Author Topic: Indiana prototype modeling- Fictional vs. True to Life  (Read 2170 times)

Railfan407

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
Indiana prototype modeling- Fictional vs. True to Life
« on: February 11, 2015, 02:21:57 AM »
I'm preparing to model a 30x80 hollow core door in N Scale.  Running almost all CSX power save a Chessie patch unit as a local switcher.  I'm most interested in the terrain in Appalachia but want to stick to a more Hoosier theme.  Southern Indiana ideally.  A couple of questions-

Are there or were there in relatively recent history (say, last 25 years) any through tunnels on any main or shortlines in Indiana? 

Does CSX still, at least occasionally or for very specific situations, operate the gray cupola style cabooses? 

Street running- this is a huge deal on the new layout.  Can anyone advise the best way to model an Indiana street running scene and if so, has anyone tried using the Kato subsidiary street car track for this purpose?  Thanks.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
Re: Indiana prototype modeling- Fictional vs. True to Life
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 01:48:59 PM »
There are Two Tunnels on the Old B&O in Southern Indiana.. The First Tunnel is at Tunnelton Indiana by the Whiteriver. It is called the Ritner Tunnel and is 1,731 feet long. It is also known as Big Tunnel. It is located in Lawrence County on Highway 50. The Second Tunnel on the line is Located at Willow Valley and is Called Willow Valley Tunnel. It is 1,160 Feet Long and is in Martin County. The Big Tunnel is East of Mitchell and Willow Valley Tunnel is West of Mitchell. Hope that helps you out.

adamwelp

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 03:14:43 PM »
Not on the CSX network there is Duncan Hill Tunnel near Edwardsville on NS main line between Louisville and St. Louis. Also on former Southern tracks, now IRM trackage, is the Burton Tunnel.

Chessieguy42

• Chief Dispatcher
  • Gotta love it
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 05:07:19 PM »
I'm preparing to model a 30x80 hollow core door in N Scale.  Running almost all CSX power save a Chessie patch unit as a local switcher.  I'm most interested in the terrain in Appalachia but want to stick to a more Hoosier theme.  Southern Indiana ideally.  A couple of questions-

Are there or were there in relatively recent history (say, last 25 years) any through tunnels on any main or shortlines in Indiana? 

Does CSX still, at least occasionally or for very specific situations, operate the gray cupola style cabooses? 

Street running- this is a huge deal on the new layout.  Can anyone advise the best way to model an Indiana street running scene and if so, has anyone tried using the Kato subsidiary street car track for this purpose?  Thanks.

The Monon comes to mind when I read this.
Long live the Chessie.

IndyKing

• Mogul
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 06:29:51 PM »
Aside from the one near Duncan, the NS St. Louis District also passes through the 769' Patton Tunnel, which is situated between Taswell and English.  The only other tunnel in Southern Indiana of which I am aware is just West of Unionville on the INRD.  It is officially called Peterson Tunnel, although many refer to it as Unionville Tunnel, and is only ~500' long.
Cheers, Al

Railfan407

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 12:54:16 AM »
You guys are great, thanks.  Are any of the tunnels in use today or are they all on abandoned lines?

BourdonBoy

• President
  • A conductor of both kinds.
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 07:02:31 AM »
All are still in operation.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 03:31:07 PM »
The only tunnel that is not in use is on the property of Crane. That is on part of the Line that the INRD Took out. I think.

Railfan407

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 10:44:49 PM »
I think I will choose the Ritner Tunnel.  It's very near a good friend's house, and I didn't even know it was there.  Definitely will plan a trip this spring.  Anyone know if it's easy to access or is it distance viewing only? 

Railfan407

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 07:00:04 AM »
And can anyone advise if this B&O CPL is still standing guard? 

railfan727

• Dispatcher
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 02:08:16 PM »
I think I will choose the Ritner Tunnel.  It's very near a good friend's house, and I didn't even know it was there.  Definitely will plan a trip this spring.  Anyone know if it's easy to access or is it distance viewing only?

The west end is visible just east of the town of Tunnelton.  There's a road that parallels the tracks for a couple of miles or so, and it's right where the road splits away from the tracks.

The east end is only accessible by hiking on the right of way from the first crossing east of the tunnel, or by simply walking through the tunnel from the west end.  Which, of course, is not advisable...
CSX 9000 series... 46 down, 6 to go!

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 03:57:35 PM »
...or by simply walking through the tunnel from the west end.  Which, of course, is not advisable...

But not uncommon based on the number of photos taken inside the tunnel and floating around on the internet.

Railfan407

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 10:03:36 PM »
Right, I don't want to trespass.  I can appreciate from a distance hopefully.  I would love to see that CPL, which side is it on?

Railfan407

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 01:30:24 AM »
Well I've all but scrapped this idea.  I'm finding that one of the biggest obstacles to doing a layout the right way is deciding what I want to model.  I want this to be prototypical, but I want some flair and interesting features.

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 07:38:15 AM »
Well I've all but scrapped this idea.  I'm finding that one of the biggest obstacles to doing a layout the right way is deciding what I want to model.  I want this to be prototypical, but I want some flair and interesting features.
That is called using your "Modeler's License". Put a tunnel where you want it and have fun!  :)