Author Topic: Starting a Conrail Collection  (Read 2006 times)

Caleb

• Superintendent
Starting a Conrail Collection
« on: February 20, 2015, 09:08:18 AM »
I want to start an HO Conrail collection. I wanna have about 30 of the "unusual" units. So far I have a few GP15-1's and a C39-8. I want a few GE C32-8's. Does anybody know what other unusual (something not a GP or SD40) locomotives I should try and get?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 11:51:27 AM by Iowa Interstate Man »

railfan727

• Dispatcher
Re: Starting a Conrail Collection
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 11:34:06 AM »
SD45-2 - these started roaming systemwide right before the end.  I got several on video in Indiana (both around Indy and up north) in 1998 and 1999.

SD60I - These weren't exactly rare (there were 60 in the fleet), but Conrail was the only original purchaser of this model

C30-7A

C36-7

B36-7

B23-S7 (ex-Monongahela; 10 units numbered CR 2300-2309).  I did see one of these passing through Anderson once, so that is proof that at least one escaped Pennsylvania on one occasion!

B40-8
CSX 9000 series... 46 down, 6 to go!

Caleb

• Superintendent
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 11:52:44 AM »
Thanks. On the SD60 isn't the only difference between the M and I the isolated cabin the I?

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 12:04:15 PM »
Thanks. On the SD60 isn't the only difference between the M and I the isolated cabin the I?

For the cooling fans on the radiator section, the roof was 'lowered' a couple inches to drop the profile.  Something about overhead clearances somewhere on Conrail was the reason for it from what I remember.  The fans sitting flat on the top of the roof would have created problems someplace.  Maybe NEC with the overhead wires?

Caleb

• Superintendent
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 12:14:30 PM »
For the cooling fans on the radiator section, the roof was 'lowered' a couple inches to drop the profile.  Something about overhead clearances somewhere on Conrail was the reason for it from what I remember.  The fans sitting flat on the top of the roof would have created problems someplace.  Maybe NEC with the overhead wires?
Thanks.

railfan727

• Dispatcher
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 02:02:36 PM »

The "regular" SD60s (6843-6867) and the SD60Ms had this feature also.  Were the ex-EMD demo SD60s (6840-6842) modified to match the rest of the fleet?

The "I" indicates the presence of EMD's then-new Isolated Cab design.  The key spotting feature is a prominent vertical seam in the sides of the nose, with a black rubberized strip in it.  This is to help prevent noise and vibration from reaching the cab, to provide a quieter and more comfortable ride for the crew.
CSX 9000 series... 46 down, 6 to go!

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 03:19:54 PM »
You might want to contact Bill Skirvin at gmlggemd@aol.com and see what he has in Conrail that he may have for sale. Or you can call him at 317-509-7322.

4mula1

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 12:49:23 PM »
The SD80MAC seems to be a glaring omission from the units already listed.

Don't forget that Conrail ordered SD40-2s with Flexicoil trucks and not the HTC as was standard on the SD40-2.  While not an unusual unit by itself it is indeed different from the standard model much like the SD60 and SD60I.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 12:54:35 PM »
Well there is this thing................

If in doubt, Notch it out!

Ibflattop

• Engineer
  • KC9QZW
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 08:09:38 AM »
What is that Conrail "Thing" Indyspy?                Kevin   " the Ex Northern Indiana Squirrel"
LF22-" Head them whest"
"Stretch them! "
Wife asks" What is that Squirrel doing on that Antenna?? "
CIOR Engineer- "Taking up both mains and a siding"  Not called, E.O.T., Called "Running on Markers !

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 08:42:33 AM »
It was a battery powered shop switcher for moving locos around the shop.

Largest issue with it was it had trouble stopping the heavier locomotives once you got them moving. Made worse by the fact a couple of the shop had some hills on the shop trackage.

BourdonBoy

• President
  • A conductor of both kinds.
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 11:46:44 AM »
It was a battery powered shop switcher for moving locos around the shop.

Largest issue with it was it had trouble stopping the heavier locomotives once you got them moving. Made worse by the fact a couple of the shop had some hills on the shop trackage.

What sort of braking system did it use?

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 11:51:19 AM »
You know I am not sure, but I notice the traditional brake cylinders are gone off the Blomberg truck, but on top are a couple air tanks.

Some sort of Air I would imagine.