Author Topic: Veedersburg P&E Bridge  (Read 2164 times)

monon43

• Dispatcher
  • Oh to have a time machine...
Veedersburg P&E Bridge
« on: December 29, 2014, 08:20:45 AM »
Photo courtesy of Steve Kruger.  The old P&E bridge between Veedersburg and Sterling.

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
Re: Veedersburg P&E Bridge
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 07:19:04 PM »
Very cool! And to think that the P&E and NKP crossed in Veedersburg. Oh to have a time machine. 
My neighbor many years ago was a retired ISP trooper. He began his adult life on the P&E between Danville and Indy.  He talked about a head on collision over a river(Wabash?). He had to jump into the river when they saw the approaching train. He said his RR career was over after he dried off. Its ironic that after he retired his next job was transporting train crews in a Chevy suburban.   ;)

Drovus

• Engineer
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 02:28:15 PM »
Considering that bridge was built in 1911, it still looks good.  Was the P&E abandoned through there in 1976 when Conrail started up?

I bleed red

• Engineer
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 07:53:06 PM »
west side of c-ville to olin pulled 82-83. original bridge was a through truss. not sure when it was removed and current one installed.

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 08:33:04 PM »
west side of c-ville to olin pulled 82-83. original bridge was a through truss. not sure when it was removed and current one installed.

Saved the photo and viewed it full size - 2048x1536. Date on this bridge is 1911.

I bleed red

• Engineer
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 05:56:29 PM »
My bad fellas. I had a brain fart and was thinking the Covington bridge. Turner out......

monon43

• Dispatcher
  • Oh to have a time machine...
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 03:12:05 PM »
Very cool! And to think that the P&E and NKP crossed in Veedersburg. Oh to have a time machine. 
My neighbor many years ago was a retired ISP trooper. He began his adult life on the P&E between Danville and Indy.  He talked about a head on collision over a river(Wabash?). He had to jump into the river when they saw the approaching train. He said his RR career was over after he dried off. Its ironic that after he retired his next job was transporting train crews in a Chevy suburban.   ;)
CSX2605, I don't know if you still live next to your neighbor or if he's still around.  If he is, would you mind asking him for some more details about this collision?  I've never heard about a head-on over the Wabash; 'course it could've been way before my time.  I'm going over the list of rivers/creeks/etc. in my head between Danville and Indy - Wabash, Coal Creek, Sugar Creek... after that it gets hazy east of Crawfordsville.

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 10:40:56 PM »
We left the hood back in '99. Not sure what happened to him since then. I could do some digging(thanks to the net).

IN1312

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 11:59:14 PM »
There was a head on over the Wabash at Terre Haute more than a century ago on the NYC.