Author Topic: Unit Pipe Trains on CIND  (Read 26868 times)

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
Re: Unit Pipe Trains on CIND
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2008, 03:38:40 PM »
CORP 4030 with 4 tankers and 17 covered hoppers was westbound past house last night around 11:30 or so. There was also a dozen or so tankers already on spot at Kova/NextGen, so that's all the cars you where seeing. 

Have not seen next pipe train yet, but imagine it should be getting close.  Each train has about 7 miles of pipe on it - had originally heard 60 miles of pipe where coming, but recently heard real number is around 35-45 miles.  Eitherway, there will be at least 3 more trains - possibly as many as 5 more.  (Also, keep in mind, there has been some pipe coming in via truck, but only 150 feet per load).

Found out pipe is coming from mill in Oregon, just north of Eugene.  Even if the mill and the pipe train's route are uneffected by the monster storm walloping Northern California, you can count on Union Pacific being a total mess for a while in the Pacific North West/Northern California, which could delay the next train or two. 
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2008, 03:47:48 PM »
Also, for you Shelbyville folks - sounds like the first revenue train on the reopened line to Shelbyville may run VERY soon.  I have one car slated to go that way, plus CIND may have a couple cars for ISRR.  Could happen as early as this weekend - just don't know.  I think it will happen for sure within the next 5-10 days.
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

INprinter

• Willing to railfan for deep fried pickles!
  • Global Moderator
  • Mogul
  • Licensed Ham Radio Operator - K9SVL
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2008, 04:36:15 PM »
If you can please post something. I'm going to the train show at the Fairgrounds(Indy) on Saturday AM, but should be around the rest of the day and Sunday. I would like to get some pics of that first run back to S'Ville.

Thanks,

Inprinter

PS. Scraphauler, its hard to see much inside the Honda gounds with all those earthworks on the perimeter, but is there a passing track inside the Honda area? I've looked at some older aerial shots that have been posted but it's hard to tell. Going along the south side of the Honda property where there is a break in the earthworks it looks like there is a second track you can see at a slightly higher grade level. If there is a passing track inside the Honda area I was wondering why they didn't use it for the pipe trains the other day instead of backing the empties into the Lowe's siding.
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
  • Modeling high Hood GP30s on the CERA ca. 1996-1998
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2008, 04:46:27 PM »
There are several passing tracks in the plant as i understand it, i could be wrong though. I thought the same thing when i saw photos of the empties on the lowes siding. Scraphauler please do post if you can when the first revenue train will be.
                      Christian
Modeling High Hood GP30s on the CERA based in Kokomo circa. 1996-1998.

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2008, 04:48:27 PM »
I believe the pipe is coming from Cascade,link below, in McMinnville, Oregon. If so it would start out on the Williamette & Pacific Railroad. To add to what scrapehauler said, there are three storms that are converging on the area so yep, there could be some major delays in the area. I know UP has fired up the rotaries and sent them up on Donner Pass.
http://www.csrm.com/profile.asp

Have a good and safe day!

Go Reds!

Bob

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2008, 05:03:12 PM »
I was just through there at lunch time and all the pipe workers are just standing around.
I was by there 6 times over the last couple weeks.  I saw a lot of people standing around, but not a single pipe being moved.   On two occasions the machine being used to unload the pipe had a piece lifted off the flat car, but it wasn't moving - and for 10 minutes or so it just sat there, so I went on.  However, as of last Friday noon they had 32 cars left to unload which were all unloaded by the following Sunday afternoon (that's an average of 3.4 minutes/pipe assuming they worked 10 hours each day), so it seems to be a feast or famine operation.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2008, 07:19:53 PM »
Happened to luck into catching the empty train this afternoon on my way home from work - caught it at Sunman.  CEFX 9400 and CORP 4030 plus 5 empty tankers from Kova and the empty pipe train.  Whenever I hear/see something on the the next loaded train, I'll post as soon as I can (Won't be home tomorrow).

