Author Topic: Shelbyville - CSX  (Read 80311 times)

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
Re: Shelbyville - CSX
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2009, 09:07:52 PM »
Found this price sheet...a couple of new crossing arms is around $2000, definitely cheaper than adding another mast or other options.  http://www.generalsignals.com/PDF/Gate_Arms_2005.pdf

I'd love to see crossing gate arms be replaced with automatic bollards, like those used for high-security parking lots.  Michigan is testing a bollard crossing system, http://www.ibarrier.com/120307.html

Although that's not as sturdy as the ones used by homeland security that can stop trucks in their tracks:
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2009, 09:27:40 PM »
OUCH is all I can say.  That had to hurt.  Can you imagine.

INprinter

• Willing to railfan for deep fried pickles!
  • Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • Licensed Ham Radio Operator - K9SVL
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2009, 06:40:16 PM »
Found this price sheet...a couple of new crossing arms is around $2000, definitely cheaper than adding another mast or other options.  http://www.generalsignals.com/PDF/Gate_Arms_2005.pdf

I'd love to see crossing gate arms be replaced with automatic bollards, like those used for high-security parking lots.  Michigan is testing a bollard crossing system, http://www.ibarrier.com/120307.html

Although that's not as sturdy as the ones used by homeland security that can stop trucks in their tracks:

Thanks for the info on the crossings. I was thinking about it after I had made the post and sort of came to the conclusion it must be cheaper to keep replacing them versus go for a permanent fix. It will be interesting to see what they do when they rebuild the crossing as part of a "Major Moves" state financed project.

Talk about a sudden stop! That would certainly make an effective RR crossing guard system.

Inprinter
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 10:05:00 PM by indrr »
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2009, 09:13:02 PM »
Thanks for the info on the crossings. I was thinking about it after I had made the post and sort of came to the conclusion it must be cheaper to keep replacing them versus go for a permanent fix. It will be interesting to see what they do when they rebuild the crossing as part of a "Major Moves" state financed project.

Talk about a sudden stop! That would certainly make an effective RR crossing guard system.

Inprinter

Perhaps they are going to be doing something with the crossing guards at the Broadway Street crossing. I noticed yesterday that they had sunk some new supports into the ground right in front of the existing crossing guard bases. One on each side of the crossing. See pics. This is probably part of the overall upgrade they are doing to SR44 through there in downtown Shelbyville.

Inprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2009, 11:13:58 AM »
Shelbyville paper had a story about the Rt 44 rebuild - INDOT's spokesman was quoted saying  "the Conrail railroad tracks crossing East Broadway Street would be closed for 45 days, most likely during mid-summer".

Glad to see INDOT is up to date on the lines current ownership - and are the tracks closing for 45 days, or the road  ;D   Anyway, it would sound as if a new crossing is planed as part of the road rebuilding project. 
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2009, 09:13:59 PM »
The big INDOT meeting with the construction teams at the Shelbyville Middle School the other night made no mention of actually closing the the "road" at any time during the construction period. Many times during the meeting they did say that if you thought traffice was bad now just wait! It will get much, much worse. They more or less guaranteed that two lanes, one in each direction would be open during the the construction period. Today for instance, there was one stretch where it was down to just two lanes and folks could not get into businesses because of open trenches across the entrance to their property. I think that is what they meant by "worse". I got some pics of the railroad crossing stuff that was deposited between Broadway St. and Hendricks St. that I will post when I get back into town later.

Inprinter

PS. Here is a picture of the crossing materials that showed up for the Broadway Street crossing. That small white building in the background to the right of the pile of crossing stuff is the CSX Regional office in downtown Shelbyville, at least according to the sign on the door on the other side of the building.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 11:53:12 PM by inprinter »

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2009, 07:24:02 PM »
With road construction now nearing the SR44 crossing with CSX in downtown Shelbyville there is a lot of road equipment and trucks operating in the area. Around lunch time today one of the dump trucks working the construction zone near the crossing took the crossing guard arm. Not sure exactly why the driver decided to forge ahead through the crossing but he obviously didn't see the arm coming down or hear the horn of the local as it was departing the yard and heading east to Indy. I was at the Hendricks St. crossing and going to setup and get a few shots of the local leaving town but as I was sitting at the Hendricks St crossing waiting for the local to clear through I looked west and noticed the large dump truck plowing through the crossing. Couldn't get a hold of the camera fast enough to get a picture of that but I did take a few a couple of moments later. By the time I got across the Hendricks St crossing and took a few pictures it looked like the dump truck was gone. On my way home later in the afternoon I noticed that CSX had already replaced the crossing arm. Fast work.

That's about as exciting as it gets in Shelbyville.

