Author Topic: Shelbyville - CSX  (Read 80312 times)

INprinter

• Willing to railfan for deep fried pickles!
  • Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • Licensed Ham Radio Operator - K9SVL
Shelbyville - CSX
« on: January 30, 2008, 12:02:51 PM »
Looks like the wind took down the crossing guard arms at the Broadway Street crossing last night. By 11:30AM when I went back that way at lunch time they had been repaired. I wonder if they just borrowed the ones from the "unused" crossing out at Progress Parkway?

Inprinter
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
Re: Shelbyville - CSX
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 01:00:25 PM »
They might have, but most generally they keep PLENTY of crossing gates around.

Jeffrey J Mitchell

• Engineer
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 01:41:46 PM »
I did notice CSX was working in the cabinet at Progress about 1 pm today. The only activity I've seen there in a while.

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 05:12:20 PM »
I drove by there a couple of times doing errands at lunch time. Finally, after about a 40 minute period they put the white truck on the tracks and headed West towards downtown Shelbyville. This was between Noon and 1:00PM. As I was going across the Hendricks St. crossing in downtown S'Ville the white truck with the two guys was sitting on track just at the East end of the "yard". By that time I had to get back on the day job. Not sure what they were up to.

Inprinter

Addendum-

Here are a couple pictures of the "white truck" out at Progress Parkway crossing around lunch time.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 08:51:51 PM by inprinter »
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
  • Modeling high Hood GP30s on the CERA ca. 1996-1998
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 05:58:19 PM »
Inprinter, did you happen to see what happened to those gates a few summers ago? I was seeing this whole thing unfold from the foundation for vine tower. There was a semi headed west on broadway there as the train was leaving the yard. The gate slipped right inbetween the tractor and trailer. Just snapped right there. The train ended up just cutting the gate into 1/4 and 3/4 pieces. Quite a sight!
                       Christian
Modeling High Hood GP30s on the CERA based in Kokomo circa. 1996-1998.

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 08:54:13 PM »
I don't remember seeing the incident. I do remember seeing a crew in there a few years ago working on those crossing guards. May or may not have been from that incident.

Inprinter

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 10:50:52 PM »
CSX crews were busy in Shelbyville today doing repairs to SR9 crossing on north side of downtown. They had the ballast all dug out on either side of the crossing and had pulled some of the pads out of the road crossing. Looks like they will be back at it maybe tomorrow since some large pieces are still laying between the North and South bound lanes at the crossing.
The white pickup truck was busy napping out at the Progress Parkway crossing once again. They were out there napping at lunch time around a week or so ago. They drove through town(on the rails) stopping about half way between the "yard" and Progress Road crossing for awhile. Probably checking out that bad piece of track that prevents CIND from making the daily run.

Inprinter

Jeffrey J Mitchell

• Engineer
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 08:48:18 AM »
I wonder if we will ever see any traffic at Progress Rd. Is the track under CSX prior to that crossing really that bad?

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 02:32:39 PM »
I've seen them down there twice in the last three weeks taking a look at the section between Progress Parkway and the "yard". Scraphauler has noted in some previous posts that there is red sign on the ROW that indicates the track is closed. That sign is a couple of hundred yards east of Amos Road overpass. You can see it from the overpass but I can't tell what it says. You can't see it from Progress Parkway crossing, at least I haven't been able to discern it while driving slowly across the crossing. The CSX ROW ends just East of Progress Parkway crossing. You can see the sign, there are several, indicating the end of the ROW. I think I put a picture on the Honda thread last year showing that. It would be nice to see some CIND traffic once again. The only that has even gotten close to the Progress Parkway crossing was the last ballast train the MOW equipment. I don't think an actual train has gone through that crossing yet.

Inprinter

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 04:28:51 PM »
It was a cold, icy morning in Shelbyville. CSX left there local out in the weather last night here in the yard. Snapped this shot around 8:00AM this morning. Apparently, the local must have broke down again since it was there overnight. This has happened several times over the past few weeks. Usually, they send another loco down to drag it back to Indy. This morning, just a few minutes after taking the pic, someone was up on the engine and had the side panels open. I had to get to work so this is the only pic I had time for.

