have to keep this in mind.

Thanks,

-- Russ