Not sure how much, if any, notice I'll have on the Shelbyville move.  I have a switch request in for Sunman which will happen on next local - either this weekend or early next week.  Included in this switch is one outbound from Sunman to go to Shelbyville.  As I stated earlier, I understand CIND has some cars (maybe half dozen) for ISRR as well.  If I hear or see it, I'll post as soon as I can.

Yes, there are plenty of tracks at Honda the the pipe train could use - problem is, none of them (except new main) are in service yet.  The ballast train could use them only under supervision of the contractor.  There is a siding that runs the length of the property from near the new RR building to near Adams.  Behind the Great Wall of Honda along CR 240NW is the "classification" yard and storage yard for the autorack.  That ends just short of were the earthen wall curves away from road.  After curve, along west side of property is another yard where the load out tracks are located.

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2008, 12:41:16 AM »
Not that it's worth much but here are some pics I got of IORY 4030 at Lowe's around lunchtime today.

Inprinter

PS. I was hoping to catch the empties or a new load of pipe coming into G'Burg today but it just wasn't in the cards.
Shelbyville-1st RR in IN: 7/4/1834. 1st RR abandoned in IN: K&S RR 1854, 26 miles. Making IN RR history. Without photons photography would be a black art. You can never get cornered in the Roundhouse.

Jeffrey J Mitchell

• Engineer
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2008, 05:03:11 PM »
Someone please set me straight. Where is Lowes? Is that on the line that used to go through Hope right off of 46?

Bob

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2008, 06:33:53 PM »
Fredandfred - Yes, Lowe's is on the former line to Hope and Columbus (was the Columbus, Hope and Greensburg Railroad).  Hwy 3 and hwy 46 are the same road for a few miles on the west side of Greensburg.  Lowes is just southwest of the northeast junction of 3 & 46.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2008, 12:50:26 PM »
CSX ran a pipe train of similar looking pipe yesterday from St. Louis.  It was a W905.  Not sure where it ended up, but had a trio of 4 axles for power.

Practice Safe CSX

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2008, 05:24:37 PM »
Perhaps it is at Avon waiting on the wreckage to be cleared from earlier today. There certainly isn't any "new" unit train sitting at the unloading site as of yet. I noticed that CIND had a crew at the SR3 crossing on the West side of Greensburg this afternoon. They were running the crossing gates up and down and folks just kept running right through the crossing with the lights flashing, just too impatient to wait 30 seconds. The picture I have posted shows the semi through the crossing just after driving around the gate.

Scraphauler, I saw some interesting video yesterday of some NYC freights coming up the hill to Sunman from back in the mid 1950's. The video showed some double-headed steam along with some combinations of steam and early diesel. Diesel looked like early F units. It was interesting to note that the ROW through there was double-tracked at the time. By the way, do you know who removed all of that double-track? NYC, PC or CR?

Inprinter

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2008, 06:01:23 PM »
Perhaps it is at Avon waiting on the wreckage to be cleared from earlier today.

Just did a check and it headed north at Terre Haute to Tuscola for a locaton called Metcalf.  Must be part of a different pipeline?

FYI trains are moving at Avon, everything has to use the Crawfordsville Secondary from S. Hunt to downtown.

Practice Safe CSX

Cheviot_Hill

• Dispatcher
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2008, 06:07:32 PM »
The double track your referring to was pulled up in sections once CTC came into play with NYC. Most of the rest was pulled by PC. By the time CR came allong thing were pretty bad. I think the line was emborgoed around 1974, when the Riley left. By 1975 or 76 I think there was nothing more than a local. From just west of Lawreceburg to Greensburg the line was shut down. No traffic at all until CR put in some ties with state funding to reopen the line It was handle by a local I think it was twice a week. That didn't last to long for the line went dormant again for years. Then Rail Tex or was it Central Railroad of Indianapolis bought the line and started rebuilding it. Double track ran from Cincinnati to Greensburg at one time.

