Author Topic: Shelbyville - CSX  (Read 80651 times)

Bob

• Chief Dispatcher
Re: Shelbyville - CSX
« Reply #580 on: June 16, 2020, 10:51:20 PM »
Drove by Poet plant yesterday.  Looked pretty quiet, no vapor plumes rising out of the plant or anything like that but it did appear they were unloading a covered hopper or center flow car.  Anybody know what product they might be receiving inbound besides grain.  Looked like only one or two cars in the building and 3 more just outside.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #581 on: June 17, 2020, 07:53:48 AM »
Drove by Poet plant yesterday.  Looked pretty quiet, no vapor plumes rising out of the plant or anything like that but it did appear they were unloading a covered hopper or center flow car.  Anybody know what product they might be receiving inbound besides grain.  Looked like only one or two cars in the building and 3 more just outside.

May have been there for LOADING, not unloading.  All of the covered hoppers stored there are for outbound DDG (Distiller's Dried Grain), which its the left overs after cooking the alcohol out.  It is used as animal feed.  If the covered hoppers on spot where same style as all the stored cars, very likely that's what they where.
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #582 on: June 23, 2020, 06:54:39 PM »
There will be a Y236 making a nighttime run to Shelbyville with 5 cars for Knauf tonight.

crblue

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #583 on: June 24, 2020, 08:34:23 AM »
There will be a Y236 making a nighttime run to Shelbyville with 5 cars for Knauf tonight.
Running a yard crew all the way out to Shelbyville? Isn't that outside the terminal?

NRPC

• Brakeman
« Reply #584 on: July 06, 2020, 08:03:26 PM »
It looks like there has been recent rail car movements Oneal Steel.  The flange ways in their drive showed evidence recent movements.  Knauf also had cars on their lead close to the switch with CSX,with shiny rails through town. 

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #585 on: July 06, 2020, 08:33:10 PM »
OíNeal has been receiving cars for a few months now. Primarily plate on flat cars.
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

Alan2955

• Brakeman
« Reply #586 on: July 06, 2020, 10:50:45 PM »
It looks like there has been recent rail car movements Oneal Steel.  The flange ways in their drive showed evidence recent movements.  Knauf also had cars on their lead close to the switch with CSX,with shiny rails through town.

I crossed the line at Acton and London today. Looked much shinier than it has in recent months. Good to see.

NRPC

• Brakeman
« Reply #587 on: July 07, 2020, 09:43:29 AM »
Scrap, Are the cars for O'Neal inbound loads?  Do you know how many cars they get at a time and how often?  Many thanks in advance.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #588 on: July 07, 2020, 09:50:06 AM »
Running a yard crew all the way out to Shelbyville? Isn't that outside the terminal?

Itís been a free for all in so far as crews at Hawthorne in recent weeks...

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #589 on: July 07, 2020, 11:17:25 AM »
Scrap, Are the cars for O'Neal inbound loads?  Do you know how many cars they get at a time and how often?  Many thanks in advance.

Casual observation seems to be 1or 2 cars at a time, once or twice a week

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #590 on: August 19, 2020, 12:20:38 AM »
Poet in Shelbyville shipping outbound ethanol loads,  since itís excepted track out there, only 5 at a time.

Given the ethanol market, I would imagine CSX not really seeing urgency to upgrade track to handle more loads until the demand goes up.

Lt._Dave

• Dispatcher
« Reply #591 on: August 19, 2020, 08:00:03 AM »
Poet in Shelbyville shipping outbound ethanol loads,  since itís excepted track out there, only 5 at a time.

Given the ethanol market, I would imagine CSX not really seeing urgency to upgrade track to handle more loads until the demand goes up.

Thank you for the info.  I drive by often and wondered why it was only short cuts of tank cars.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #592 on: February 26, 2021, 08:19:01 AM »
Saw where they were going to be dumping ties on the Shelbyville, I think east towards Shelbyville for a tie project.  Donít know if theyíre trying to get it above excepted track to Poet, or what.

Laguna Man

• Superintendent
« Reply #593 on: February 26, 2021, 08:31:18 AM »
Hope someone can post some pictures of the work....

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #594 on: February 26, 2021, 05:32:17 PM »
i seen ties dumped along the track at both state st and franklin road over the past week. its quite a few bundles close together. it looks like they plan to replace alot of ties
Steel is real and it feels no pain.

INprinter

• Willing to railfan for deep fried pickles!
  • Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • Licensed Ham Radio Operator - K9SVL
« Reply #595 on: February 26, 2021, 05:44:57 PM »
Shelbyville yard has a whole string of gondolas staged on the yard track. There were two there earlier in the week, today there are quite a few more. I do know that the City of Shelbyville is once again threatening CSX to finish up the crossings in downtown Shelbyville(I told the City Fathers they should never let CSX leave town until the work was finished). That was the track work done along the Shelbyville Secondary in order to facilitate Poet traffic. There are still huge piles of old rotted ties in quite a few places along the track. Maybe those gondolas are there to facilitate a clean-up of sorts.

INPrinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
  • Railroading: It's a way of life, more than a job.
« Reply #596 on: February 26, 2021, 08:25:30 PM »
They are dropping ties.  Was supposed to start last week but the weather was a factor.  Supposed to be around 30,000 more ties installed on the line.  Old ties we donít own anymore.  They will be there until National Salvage decides to come get them. 
"Don't find a fault, find a remedy."

crblue

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #597 on: February 26, 2021, 09:51:51 PM »
John, stacks of neglected old ties does not surprise me.

There was a tie project along the Crawfordsville Branch last summer. There are still stacks old ties in Brownsburg and other places along the line. About half of them were hauled away within a month or two of the project's completion, but the rest have sat there all winter.