Inprinter

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
  • Modeling high Hood GP30s on the CERA ca. 1996-1998
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2009, 07:47:10 PM »
I don't think I have ever seen a crossing get damaged as often as the Broadway crossing.
               Christian
Modeling High Hood GP30s on the CERA based in Kokomo circa. 1996-1998.

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2009, 09:11:31 PM »
I just stopped posting it everytime that crossing arm was broken. Usually, it is due to high winds that just snap those long arms like toothpicks. I thought this one was sorta exceptional for that crossing.

Inprinter

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2009, 09:17:56 PM »
Last time I was down there, it appeared that new bases/wiring had been installed, so perhaps a better crossing protection setup is coming.

Hopefully the construction doesn't destroy the remaining evidence of the Tower that existed right there.  You can still see the concrete footers for the classic "Big Four" stilt tower at that crossing.  IIRC the base for the interlocking bed was still there too.

Practice Safe CSX

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2009, 08:17:11 PM »
CSX had a full crew working in Shelbyville today. They were doing some work on the track between the Broadway St. and Hendricks St. crossings. I saw them around Noon today. They had several trucks there and looked like a crew of 5 or 6 workmen. I'm not sure what they were doing but lots of tools and stuff were scattered about the worksite. I thought maybe they were doing some preliminary work for the new crossing going in at the Broadway but not really sure that was the case. On my way home later in the afternoon they had left the scene. I looked at that section of track as I crossed at Broadway St. but couldn't really see that much had been done. Maybe one of you CSX folks out there knows what the work session was all about. I haven't seen that many CSX folks in Shelbyville at the same time that I can remember.

Camera is in the shop for repairs so I couldn't get any pictures.

Inprinter

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2009, 07:47:20 PM »
A couple of loads of ties showed up in Shelbyville recently and were parked next to the new grade crossing materials that have been there for quite some time. These are there for an upgrade to the crossing in conjunction the SR44 road project now frustrating the local citizenry of Shelbyville on a daily basis. Can't wait until they start rebuilding the crossing.

Inprinter

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2009, 08:25:44 PM »
Think those might have shown up Saturday.  Saw a CSXT log loader type boom truck loaded with ties exiting onto SR44 from eastbound 74 Saturday morning on may way west.   Noticed there are now signs up stating road will be closed on or after 7/20, so I'm guessing crossing work is imminent.  Also looks like a new crossing is in store for Fairland - there is new rail laying out there for that road project.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 09:04:43 PM by scraphauler »
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2009, 10:20:11 PM »
That rail at Fairland has been there awhile. I think there is some roadwork going on there near the crossing that looks like it could include a new crossing. I think they are trying to improve the road(s) coming up from SR44 that could lead folks to the racino.

Inprinter

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2009, 11:21:49 PM »
SR 44 Crossing replacement that starts this coming Monday morning was the lead story in today's Shelbyville News. Link below has the whole story. This will be a real joy during the 30 day period for folks in certain areas of downtown, mostly businesses with daily truck deliveries. It will also interfere with the CSX crew's access to their favorite lunch break restaurant. However, they could choose to chow down at the Cow Palace right after switching out Knauff since it would be a short walk away.

Inprinter

http://www.shelbynews.com/articles/2009/07/15/news/doc4a5d48ae7604a029028901.txt

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2009, 04:53:09 PM »
They also dropped off this rail.

Inprinter

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
J774 has been abolished, and the job will be called 'as needed' off the extraboard.  No more daily service to Shelbyville, unless they call a job.  They go from getting 5 day a week service, to 3 day a week service, to 'when we feel like it' service.

Knauff was the only thing getting cars regularly.  I heard Toray had shut down, seeing as they dealed with mostly plastic for the automotive industry.  I doubt Culpepper Lumber was getting much, what with the housing market down.  The other few industries in Shelbyville never got that much in the way of service when the economy was good.

Practice Safe CSX

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2009, 02:33:40 PM »
I don't think I have seen a train(CSX) all week, maybe Monday. They might be better off just handing over S'ville to Indy to CIND. It's not surprising that they have eliminated the regular service. We already have one new CSX crossing at Progress Road on east side of town that has never seen a train, looks like we are going to have another one right downtown.

Inprinter

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2009, 02:42:15 PM »
Crew called today to work the job.  My guess is the 3 day a week service will continue, but with extraboard crew.  Regular crew was getting paid to work 5 days, but only doing anything 3 days.  Don't know why they couldn't have re-advertised the job or used them to do some Hill Yard work on the days they didn't need to go to Shelbyville.  I blame the local Management for not being 'creative' to get some use out of them and letting the situation continue as it did.

Practice Safe CSX

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2009, 06:20:28 PM »
The Broadway St. SR44 Crossing got blocked off today as advertised in last weeks Shelbyville News article. Doesn't look like any active work got done on the crossing today but work could start at any time.

We also had one of the "new" non-scheduled locals in town today around Noon at least switching out Knauff from what I could see.

Inprinter