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2008, 07:35:53 PM »
Being hatched in 1937, I can remember the line being double tracked and the double header steam. We lived in Price Hill and Mom and Dad had friends in Dillsboro that we would go and visit. I can remember Dad, being an old railroader, driving along the line and pacing the steamers. It was quite a sight and I can still vaguely see those trains in my mind, interesting what the brain keeps over all these years. When we moved to Peru in the forties I lost track of the line and here I am in my Golden Years living close to the line again. Moved over here about nine years ago. I remember the old refinery, Gulf I believe, that was down by where the new Kroger is close to Valley Junction. I also remember when we went to Dillsboro , sitting outside and watching the man made lightning and thunder, it was the firing of the artillery pieces at the Jefferson Proving Grounds.  Now, once a week I drive through the JPG to see what is happening with the Madison Railroad. JPG is nice and peaceful now, interesting to see the changes over the years.
Have a good and safe day!

Go Reds!

KM9X

• Conductor
  • I am near High Bridge MP 048 IN SUB
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2008, 08:32:40 PM »
Imprinter
Thanks for the pic on St Rd 3 of the crossing gate work.
That is so funny, we got complaints about it for 30 min or so, sent an officer, etc. not sure why they called us if the guys are working on it, nothing we can do. I saw that pic and showed the other dispatcher in here, and what a laugh! Almost like real time pics of our calls!
These people have got to get used to this rail traffic. Impatient, calling the police to complain because they had to wait 30 seconds while a gate is being worked on.. unbelievable!
Thanks.
thats what is so great about this board.. The HONDA and this pipeline thread are like right on it!

Dan in the 911 center
Greensburg

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2008, 08:34:51 PM »
Double track from Valley to Sunman remained until 1986.  Conrail pulled it up as they "rebuilt" the line with state $$$.   Conrail ran CIIN on Tuesdays and Fridays, INCI on Monday's and Thursdays.  CIIN usually was no more than 3 or 4 loads of lumber off Southern for Cullpepper in Shelbyville and INCI was usually just empties pulled from Shelbyville customers.  Premier Ag (who no longer has a siding) was Conrails only on-line customer in Greensburg - did MAYBE 35-40 cars total in the 4 years Conrail ran before line shut down again in 1989-1990.  

4 piscs attached - first is of the double track in Weisburg during Conrail rebuild in 1985.  Second is of Jordan Spreader creeping by the washout on the hill during rebuild.  Third is first INCI after line reopened.  Last is an oldy but goody - Brow tower in the 50's.  This is the current west end of Sunman siding.  Pics are scans from Junior Ammerman's collection

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2008, 08:39:17 PM »
Back to current day.  Not sure when Shelbyville move will happen.  CSXT reportedly has their track out of service from yard to property line.  Briefly poked around up there today, and it looks like there is a red board on track just around the curve to the east of the overpass (Not sure name of road - comes off 44 by Golden Coral).

IF the local runs prior to the next pipe train shows up, and IF they can get to CSXT, look for that move to most likely happen Tuesday or Wednesday.  If pipe train shows before then or CSXT is out of service, all bets are off.

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2008, 10:16:26 PM »
Scraphauler,

That is Amos Road. CSX has been out to the new crossing on Progress road(further east from where you are talking about) several times since back in October. I've seen them up and down that section between the crossing and the bridge with one of those white trucks. I've yet to see that crossing signal work except for one time right after it was installed. When you say "red board" is that some sort of block on the track like I've seen down around Honda in the past?

Inprinter

INprinter

• Global Moderator
  • Mogul
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2008, 05:55:50 PM »
I was down to the pipe site after lunch today. The crew were all huddled under a shelter next to the farmer's house. Looked like they were anticipating another load of pipe. I noticed that there was one of those white trucks out on the track just East of the CR520 crossing about halfway to Adams. Looked like there were several folks out there doing some work on the track. Couldn't wait any longer since I was running out of lunchtime and had to return to Shelbyville.

Inprinter

Scraphauler,

I see that red sign you are referring to just East of curve, you can see it from the Amos Road bridge. Do you think perhaps it marks the yard limit? It seems to be alongside the track and not directly on it.