Inprinter

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 05:40:36 AM »
Yessterday, CSX had a small crew working on the track at the East end of the "yard". Looked like they were working on one of the siding tracks and not the mainline.

Inprinter

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 07:23:24 PM »
Today, CSX had a crew doing some trackwork on the North end of town right at the South end of the Blue River Bridge crossing. Looked like they were putting some new ties and some ballast. You can see both in the picture. On my way home later in the day I noticed that the frontload they were using was no longer parked down by the Hendricks Street crossing like has been for the past few weeks. I also noticed that some ties have been thrown down along side the track on the West side of the Progress Road crossing as well even though it doesn't look like any work has gone on out that way. The red flag is still flying between Progress Road crossing and the Amos Road overpass as well. Since they hauled the equipment out of town it looks like it will probably stay that way for awhile.

Inprinter

Jeffrey J Mitchell

• Engineer
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 11:31:59 PM »
Crossing signal relays at Progress parkway are going to burn up if they don't get some relief.  :'( ;D

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 08:00:59 PM »
I really cannot recall ever seeing an actual train use that crossing. Drove through the crossing returning from the grocery earlier today and noticed that there is now a tree across the tracks just to the West of the crossing. Probably doesn't matter much since CIND doesn't come this way anymore and the CSX local never ventures out that far when coming back around for the trip back to Indy each day.

Inprinter

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 05:51:33 PM »
I thought I just took this picture a couple of weeks ago. More wind damage from the weekend storms. This time only got the crossing arm on the West side of the street. When I drove by at Noon during lunch it had already been replaced. If they could just fix their track that fast.

Inprinter

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 04:41:42 PM »
Took a good look at that CSX track section out East of Shelbyville between Amos Road Bridge and Progress Parkway crossing. I can see why CSX put up the red flag. The ties in that section look pretty bad. Mostly all rotted out and sunk way down in the ballast. Lots of spikes missing and little piles of them are gathered up and laying along side the track. There is still a tree down West of Progress Road as well. I also noticed that there are about a half dozen piles of new ties sitting along the South side of the track between Progress Road and the red flag so perhaps CSX is going to do some work on that section sometime in the future. You can see one of the piles from the Progress Road crossing and I thought that it might have been leftovers from the crossing installation, but with the other tie piles to the West it looks like that section is in for some repair work.

Put a few pictures up here as well. The first two are taken from the Amos Road Bridge looking West and then East. You can see the red flag in the East picture.

Inprinter

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 07:39:28 PM »
Update. The "red" flag next to the track is now gone from that location. Not sure if it is just knocked over or CSX removed or moved it to another location. Can't see it anywhere unless it is directly beneath the Amos Road bridge. The downed tree is still laying across the tracks.

Inprinter

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 08:17:31 PM »
That 'red board' marks the beginning of a work limit by MOW forces.  They've probably completed the work in that area and have turned their attention elsewhere.

Practice Safe CSX

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 04:10:10 PM »
Looks like CSX finally got the tree out of the ROW West of the Progress Road crossing. No Red Flag, no trees. Scraphauler, have you heard anything on your end regarding CIND returning to Shelbyville any time soon? I saw a gondola car on the end of the CSX daily today and got to thinking about the CIND once again.

Inprinter

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 07:43:05 PM »
Noticed that someone whacked the westbound crossing guard and signal lights at the Broadway Street crossing in Shelbyville sometime since yesterday. Noticed that this morning when driving into work. At Noon the pieces were still laying on the ground next to the signal post. When I drove home today at around 4:45PM today there was a CSX crew on sight doing some repair work to crossing guard and signal.

Noticed that CSX put a sign on the utility building at the Broadway Street crossing on the East side of the crossing indicating that this was apparently the location of the CSX branch office in Shelbyville :o). Didn't look like the office is equipped with airconditioning or any other creature comforts. Those poor folks occupying the "office" don't have any windows either.

Inprinter