Author Topic: Ortner 4 bay Southern project  (Read 855 times)

SOUfan

• Dispatcher
Ortner 4 bay Southern project
« on: December 21, 2014, 03:36:41 PM »
I feel like a little Scraphauler!  Customizing up to 60 Ortners to be correct 4 bay for the Southern.  Going to model a Western Division Albion, IL unit coal train of the early 80's with 2x GP39Xs on the head end.  Mask Island makes excellent decals for the project.  The ultimate project would be 96 hoppers with 3x 6-axles on the head and 2x 6-axles with a RC car in the middle.  Roundhouse only made 20 individual numbers so I am painting and applying decals to the rest.    I was lucky to score a half dozen bottles of the correct Southern freight car brown floquil from Hawkin's before it all goes away.  See my commercial if you've got some cars or load to sell!

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
Re: Ortner 4 bay Southern project
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 07:53:40 PM »
LOTS more expense to do one to one scale   ;D

rrnut282

• President
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 03:18:58 PM »
LOTS more expense to do one to one scale   ;D
Every time I walk through a hobby shop, I believe that less and less.   :(
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

SOUfan

• Dispatcher
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 12:48:25 PM »
Ha!  Both excellent points.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 03:31:52 PM »
Workbench to clean...try harder next time ;)

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 05:35:26 PM »
I feel like a little Scraphauler!  Customizing up to 60 Ortners to be correct 4 bay for the Southern.  Going to model a Western Division Albion, IL unit coal train of the early 80's with 2x GP39Xs on the head end.  Mask Island makes excellent decals for the project.  The ultimate project would be 96 hoppers with 3x 6-axles on the head and 2x 6-axles with a RC car in the middle.  Roundhouse only made 20 individual numbers so I am painting and applying decals to the rest.    I was lucky to score a half dozen bottles of the correct Southern freight car brown floquil from Hawkin's before it all goes away.  See my commercial if you've got some cars or load to sell!

To fully complete the scraphauler experience... take them and make one that has been trashed by a grapple. Then make one that has been wrecked and then mounted on an 89 foot TTX flat with the trucks sitting detached and mounted next to the car. THEN sprinkle broken loose parts from the cars all over your layout along the ROW.

Then, you will have the complete package.
If in doubt, Notch it out!