Author Topic: WiThrottle help  (Read 951 times)

MDavis

• Superintendent
  • VP; Webmaster Naptown White River
WiThrottle help
« on: February 26, 2015, 11:32:31 PM »
I'm going mad, this shouldn't be that hard.

If any of you saw my previous thread, I was trying to establish a Wifi signal with no internet that we can use to host JMRI's withrottle network. Initially, I was planning to rig up a small Netgear antennae, but I unearthed a Linksys Router like one reccomended. That is now fully and offically attached to the Club's computer. One power supply, one Ethernet cable connecting it to the computer.

Beside it, the Club's PR3, tied both to the computer and the layout.

Now, here's the problem: I can connect my phone to the generated Wifi network. Not sure how to peak into the Linksys to see if it sees my phone, but according to my phone, it is connected.

Further, I can log into JMRI's WiThrottle network, turn it on, and see my phone connected to it. But when I try to possess a locomotive through Engine Driver, it takes me to a greyed out Throttle, and I get a repeating error that says "No communication from WiThrottle Server in 10 Seconds. Check Connection". Further, even though Engine Driver thinks I have selected a locomotive, WiThrottle on the computer list my phone and no selected locomotive. So SOMETHING is not talking to SOMETHING

I don't know much about networking, and my experience with computers is "Press buttons and read the error codes". My gut tells me that the problem lies between the WiThrottle and Engine Driver programs. It shouldn't be the Router, right? Because the computer sees my phone's ID. So anyone versed enough in the programs who could help me troubleshoot?

In accordance with our lease agreements with the Army, graffitists at JPG will be considered tresspassing and a national threat, and shot on sight.
-CMPA: HO
http://www.sites.google.com/site/cmpaho

doublestacks

• Mogul
Re: WiThrottle help
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 03:01:00 AM »
plug your pr3 into your router, not your computer. everthing goes through the router.

to login to your router, type in http://192.168.1.1 (default router ip) then login. username by default is admin. password is "password". once logged in, create a real password. make sure the ports for the PR3 are not blocked. from there you should see your phone connected.

once your pr3 is connected to the router, do a restart on it where you unplug the power, then plug it back in, unless there is another way to do it. just make sure you shut it off then turn it back on so it can properly introduce itself to the router, otherwise they might not talk to eachother.
Steel is real and it feels no pain.

MDavis

• Superintendent
  • VP; Webmaster Naptown White River
Re: WiThrottle help
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 10:58:42 PM »
plug your pr3 into your router, not your computer. everthing goes through the router.

There's no Ethernet/Cat 5 port on a PR3. There's a jack for a Printer cord (USB flat plug to D plug, most common on printers nowadays) and a Loconet port (7prong phone cable) bt no Ethernet. Further, Loconet (The Layout) only needs to talk to JMRI. (The compter) Loconetdoesn't care about wifi, nor is it built to process a phone system. That's why one needs the WiThrottle setup to act as intermediary. 

to login to your router, type in http://192.168.1.1 (default router ip) then login. username by default is admin. password is "password". once logged in, create a real password. make sure the ports for the PR3 are not blocked. from there you should see your phone connected.

Yep, been there, did that, permanently locked myself out of the router...  ;D >:( D'OH! But my phone can see it and connect.

Side note: some Android phones are clueless to WPA PK2 incription, so anyone else learning from my mistakes, program your router for WEP otherwise phones may have trouble connecting. Yes, it's less secure, but at least its not so secure no one can get into it, including you.
In accordance with our lease agreements with the Army, graffitists at JPG will be considered tresspassing and a national threat, and shot on sight.
-CMPA: HO
http://www.sites.google.com/site/cmpaho