Author Topic: Google Earth overlay files  (Read 2698 times)

Cmdr_Suds

• Superintendent
  • Notch eight and sanding!
Google Earth overlay files
« on: September 07, 2014, 08:10:52 PM »
Has any one seen or has Google earth overlay files of all the railways in IL, OH, KY, or any other states similar to what Nathan did?  I love using his GE overlay of all of the Indiana RRs.
"No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced."

SemperVaporo

• Dispatcher
Re: Google Earth overlay files
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 09:15:55 PM »
My not knowing what Nathan did, I have to ask if you know that Google Earth has a method to display the RR lines built-in?
Semper Vaporo
Charles T. McCullough
CMBY RY

pkgs.

indrr

• Administrator
  • Tycoon
  • indrr admin
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 09:28:46 PM »
I am mapping the state's electric railroads. The progress is a the pinned topic in this board. The maps are GIS files converted to google kml files for overlaying on the online maps.

I also have railroads mapped--mostly trying to map the pre-Conrail abandoned routes that weren't mapped by the USGS/state--but the size of the file is too large for google as an overlay. It's been a long-time plan of mine to implement a mapping server on here to display both plus things like extant depots and shop locations, but that's still awhile out.

Google Earth (not online maps) does have rail as a layer, but I'm not sure of its quality--and it is definitely only current railroads.

To answer the question, I don't think so. I think the michiganrailroads site does have a good selection of maps, but I'm not sure of any overlays.
Nathan Bilger
-----------------
Board Admin, Webmaster
http://www.indianarailroads.org.

Tuxachanie

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 01:17:18 PM »
I've been slowly working on Google Earth maps of all railroads in the United States. Needless to say it is a slow process, especially if it's just myself and a couple of others. It would be a project better suited for a team effort of like-minded individuals, but so far I haven't found too many others working on similar projects to team up with. Paul Delamere has done fabulous work on a similar project for various provinces in Canada. John Smith has done great stuff in Illinois mostly. What I have done so far is posted at http://www.msrailroads.com/Google_earth.htm . At the bottom of the page the files are broken up by railroad for the larger railroads. My goal is to map the main lines first, then go back and add individual tracks later using topo maps, track charts, Sanborn maps, etc. These include abandoned tracks. I've also started adding streetcar lines and electric interurbans, but I'm definitely no expert in these. Where I can find the info, I add construction histories to each line and abandonment dates. Clicking on each line brings up this info. We can also add structures and links to photos of depots, towers, etc. I also plan to group the files by state in the future, as well. As always, additions, corrections, and help is appreciated. Hopefully it will be useful to many if and when completed.

Tony Howe

Butch

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 10:53:13 AM »
Thank you!!  I've done a little GE mapping of the ghost railroads in Indiana and I truly appreciate your efforts.  I've started a little Google Maps site that simulates flying over Indiana railroads in a P51 Mustang at 325 mph, at an altitude of approx. 1200 feet.  Oh the work your kmz files have saved me :)  I originally created the site to download routes to my Garmin nuvi, but GE has improved their satellite imagery so much that I decided to create "flying tours" too.  Here's a link to my work => https://drive.google.com/open?id=1V9X5bDRluIc0XGwm4TEG5aDmXzfY0nLzGwjq9oUETXE

trafficcritic

• Dispatcher
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 06:31:07 PM »
Thank you!!  I've done a little GE mapping of the ghost railroads in Indiana and I truly appreciate your efforts.  I've started a little Google Maps site that simulates flying over Indiana railroads in a P51 Mustang at 325 mph, at an altitude of approx. 1200 feet.  Oh the work your kmz files have saved me :)  I originally created the site to download routes to my Garmin nuvi, but GE has improved their satellite imagery so much that I decided to create "flying tours" too.  Here's a link to my work => https://drive.google.com/open?id=1V9X5bDRluIc0XGwm4TEG5aDmXzfY0nLzGwjq9oUETXE

Awesome..Keep up the good work!!!!!